Chapter 29: the hunt begins

Before start this chapter I want everyone to say hello to Charlie. Charlie is my old chihuahua. We've had him since I was around ten. We rescued Charlie from the pound, and gave him all he could dream of. He is my baby, and my best friend.

A few weeks ago we found out his heart was failing. Soon after his back legs stopped working. I tried everything I could to make him comfortable, but he was in pain. On July 25, 2023, we had to put him down. I've never felt so empty inside. I lost my best friend. Please everyone, if you'd like, tell Charlie that he is a good boy one last time.
.......

Lucas sat there, fidgeting. The investigator had ruled his story out to be true. Now all that was left was the sweep of the apartment. He wasn't scared though. He'd destroyed any evidence of anything a long time ago. Adam, well, let's just say he's having a fun time floating down a river somewhere.

"Alright kid, listen," the detective said, sitting down across from Lucas.
"We didn't find anything from the search. Your story checks out."

Lucas just nodded.

"We've all ready sent out a search party, so just be patient."

Another curt nod.

"Also...there is a possibility that, well...she may be-"

"N-no need sir," Lucas said, holding up his hand.

The detective just nodded in understanding. It was a tough thing for most people to hear. Lucas couldn't bear the thought of you not being here anymore. If that ended up being true, he'd simply just have to kill himself.

.......

You'd learned from Alex's incoherent babbling that you were somewhere in the country. His grandparents farm house, or something like that. He'd locked you in the tool shed that no one uses anymore.

Tears and snot were crusted on your face. This morning was hell. Your vocal chords were shredded from all your screaming.

"It's no use, they can't hear you."

Alex had told you.

You shook, a chill raking your entire body. You were cold. You yearned for Lucas. You knew he'd do anything to find you, so it was only a matter of time...you hoped. Would he be able to find you? All the way out here, in the middle of no where it seemed. You were snapped from your thoughts when the shed doors opened. Alex had a wide grin on his face as he carried in a sandwich and a bottle of water. He set them down in front of you, and then sat himself down.

"It's lunch time," he said calmly, reaching down for the sandwich.

He picked it up, and shoved it in your face. You kept your mouth closed, turning your head. Alex frowned.

"Please just eat a little bit. I don't want you being hungry, because I know how you get when your hungry," he chuckled.

"Don't act like you know me," you seethed, glaring at him.

Alex faltered a bit, hurt washing over him.

"I know you better than anyone (y/n). You're my best friend."

"Was."

The was a pause.

"Excuse me?" Alex said, setting the sandwich down, and cocking his head to the side.

"I said 'was' your best friend. What...what happened to you?" You said, staring at the blond boy.

Alex sat there, still as a corpse.

"No, you're my best friend," he nervously chuckled.
"Besides, I haven't changed one bit! I'm the same old Alex you know and love."

You shook your head, tears pooling in your eyes.