The Naming Ceremony

I picked up the dress I'd planned on wearing to the naming ceremony

I picked up the dress I'd planned on wearing to the naming ceremony. It was black and backless, I adored it. It had some charms and metal pieces going across the back, little things that were meant to be pretty. I put the dress in before sliding into some black heels and doing some makeup. I was about to leave when my eyes slid over to the jewelry board. I decided to wear my favorite necklace, it was gift from Kipp before he disappeared. It's a silver necklace with a small dagger charm in the end of it.

I put it on before smiling. Then Peanut licked hand, looking at me. So I grinned and said, "sure. Why not. You can accompany me outside."

I took off her collar though and put her in a nicer black collar. One that would match my dress.

Once I went I downstairs, I already felt eyes on me. The last time I'd gotten this dressed up was for prom.

However when I went outside I watched the other trainees eyes slide to me. A couple of them let their jaws drop earning them a sharp elbow to the stomach from my brothers. But I didn't look at any of them. Only dad. When I got over to him he asks simply, "what are you doing here."

"I may not be graduating but I'm still your daughter. I feel I have it be out here. What is that phrase you use all the time? We need to have good representation?"

Dad rolls his eyes before he says, "behave yourself. And keep that dog under control."

I nodded and walked over to the garden wall. I leaned on it. Peanut sat next to me so I pet her, scanning the yard. After a few minutes a couple of the other trainees managed to break away from Newton and make their way over to me.

Then they got over to me one of them says, "well lookie there, you can be a lady."

I rolled my eyes and said, "listen if you three came over here to flirt I recommend you stop. I've got four older brothers, I really don't recommend getting on their bad side."

Then Rodrick, who'd noticed these guys slink their way over to me walked over putting a hand on each of the furthest two's shoulders before looking at the guy in the middle and saying, "gentlemen, you're not here to hang out."

They looked at Rodrick wearily before the one to the right says, "oh we know. We were just checking on her."

Then they scurried off back over to Newton.

I laughed before Rodrick says, "four older brothers?"

I rolled my eyes and say, "i do have four older brothers. It's not my fault one ran way and the other got married. And besides telling a guy I have four older brothers is far scarier then two."

Rodrick rolls his eyes before smiling and saying, "hi peanut."

She barked happily and jumped up on Rodrick so he pet her before he looks at me and says, "Newton and the other trainees have a surprise for you. But I know you're not a huge fan of surprises. So I wanted to warn you."

I got an alarmed look but he just walked away. Peanut trailing after him before she got a whiff of the snacks table and wandered away. I shook my head and followed her in order to keep her out of trouble. I was surveying the array of champagne. Secretly wishing I was of legal drinking age. Dad's weird. He runs a mafia. Where we do illegal things pretty much constantly, but he'd loose his mind if he knew any of his children were drinking outside of leg,a drinking age.

So instead I picked up a strawberry. Then I felt my stomach tighten and my heart beat picked up as a hand started at the base of my spine and worked it's way up before a voice I knew a little to well says, "you look stunning Rosalind."

I turned and found I was looking at Ferdinand. The only guy out of the group of trainees I'd sleep with. He smiles at me and my heart beat picked up.

Then he says, "You know, I was looking forward to watching you walk across that stage, it's a shame what your dad did."

I shake my head and picked up a champagne glass handing it to him before I say, "is this what you're wanting? Because you haven't talk to me since, what? My birthday?"

Then I picked a piece of fuzz off his suit before smoothing it back out and saying quietly, "so if you think you're getting any part of me as a celebration you can forget it."

Then I said, "Peanut. Dispose."

She growled and barked at Ferdinand. Getting the attention of my brothers. Then she growled some more, bristling and flicking her tail so Ferdinand backed up before saying, "we'll see, Rosalind. Everyone gets lonely."

Then his gaze slid over me before he walked off. So I snapped and Peanut stopped growling. I pet her ears and said, "good girl,"

I gave her a blueberry off the table before I walked away. Dad caught my attention and waved me over. So I walked and he asks, "what was that about, are you okay?"

I nodded and said, "I'm alright dad, I promise. Apparently I'm banned from defending myself, remember, so Peanut does a good job."

Then Dad says sternly, "Rosalind, you need to get your attitude under control."

I nodded and sighed as I say softly, "I'm sorry. I just, I worked so hard. And it feels like it was for nothing."

Dad sighed and put a hand on my shoulder before he says, "Rosalind, you made me proud with your score, and I noticed how well you've done. But there are more motivations behind you not being in the mafia then just the fact that you're a girl."

But before he could talk more, the instructor walked over and said, "we're read to start boss."

Dad nods and shouts, "gentlemen get lined up!"

Then he looks at me and cups my cheek with his hand before he says, "go find a seat."

I nodded and walked off.