Prologue

BIMBO

With each minute passing by, my heart raced faster than a sprinter. I gazed at the men in green safety vest jackets gathered around the house with their enormous machines. I turned to my father who stood at the back. I could tell his heart was racing too, like mine.
I had no clue what these men wanted to do but from the look on Dad's face, it wasn't good. I held into the helm of my mother's gown and cleaved myself to her waist. One of the men roared the giant machine to life, and the long horn-like structure attached to the machine was lifted. Mother hastily left me and attempted to run to save the house. Luckily, some men stopped her, and she surrendered.
The long lifted arm of the machine was then pressed against the top of our beautiful house and everything was razed, including all my Barbie toys, my sticker books, and my drawing books. It all crumbled to the ground, dust saturating the air and I coughed.
Mom wailed and fell to the ground.

"All our hard work is gone! It is over Kunle!" She screamed in agony, raking her hair. Her eyes widened as she saw my dad on the ground, lying there lifelessly. The men laughed and mocked him.
"Just dey play," they said laughing in mockery. They thought he was feigning it.
"Kunle! Kunle!" My mother called as she shook his body vigorously, taking off his chieftaincy cap.
"Egba mi (Help me). Help me. My husband is not breathing" My mother screamed for help and they all gathered. The men picked him up and put him in their truck and my mother followed them.

I ran to the now-demolished house, tears already clouding my vision. I didn't know why I was crying, for my dad, for my mom, or for all my toys and drawings that had just been demolished in the house.
I picked up the pieces of the house and put them in my knicker pocket. A hand landed on my shoulder. It was the man who had been operating the machine.
What was he still doing here? Perhaps he didn't go with the rest to the hospital. In his hands was my father's cap. I snatched it from his hands and kicked him on his foot.
He winced in pain and I ran away to Iya Demola, a baker close to our house, and stayed in her shop.
**********
Hello dear readers👋. I trust you loved this🙂. Swipe up for Chapter 1.
-Morayo