III

I laid on my bed as I  stared into space. The lights were off and the only sound heard was the bombinating fan, the one we had gotten since we finished our National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). I was sure when we both got married someday, correction, when Onyinye got married someday, she would show it to her children and grandkids. The white old standing fan was a major part of lives.

A million thoughts wandered in my mind like lost fulani cattle. Onyinye was in the sitting room watching television which I guessed to be Henry danger from the laughing track used by comedy shows echoing from the sitting room.

My phone rang, the call being from an unknown number. "Who is this one calling me now?"
I accepted the call and it was the sound of Collins voice saying "Hello Precious" that I heard.
"Hi" I simply said.
"Are you alright, you voice tells me you're gloomy" He said concernedly
"I'm not gloomy. I'm perfectly happy" I replied sitting up and placing the pillow on my thighs.
"Okay then, even though I know you're lying" He replied and he was right; I was lying. "Why am I always lying?" I asked myself inwardly. It was my mates would refer to as "toxic trait".  I hated it, it always seemed like the option I had and I did so swiftly. I didn't even need to think before I lied.

"What are you still doing up by this time? You're supposed to be asleep" I said.

"I think I should be asking you the same thing. You have a long day ahead tomorrow. You should get some sleep"

"No, you have a longer day ahead of you. You're a cardiologist remember?"

"At least I live close to the hospital. Going from your house to where you work is like travelling"

"It doesn't matter. Your job is harder, I don't even consider myself a lawyer like  that sef" I countered and that was how we spent the next ten minutes arguing about whose job was harder and who should go to sleep earlier. Quite amusing.

"Hey, would you be free tomorrow for a date?" He asked and I jolted off the bed. "What? Why?" I asked in astonishment.
"I just wanted to take you out on a nice date" he replied.
"Umm... I will never be available" I replied.
"What? How? Come on Precious. Just one date"
"Ha! I don't know about that. I barely know you, what if you decide to kidnap me. Abeg o, I'm the only child of my father."
He laughed and answered "I can't kidnap you even though you're so precious"

"I'll have to think about it but I'm definitely not going to be available tomorrow. I'm going out with my friend"

"Okay then. Go get some sleep. I'll call you to know your answer. Good night precious one" He said, "goodnight Collins" I replied and terminated the call.

Onyinye walked in immediately clapping her hands. "She's finally turning into a woman! Oh thank you Lord!" she shouted in excitement , lifting up her hands.

"What is it?" I asked.
"I heard everything you said. Wow! I never knew you and that Collins guy were already talking and now he's asking you out"

"He asked for my number today after he had dropped me off at the junction" I explained while she smiled coyly.

"Chai! Welcome to womanhood my friend. Do you know how many guys try to date you through me, all I tell them she's not a woman yet, she'll just turn you down" Onyinye said causing me to laugh.

"I'm telling you. If not that we're going out tomorrow I would have asked you go out with him"
"I'm not going out with him at all" I said laying down on the bed and her countenance changed.
"Why not? Bimbo what are you so afraid of? Because deep down, I know you somehow like him" She said dragging me back up.
"I don't like him and I'm not afraid of anything"
"Keep lying to yourself. I know you, you would never talk to a guy with such a calm voice let alone answer his call in the night."