Chapter 13

The next morning I go running around six. Only on my fourth lap around the circle do I remember I have plans to catch a movie with Lisette and Elise. My body aches from overexercising and lack of sleep. Showering quickly, I pull on a short black skirt, combat boots, and a striped black and white long sleeved shirt. By the time I reach the golden gates, Elise and Lisette are waiting for me.

Elise sobs into Lisette shoulders. The sound is heartbreaking and raw. At first I think it is just another bout of missing Roni, until I see the tears in Lisette's eyes. I don't even open the gate, running to grab the bars.

"What happened? Elise, Lisette, what's going on?" In the second it takes her to respond, I think of every awful possibility. Except the truth, I cannot even fathom what Elise says next. She looks at me with soggy brown eyes, sniffles, and says,

"Clove, Scarlet's dead."

With those three little words my heart stops. No. It can't be. It can't.

But I take another look at the tears streaming down Elise's face and I know, the unthinkable has happened. I don't even open the gate to let them in, I am off running, running to save Cato.

-------------

When I get to his house I am gasping for breath. "Cato!" I pound on the door, "Cato, let me in. I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." I think I'm crying but I can't tell. A loud crash comes from
inside Cato's house. I shake the door but it's locked tight. Curse this stupid security, don't they know the people we need to be saved from are ourselves?

I'm about to yell again when I hear it: a loud, guttural sob. Cato's gasping breath as the air is torn from his lungs. My heart aches for him. I try to use the keys he gave me but Cato has barricaded the door.

"Why?" He yells, and it takes me a moment to realize he isn't talking to me. "Why did you do this? She was everything I had left and you took her away!" Another loud crash, the sound of a table snapping against the wall. Cato growls animalistically. He gives a yowl that is a horrible combination of anger and agony.

"God, why have you done this to me? Why can't I just have one good thing? Why do you destroy everything I love?" His voice breaks as he yells.

"Cato, let me in!" I whimper but he doesn't hear over his misery.

"Fuck You God! Fuck everything!" Another crash, a howl of pain. Cato is killing himself in there. I pound on the door again as Cato curses a God I didn't know he believed in.

"Cato! Cato, please, just open the door!" This time it is me begging him to open up. Tears flow freely, my throat aches. For the first time Cato seems to hear me. But the crashing doesn't stop.

"Leave! Get the hell away from me!" He shouts through the door. "I don't want you here, I don't want... I don't want her dead." My heart breaks for him. Why is there so much pain? Then I realize that maybe this time, it is our fault. Yesterday, the cameras. This is Snow's way of punishing us. I am sick with regret.

"Cato--"

"Leave!" So I do, his sobs echoing after me as I run away, just like I always do.

------
CATO

I needed Clove to leave. My fault, all my fault. How could she ever look at me the same after what I have done? I didn't head Favian's warning. And he has killed Scarlet for it. I don't know for certain, I couldn't possibly know, but I do.

Why has God done this to me?

There is one chair I haven't smashed yet. I take brutal pleasure in cracking it open against the wall like he did Scarlet's skull.

Her eyes will never open, she won't come running from the door to greet her big brother, she won't play games with Clove, she won't beat me at chess and smile that cocky little grin I taught her. She's gone.

I curl up on the ground, too miserable to be angry any more. My body shakes. Oh God oh God. Ive lost her. Blood runs down my hands and I use them to wipe away my tears. But they won't stop falling.

She is gone and I am empty.

------
A/N please comment and vote! I'd love to know your reactions.