Chapter 47

CLOVE

It's taken several weeks for this to happen. And I think the entire time we have been working towards it, I never really believed it would work. But we have done it. We have found Favian's hiding spot, where he has lived since the peacekeepers evicted him from his house after he stopped showing up to train me and therefore didn't have money for the rent. Elise and her family have been helping us and it's a good thing, too. Because Favian is living in one of the most dangerous places in the district: the closed off part of the quarry.

Elise's father, Emile, explained to us just how dangerous this would be. The abandoned quarry is full of pits, holes, gas leaks, and prone to landslides. One false move could mean death. But Emile snuck Cato, Brutus and I in this morning anyway, because he understands that we have to do this. I know there is no way to hunt Favian without entering his territory. Now that I know about his spying I realize there can be no way to trick him. We have to come to him. We have to win.

As the door to the quarry shuts behind us, I can't help but feel a familiar sense of dread. There's a knife in my hand, Cato at my side, and certain death everywhere, just like the Hunger Games. Cato sees my expression and reaches out to me, but instead drops his hand to his side. He's been careful about touching me since the night of the storm. It hurts me to know that the ease we had is lost again. Who knows how long it could take me to feel safe again? It's not that I don't love Cato, my mind just enjoys playing tricks on me.

"You'll be all right, Clover," Cato whispers to me.

"Stick to the plan," mutters Brutus, "We're all getting out of here." He doesn't add alive to the end of his sentence but we're all thinking it. Carefully, we pick our way deeper into the mines, on constant lookout for Favian. Emile was able to snag some security footage so we know where he's hiding. Cato, Brutus and I have been studying the layout of the mines for a week but I have yet to watch the tapes containing Favian's hiding spot. I know where it is but can't bring myself to look.

We turn left again, nearing Favian, the ground sloping beneath our feet. With every step I have to wonder, can I do this? Will I be able to kill him? My breaths are shallow. They echo through the tunnels. Suddenly, the beam from my flashlight flickers and dies. Cato and Brutus each have one as well but I feel lost without a light to guide me. The two boys look at me but I shake my head in a silent gesture to show I'm fine. We don't dare light a torch for me in case the gases down here are flammable.

Deeper and deeper we go. The dark is suffocating, thick and heavy. It swallow the light from our flashlights. I have to feel the walls beside me to keep steady. Something brushes my hand and at first I jump back, only to realize it is Cato. His hand reaches for me again. Cato's pale face is illuminated by the flickering lights. He looks drawn, nervous. I take his hand and squeeze it tight.

Droplets of water make echoes as we continue our descent. My feet splash into a puddle and soon enough the whole ground is covered in an inch of dirty liquid. My shoes are soaked and any chance at sneaking up on Favian is lost to the splashes.

Too soon and too slow we reach the final turn. Cato shines his light into an outcropping in the rocks. We're in a massive cave, the ceiling far above us and probably unstable. I draw in a breath, expecting to see Favian any second. But he isn't here. Brutus climbs up to Faivan's lair and whispers down, "There's nothing here but beer bottles and piss."

My heart thuds in my chest. Where could he have gone? Cato and I wander the cavern as Brutus inspects Favian's lair. Just as I think we will have to leave, come up with a better plan, a low rumble spirals through the cavern. Cato and I look at each other in alarm. Brutus begins climbing down but it's too late. Favian's lair explodes, rock flying everywhere. A bomb. Favian was stupid enough to plant a bomb in this godforsaken place. I want to call out for Brutus but know we can't. Still, Cato shines his light to reveal a wall of freshly fallen stone blocking us from the way we came. From the way out.