Chapter 7

"Oppa, I'm here.  My plane just landed."

"Alright.  I'm waiting in the airport parking lot, I'll drive over to the curb once I see you come out."

Sejeong cruised through the San Francisco international airport terminal.  She had brought only a small carry-on luggage, with just the bare essentials for her three-day visit.  It was going to be her first time meeting Hyoseop's entire family and she was feeling nervous.  Coincidentally, this was also an incredibly busy time in her career.  Her new drama was just airing and her new album was launching in less than a month.  But in her heart, her family and loved ones always came first.

A car stopped in front of Sejeong moments after she came out of the airport.  Sejeong quickly hopped into the front seat.   Once the car started moving, she slowly took off her hat, sunglasses and her mask.

Hyoseop gently grabbed her hand.  By now, he had fully mastered one-handed driving, as he had the habit of holding her hand whenever they were in the car together.

"Did you do something different with your hair?  It looks really pretty."

"The subtle blue tint is cool, isn't it?"  Sejeong smiled, as she checked her reflection in the car mirror. "Oppa, what should I do?  I'm feeling nervous."

"Don't worry.  My family loves you and have been dying to meet you.  We'll be having dinner with them tonight.  They are out sightseeing now."

They pulled up at a three-story detached house.  It had a white stucco exterior with fancy black wrought iron railing on its balcony and front gate.  The terra cotta Spanish tiles on the front stairway complemented the Spanish-Mediterranean architecture of the house.  The place was steps away from the San Francisco Marina Harbor and had clear views of the Golden Gate bridge and the Alcatraz.  Hyoseop had rented the house for their week-long family gathering.

Sejeong sat down on the wicker loveseat on the covered balcony, overlooking the Marina.  

"Wow, what a view! This is beautiful. I can stay here forever."  

"Yes it's quite a view, isn't it?  We can see the sunset from here also."  Hyoseop said as he sat down next to her, handing her a drink.

"Can we make a pinky promise, Oppa?"  Sejeong asked, turning towards Hyoseop.

"Sure. What promise?"

"Can we promise each other that no matter how busy we get, that we make time to travel and see the world together?"

"I promise.  Why don't we visit Hong Kong together next, and then maybe the Philippines?  And then, maybe Japan again? "  

"It's a deal!"

Hyoseop kissed her cheek and put his arm around her shoulder.  Meanwhile, his right hand was tightly clutching the ring box in his hoodie pocket.

*  *  *

Hyoseop recalled the weeks after their drama ended a year and a half ago, and how aggressive he was in his efforts to stay in touch with her.

Since the night he confessed his feelings to her, he had tried to phone her every night before bed.  Some nights they were both too tired to chat, and simply said goodnight to each other before hanging up.  And some nights they talked for hours past midnight.  They might talk about something interesting that happened during the day or vent about things that were bothering them.  She never rejected his calls and through their nightly phone calls, they seemed to have gotten closer day by day.  She began phoning him when she got impatient waiting.  These nightly calls between the two of them soon became a habit.