Chapter Twenty Nine

Louis

Thanks to the gift card Louis left for Tracey in scheduling, Louis got Christmas off. He was able to spend some quality time with his sisters, which is rare despite them living so close by. He took an Uber over at six in the morning, so he would be there for the Santa gifts. He may be 25, but his siblings still reached into the toddler years.

He quietly turned his key in the lock, opening the door to find his mom brewing coffee in the kitchen. She smiled, tip-toeing over to him.

"Hi, darling." She sighed, taking him in her warm embrace. Louis rested his chin on top of her head, squeezing her back.

"Hi, Mom." Louis whispered, taking in her presence. She smelled like cinnamon and laundry detergent, a distinct memory from his childhood. Since Louis left home so young, he treasured any memories of his family. "Any kids up yet?"

"No, thank god." She chuckled, letting Louis go to pour a cup of coffee. She raised the pot in question, and Louis nodded for her to pour a second cup. "Should be any minute now, though."

He got approximately 15 minutes of solitude with his mother before the children all came tumbling into the living room, stampeding down the hall.

"Louis!" They cheered, ignoring the presents to pile on him. With six of them, it could be rather heavy at times. Louis didn't care. He just savored the moment until his siblings remembered the presents and jumped off of him.

Presents were distributed, children going youngest to oldest in circles to open gifts. Since Ernest and Doris were so young, they needed help opening gifts, which Daisy and Phoebe were quick to help with. They were next in the line, opening Barbies and new clothes. They were quite girly, but Louis found his ways to bond with them. Usually makeovers.

Fizzy got a new makeup set, and Lottie a new laptop. Louis got a new sweatshirt, bless, and the circle continued until the presents were gone and the living room was covered in wrapping paper.

Jay went to clean it up, but Louis took the bag from her so she could get a break before cooking breakfast. As Louis swiped up green and red wrapping paper, his siblings were busy showing off presents to one another. It was quite heartwarming. Even though Louis is useless in the kitchen, it's tradition for him to sit on the counter in his pajamas while his mother cooks Christmas breakfast. He doubts he would ever be too old for that tradition. Louis hoisted himself onto the counter, clad in plaid pajamas his mother got him.

Jay began throwing ingredients together for cinnamon rolls, Louis smiling at the familiar routine.

"So you're really never going to help cook?" Jay asked, pouring flour in a mixing bowl. "Ever?"

"Mom, I'm doing you a favor." Louis shook his head. "Harry got me my first ever mixing bowl yesterday. I'm hopeless." Jay looked surprised.

"Harry got you a gift?" She questioned, smug smile on her face. "How nice of him."

"Yeah, we're good friends." Louis shrugged, watching Jay knead the dough. "He was worried about the state of my kitchen."

"Giving gifts, worrying about you. I like this boy." Jay gave him a knowing glance.

"Mom." Louis groaned, running a hand through his hair. "We're just friends!"

"Do you want that to change?"

"No!" Louis cried. "He said he doesn't date co-workers."

"A good policy." Jay nodded, taking a rolling pin from the drawer. "But you never said what you wanted."