Chapter sixteen

April 15th 1912

April 15th 1912

00:19 - 39 minutes after collision

The shock of the collision still evident in both me and Thomas, as we entered into the lounge area full of people. The music band playing to ease the passengers. As if they couldn't be more at ease, oblivious to the seriousness of the situation. One of the servers even tryind to serve us a drink.

We continued on, getting closer to the grand staircase, where more passengers were standing. Thomas seemed to be in a trance, just looking at the staircase. I merely followed him. Rose quickly located Thomas , "Mr. Andrews" she addressed him. I walked quicker up to them. "I saw the iceberg." she stated. "And I see it in your eyes. Please tell me the truth."

Thomas gave her a vulnerable look. He then distanced us from the other passengers. Although I noticed Cal coming closer, perhaps to hear what was being said. "The ship will sink" Thomas responded with a voice that was slightly shaking. "You're certain?" Rose asked.

"Yes, in an hour or so. All this will be at the bottom of the Atlantic." Thomas remarked while glancing at the first-class passengers and the crew present. "What?" Cal added in. I gave him a look.

"Please, tell only who you must. I don't want to be responsible for a panic, and get to a boat quickly, don't wait. You remember what I told you about the boats?" He replied, while looking at Rose and Cal- especially Rose. "Yes. I understand." She spoke quietly. Thomas began to walk up the staircase, I stayed back, looking at Rose I said, "Please Rose, get on a lifeboat, I don't want to worry about you any more than I already do."

Before she could say anything I quickly added, "Good luck to you Rose." And gave her one last smile before going up the stair. Trying to get to Thomas before I lost the sight of him.
_______________________________

Thomas and I hurriedly made our way back to our suite, our hearts pounding with a mixture of fear and urgency. The once vibrant atmosphere on the ship had transformed into a scene of anxious chaos, at least for us.
As we entered the suite, the reality of the situation sank in, and the seriousness of our predicament weighed heavily on us. Without a moment to spare, we began gathering our life vests and essentials, our hands moving with practiced speed.

"Eleanor, please make sure you have everything you need," Thomas said, his voice tinged with concern. I nodded, quickly securing my life vest and grabbing a small bag to put some of our belongings in. In the midst of the chaos, Thomas's calm demeanor provided a sense of reassurance, and I drew strength from his presence.

"Thomas," I said, my voice trembling slightly, "we need to find a way to stay together."
He took my hand in his, his grip firm and resolute. "I won't leave your side, Eleanor," he said firmly. "We'll face this together."