Chapter 1

Deafening screams filled the BCC Hall as Hyoseop stared into the darkness.  In front of him, a thousand specks of light were swinging from side to side like fireflies in the night sky, and white banners were swaying like mini sailboats in the dark ocean.  The fans were shouting enthusiastically as he thanked them for attending his fan meeting.

He felt a sudden rush of emotions.   "Is this happiness I'm feeling?" He thought.  "This has to be."  Suddenly tears began to well up in his eyes.  

He had been working non-stop for the past four years.  While the projects had kept him occupied, deep inside a sense of emptiness remained.  There was a void deep inside him that was still waiting to be filled.

Hyoseop suddenly flashed back to the last time he was in Thailand.   He had visited Phuket just this past October.

"SaWaDiKa!"  The hotel staff greeted him with a bright smile as he entered the hotel room.  He opted for a private resort not far from Kata beach.  He had planned this short getaway to surprise a special someone.  It was early in the morning and he barely slept the night before but he was excited to be able to spend time with her.

As he walked towards the balcony overlooking the beach, he took out his phone.  And then, the voice he had been waiting for.

"Oppa!" She screamed.

"Where are you Sejeongie?" Hyoseop said.  "How are you enjoying your trip?  Having fun?"

"Yes of course!" Sejeong said. "I am just getting ready for breakfast with my mom and brother.  Last night I went to this amazing restaurant and sang with the band.  We are heading to Kata beach this afternoon for some surfing lessons!  I'm so ready!"

"Really?  Wow that's amazing."  He paused as he took a sip of his Coco Yen.  "I miss you Sejeongie."

"I miss you too Oppa."  Sejeong replied.  "Could we turn on video chat so I can see your face before I head out?"

"Sure."  

As the video came on, Sejeong had the usual bright smile on her face.  It was the kind of smile that could light up any room.  She adjusted the angle of the phone on her selfie stick so that he could see her from head to toe.   She was dressed in a canary yellow dress with her long straight hair swept to one side.   

"Wow you look so pretty Sejeongie."

Her smile widened.  She was just about to reciprocate the compliment.  But instead of seeing Hyoseop's handsome face on the phone screen, there were palm trees, beach chairs, and the sight of a beautiful beach.

"Wait, is this...Kata beach?"  Sejeong exclaimed.  "Oppa, are you here? In Phuket?"

Hyoseop finally changed his phone back to selfie mode.  "Yes"  He laughed shyly.  "I wanted to see you, so I just hopped on the plane last night...and.."

"Ahh!!!" She let out a high pitched scream, "Since when did my boyfriend become so sweet?"  Sejeong wanted so badly to teleport to him at that very moment to give him a big hug. "It will take some time for me to get there.  You are about 30 minutes away from where I am now.  But I will see you soon.  I can't wait!"

***

"Ahn Hyoseop shi?"  The interpreter said.  Hyoseop quickly snapped back to reality.   He was still in the middle of the interview segment at his fan meet.

"Sorry, I missed that.  Do you mind asking the question again?" 

"Sure no problem.  So is this your first time in Thailand?"