Chapter 37

CATO

Clove returns that evening looking haggard. "I couldn't find her," she says, staring at the floor.

"She's going to be fine." It's Elise, how can she not forgive Clove? I mean sure, Elise is annoying from time to time but they're friends.

"I didn't need one more thing."

"Sorry," my hands dangle awkwardly at my sides. I always have that little compulsion to touch her hair or put an arm around her waist. At times like these I have to hold myself back. Clove plops down onto the couch miserably. I start to wonder what Brutus would tell me to do but stop. Presumably, Brutus is dead. Or being tortured. Or dead. He's probably dead.

The burning knot of rage starts to fuel itself again. Normally I would go fight it out but now I have Clove. On the other hand, it would probably do us both some good. I've been meaning to show her the fight ring, why not now?

"Grab your coat, we're going someplace." She stands up and obliges.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

---------

I pull Clove down the icy steps to the ring. It doesn't have a name so people can't refer to it outside of it. "This is where you went to fight isn't it." It isn't a question.

"Yeah, it is. But I brought you here because it's a part of me, not because I'm needing to hurt." She rubs a circle on my back. I take it as approval and push the door open.

A wave of heat washes over me. I sigh and strip off my winter coat. The air reeks of sweat and booze. Dim lights flicker everywhere except the brightly lit chalk ring. There isn't a fight right now so everyone turns to look as I come in. Link waves and jogs over. He's a descent guy. I hung around with him a lot while Clove was in the hospital. A few of the other guys and Josie wave cordially. Then Clove comes out from behind me and everyone flocks to her.

I've never brought a friend, never talked about my life with anyone here but Link. They don't really care, they're just curious. "And who is this pretty thing?" Asks Jed, the barkeep with greying hair.

"This is Clove," I start to put an arm around her protectively before realizing that she is gone. Clove is already talking to Link. A little piece of me is jealous that she's talking to him and not me. Instead of acting on it I leave them be and find Josie.

"You finally got that girl--eh?" She asks.

"I never told you about her."

"Nah but we could all see it. With her here, you don't even look like the same person. Keep her around, you here me boy?" I nod, trying to forget that Brutus used to call me "boy".

I find Clove and Link laughing over a story she's just told. Link claps me on the arm and grins. "I love this girl! Where can I get one?"

"Sorry, all mine," I say and take her hand. Clove smiles and asks if I'm going to fight.

"Yeah, I think I will."

"Good. It's been a while since I've seen you spar, better not disappoint."

"Yes, your majesty."

"Lose and it's off with your head." We both laugh.

When it's my turn I pull off my shirt and tape my hands. I've found that people will grab hold of the fabric so wearing a shirt puts me at a disadvantage. I catch Clove admiring the view and smirk. She just rolls her eyes.

The fight starts. A burly man named Onyx takes a swing at me. I've fought him before and won but this time is different. Clove is watching. I send a hard kick to his jaw and Onyx stumbles back. He tackles me to the ground and we tussle for a bit. Eventually I get on top and punch him twice in the face. It leaves me enough time to stand and block the next blow.