ch 9

Ahri's breath became slow yet unsteady. It wasn't one of those moments where she would look at Minho and lose the track of time ; she was sure that it was different from those few seconds interaction. This time, she could hear the ticking of the clock and even the beating of her heart. And although she was looking straight at him, she didn't know what she was looking at. It's one of the moments in her life, where she would think if she was dreaming or not.

And a snitch on Minho's face destroyed the boy's confidence. " s-sorry " She said helping herself with the tissue box.
"Nevermind. i'll go wash the dishes. you can rest " He said leaving the girl on bed and this time she didn't stop him.

By the time Minho finished doing the dishes and tidying up the place, Ahri fell asleep because of the medicine she took. Minho sat down beside the girl and realised that her temperature was high when he placed his hand on her forehead. There was nothing he could do as Ahri already took medicine like Yunjin instructed, yet he searched on the internet to find something that could help her. wet towel?

Ahri's body got relaxed as soon as a towel soaked in water touched her forehead. Her cheeks were still red but she wasn't feeling hot like before. Minho watched the girl changing her expression in her sleep and it made him smile. He softly placed his hand on her cheeks to feel her warmth against his skin, and for once again, he felt his heart beating on her sight. Minho didn't know when this feeling started tickling him from inside - was it when she gave him a shoulder to cry on? or was it the day when she stood up for him against everyone? Minho just started realising that there were many times where he could easily fall for her without his knowledge. Then for how long she had been residing in his heart? he had no answer. The only thing he knew was he wanted Ahri to stay by his side, for a long long time.

" will you believe me if i say that i will always be thankful of your love? "

He bit his lower lip before softly tucking her front hair behind her ear. " Ahri! thank you for liking me. i.. i also l- " and suddenly Ahri started moving in her sleep, which made the boy a bit startled but gladly she didn't wake up. He silently laughed at himself for trying to confess to someone who's sleeping tightly. And, thus left her house after soaking the towel in the bowl one more time.

Ahri woke up with no headaches but a towel placed on her forehead, which confused the girl at first but when she noticed the bowl of water in the side table, she figured out what it was about. While still unsure of why Minho did that, she got up from the bed.

" Aunty, you make the best curry in the world. I'm not lying. " Ahri commented as she filled her mouth with another bite of rice-curry. Her friends agreed and Changbin just mocked her for trying to please his mother. " If that's the case, i should charge you guys from now on " His mother joked before she started laughing at everyone's stunned face. Ahri was finally back after two days of absence in school and that's why they were celebrating in Changbin's family restaurant after their school was over.

As they were talking, a man in royal blue suit came inside and Changbin's mother took him as a customer, only till Ahri stood up when she recognised the person. " Your father is asking for you. I'm here to take you to home. " Ahri looked at the man with displeasure and then at Minho who was in confusion just like the others, before picking up her bag to join the man who bowed to Changbin's mother as he walked out.
Minho found the situation a bit strange, as he could sense the dissatisfaction with the way she looked at the man.

" I wonder why's her father calling her this time? " Yunjin wondered and everyone got a bit worried for her.

Ahri played with the fork as she sat in the dining table across her father. He didn't make any comment for long, which made the girl more anxious because the last time she remembered her father being all serious yet silent was before he broke the news of his second marriage to her. Her father took the glass of some expensive drink on his hand in a classy manner and started, " is all good in school? your studies and stuff? " Ahri nodded in response, not knowing why he asked that all of a sudden. " ofcourse it must be, after all i give them a good compensation" - The middle aged man said, still holding the glass between his fingers.

" since you're soon going to graduate this year, i'm planning to send you US. "

The words hit Ahri's ears like shooted arrows. He was planning to send her to US without asking her about it? what kind of a nonsense was this? she couldn't believe what she just heard yet didn't ask her father to repeat himself.
" Dad, i'm not going anywhere. how can you decide this on your own? " she questioned the man, who was slightly taken aback by her unbeatable glare.
" I'm your father. who else is gonna decide what's the best for you? Besides i have election coming next year, it will be best if you study outside the country where you won't have to deal with party politics. " Ahri stood up from her seat, her lips curled inside as she tried to hold her anger.

" Don't tell me you're doing this for me dad! I know you want to send me so that i can't do anything that will lower the possibility of your winning. Don't try to do your politics with me." Her father stared at her blankly before placing the glass on the table. It wasn't like he cared whether she knew about his actual motives or not, he just wanted her to leave. " I knew it will be hard to convince you, that's why i prepared this!" - he said, placing a file on the table about which Ahri had no idea.
" these are the papers of this property. i'm going to give your mother's house to you just like you asked me before, on the condition of you leaving country for higher studies. if you agree on that, then i give you my words that after your return, this property will be yours forever. but if you don't, i'll give this house for auction. "

Ahri stood in the same position with her eyes wide open. She didn't move or do anything, just there in complete paralysis, trying to process her father's words. The property he was blackmailing her belongs to her mother, his wife. Ahri's mother was the one who bought the house even before her father joined politics, so it was indeed precious to her mother. She made the house a living home with her love and left her memories there.  Ahri always wanted to own the house which got the name of her father as the owner after her mother passed away. She finally had the chance but at what cost? Wasn't her father too cruel to blackmail his own daughter with something so dear to her? Then again, her father wasn't the same person she used to know.

As she left her house to head back to her apartment with the file, her heart felt heavy and heavy with every step she took. The weight of her tears felt so unbearable to her, that she broke before she knew. Even if she could endure the pain of getting forced to do something she didn't want, she was distressed to think about Minho. What would happen to her and Minho if she went away? the question burnt her heart from inside. He would most probably get a girl he likes and only remember her as a friend he lost contact with. Ah! even imagining that hurt Ahri like hell. But she wasn't left with any choice to make, she needed to leave everything behind her. Including Minho.

" I won't tell him " , Ahri exclaimed when Yunjin asked about what she would say to Minho about her leaving the country after graduation. Yunjin was disappointed to know about Ahri's situation yet she couldn't do anything about it, she knew how important her mother's property was for her! " But he also deserves to know. Do you want - "

" i don't want to say goodbye to him. i- i can't say.." Ahri's voice trembled. Yunjin hugged the poor girl tightly, because that's all she could do at that point.