II

I walked briskly to the motor park looking like an insane woman. My skin was ashy, my wig wasn't placed properly and my clothes were as rumpled as rags. I looked hideous!
"A whole lawyer!" I said to myself.
I boarded a danfo bus straight to Lagos island where I walked and fixed myself up in the bus as I took the front seat close to the driver. The traffic had been advantage to me as I had time to go through files belonging to the client.

*************
"Omo! See the time you're coming" Lanre my co-worker said as I straightened my shirt walking into the building.
"It's a long story guy. Has Bayo left?" I asked, "Oga has left since o. He went with Josephine" He informed.
I hissed and said "you mean Jezebel". He laughed in response.
"Make she go, I never wanted to go anyways. Bayo doesn't pay me enough for that. Imagine all my salary, I dey use am for transport money to come here" I complained.

"I dey tell you guy"

I settled in the office and worked on the questionnaires Barrister Bayo had asked me to work on the previous day before I left to visit my parents.
I chewed the pen as hard as I could hoping the files in front me would disappear. I was tired of working. Just in time, my phone rang, it was Onyinye. I smiled and answered the call. "You called at the right time. I would have just fainted here" I started.
"Are you at work?" She asked
"Yes na" I replied
"But I didn't follow Bayo to the high court.  That Josephine went with him" I added and she laughed.
"Shey I was telling you to wake up, you ignored me"
"How far na?"
"I dey o, I'm on my lunch break. Are you going to that restaurant again today, you know for the free food?" Onyinye asked and I chuckled"You and food sha. No I'm not going. I'm not that cheap, unlike you"
"Says the girl who shamelessly ordered takeaway yesterday when a guy offered to buy food for her" she retorted.

"Yet, you ate that takeaway" I replied
"Why won't I eat it? After making me wait outside for an hour" she said and I laughed remembering her face when I had returned.
"Speaking of food, I think it's time for my own lunch break. Make I chop before Bayo comes"
"Ait!. Catch ya later Bimbs"
"Byeee!" I replied and terminated the call.
I got up from the office chair which must have been warm due to my over-sitting on it and left the office to the mama-put across the road.

"Mama the mama!" I hailed the mama Wale, the owner of the roadside eatery.
"Abimbola kilo sele?(what is it?)" She asked giving me a funny look.
"Ah ah now, mummy!"
"This one you're just praising me for no reason sha, I hope I'm safe" she said wiping her hands on her apron. She was darn right, I praising her for no reason because I had no money to buy food. The last two thousand naira I had was my transport back home.

"Mama I fit eat on credit  just for today,abeg I go pay you back tomorrow" I whispered to her ears clasping my hands.
"No wahala. Wetin you wan chop?" She said and I gave her a side hug with a smile on my face.
"Thank you mama. Emmm just give eba and better egusi soup"
"Okay" she said going to bring my food.
"Mama!" I cheered laughing.

My food came and I ate it in silence with different eyes on me probably wondering what sort of lawyer I was. I grabbed a toothpick from the plastic table and put in my mouth after washing my hands. "Oya na, mama I dey go. I go see you tomorrow" I said to mama Wale as I walked out and she nodded.

I crossed the road and went back to the office meeting Barrister Bayo and Josephine alighting Barrister Bayo's car.
"Oh oh!. I don enter" I muttered. Barrister Bayo took a glance at me and motioned for me to follow him. He looked angry for some reason. "Maybe they lost the case" I thought while I trailed behind him and Josephine walked to the office we shared.

We arrived in his office and he motioned for me to take a sit in front of his desk.
"Miss Ajayi, what is wrong with you? I know you have issues in your head but did you have to manifest it today of all days! Look how I embarrassed myself in front of judge Omokore and the whole court all because of you" He yelled and I bowed my head.
"Please fire me. I'm tired of working here" I begged in my head.