I

18 years later......

I glanced around the serene environment of the eatery and subconsciously pulled my face cap downwards. The eatery held a quiet atmosphere, one suitable for me to relax and forget that my problems existed.

I looked to my side and saw a woman dressed in a white dress shirt and black slacks walking up to me. "Good day, ma'am. You look good by the way. Please what can I get for you?" She asked overly nicely and I cocked my brows at her with a skeptical look.
There was no way I looked good in baggy brown cargos and black shirt with a white face cap which was now brown on my head to conceal my messy hair.
I scoffed ignoring her compliment. "I'm actually not ready to order. I'm still looking at the menu" I replied opening the menu I had just noticed was on the table.

"Okay, just ring this bell when you need me," she said pointing to the tiny bell on the mahogany table. I nodded and she returned to the counter.

The eatery was scanty and quiet. Just how I loved it. I had not even come here to order anything, I had only come to relax, eat their complimentary bread, drink their water, and go home. I could never in a million years afford a place like this even if my boss decided to give me a raise. I picked up a piece of bread and threw it into my mouth, munching on it slowly.
"Hmmmm" I moaned
"This tastes better than Onyinye's food" I whispered.
"Really?" I heard a deep husky voice say. I jerked my head up to meet a tall, fine, and light-skinned young man. He was clad in a  black tuxedo with his hair neatly cut.

Well, that was embarrassing. I swallowed the bread and wiped my mouth. "Yes? How may I help you?" I asked putting on my most serious face.
"Forgive my manners," He said straightening his tie and taking a seat opposite me. "I'm Collins Ifeanyi Azuka," He said with an expectant expression.
"Okay. What na happen?" I asked.
"Should I bow down to you because your name is Collins whatever Azuka?"
He gasped at what  I said and said "No, of course not. I was just thinking that name would ring a bell"
"Well it doesn't," I replied.
"What about you, what's your name?" He asked.
"None of your business" I answered while he signaled for a waitress to come. It was the same waitress who had attended to me earlier.
"Oh, my goodness. Mr Azuka, we are so sorry we kept you waiting. It won't repeat itself, Sir. What would you like to eat today sir?" The waitress begged and I burst out laughing.
They both turned their heads at me. The waitress gave me a look that said "wetin dey do this one?". I held my mouth and my laughter subsided.
"Oh Temitope, it's okay. I've told you you don't have to keep giving me that kind of treatment." He replied and she blushed probably because he called her by her name "Temitope".

"I would like four sausages and two meat pies with a glass of orange juice," He told  Temitope. "What would you like to have my dear?" He asked turning to me.
I was shocked by his gesture.
"Ah me?" I quizzed pointing to myself and he nodded affirmatively.
'Omo! I only came here to chop bread but it looks like I'm going to have lunch and dinner here' I thought.
"Okay give me a plate of jollof rice and chicken as takeaway and then Amala and efo riro (vegetable soup) with a bottle of chilleddd coke. I will eat that one here" I said shamelessly and she eyed me while Collins had a neutral expression.
"What happened?" I asked Temitope who ignored me and sashayed away, her hips swaying from left to right.

"Uncle thank you o," I said to Collins smiling. He had actually made my day. "So please tell me your name?" He requested and I smiled. "Precious Balogun" I lied.
"Precious, just the way you are" he commented smirking and I shrugged.

"I thought you said it was none of my business," He said smirking once again I chuckled saying "Food is the way to my heart" and he let out a hearty laugh.

"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a doctor" He answered "Ewww" I simply said.
"Why eww?" He quizzed with a hurt expression.
"You doctors are too serious for my liking" I replied and he laughed again before I joined him in his hearty laughter.
"I like the way you laugh," We said simultaneously and Temitope came back with our food.
The aroma of my food was messing with my nostrils. I dug right in and stopped when I saw him whispering while closing his eyes. He was praying over the food.
"You see what I mean when I say doctors are too serious. It's just food, why pray over it, abi did Temitope poison it ?"