VIII

"Why would you say that?That's my father!" He yelled. That was the first time he had ever raised his voice like that at me but I was not fazed.

Oga no dey shout for my head o, my mama chop craze born me.

"That's your father, the same man who took away my own father's properties and got him fired years ago. He ruined my family's life"

"What are you talking about? Just tell me exactly what happened" he urged.

"Eighteen years ago, my father used to work for the president along with your father, they were business partners and friends too. One day, your father accused my father of stealing government money so my dad was fired. All his assets were seized. My dad used to be wealthy, he had a big house and different cars. Everything was taken away. The house we lived in was demolished one day for no reason. He fainted that day and became paralyzed from his waist downwards. He health has been deteriorating since that day. I was bullied for it in school, my friends mocked me because me we had become poor. My mother had to start working as a maid in my  school and my father could never work again because of his condition. Now do you see why your father is a monster, my father never stole any money, he was a good man!" I cried out.

"I vowed to myself that I would get my revenge on A. Azubuike. I hate that man to the marrows of bone" I said.

"I had no idea , I wasn't even living in Nigeria then. I'm sorry about what he did. Nothing could ever justify his actions" he softened.

"I don't care about your silly apology, I'm not blaming you for anything"

"Eighteen years is a long time to hate someone Bimbo. I can't justify what he did but why can't you just forget it" he said and I hissed  loudly.

"Forget it? Forget it! How can I forget it. He killed my father! He took away everything I ever loved as a child. Do you know how hard it was for us at that time and how hard it still is for me? Or is it because he sent you to America to chill while he was making people suffer here!" I yelled in pains.
My chest was doing the thing again. I exhaled and inhaled.

"Do you love me?" He asked and I was dumbfounded.  I did not reply.
"Do you love me?" He asked again but got no reply from me.

"Okay then. I've got my answer then"

"I didn't say anything"

"That's still an answer. Do you love me more than you hate my dad or let me rephrase. DID you love me more than you hate my dad?"

"I don't know!" I answered.

"So you planned to ditch my party and go and do what? Kill him because of something that happened over a decade which you should have forgotten and lived your lived a fulfilling life. What happened to you? I've never seen this side of you. What happened to you taking an example from God? Man sinned so much yet God still loved him and sent Jesus to die for their sins"

"This is not the time to preach!"

"I'm not preaching! I'm telling you the truth." He retorted.

"Forget about this relationship Collins. I can't date the son of a monster. You may not know this but your dad hates my family. He'll never even let us date"

"What makes you think that? I was freaking going to propose to you!" He said. I knew he was hurting but I just couldn't bring myself to be in a relationship with A. Azubuike's son. His mom was great but his dad was the bane.
"My father is a changed man, I promise" he begged.

"People don't change Collins, your father is a snake, you may not know"

"Bye" he said walking out of the room with the broken pieces of my heart. Onyinye came back in.
"I'm sorry. I know what you want to say. You warned me, I know. I should have never dated Collins in the fisrt place. Look at me thinking I had a chance at love, when my mates have been served multiple breakfasts" I said. She embraced me.