Chapter 5

Hyoseop put on his cap and mask as he walked to pick up a bouquet at a nearby florist store next to his apartment.

He had a habit of giving Sejeong flowers, not only on special occasions, but whenever he had time or remembered to do so.  Selfishly, he liked spoiling her and giving her gifts because he simply loved seeing her beautiful smile.

He walked towards her apartment door, and was just about to ring the doorbell when he heard two people speaking on the other side.  One of them appeared to be a man's voice.

He saw Dae-hyun open the door in front of him.  Although Hyoseop had never met him in person, he recognized him from television shows.  The two of them proceeded to stare at each other for what felt like an eternity.

Awkward silence.

"Thanks for dropping by Dae-hyun."  Sejeong said nervously, trying to break the silence as she ushered him out the door. "So, hmm...I will try out your guitar and uh, I will have my assistant return it to you next week when I'm done playing with it.  Thanks again for lending it to me!"

"Sejeong.  That guitar is my early birthday gift to you. I had missed giving you a birthday gift last year as I was touring overseas.  Enjoy it.  No need to return it to me."

"Hmm...OK then."  Sejeong knew it was a losing debate,  she turned her head towards Hyoseop. "I wasn't sure if you have met my friend Ahn Hyoseop?  Hyoseop oppa this is Lee Dae-hyun.  He is an old friend."

"Hi."  Hyoseop extended his hand.  They firmly shook hands, as if in a business meeting.

"Nice to meet you. Well, I better get going."  Dae-hyun smiled as he walked towards the opened elevator door.  As he was descending to the ground floor, his smile immediately vanished.  He felt his heart sinking.  He knew that Sejeong had many close male friends and it was just a matter of time before she was in a relationship again.  But he had naively hoped that it wouldn't happen so soon.

"I'll wait for her."  He said to himself, "I just need to be patient."

***

Back at Sejeong's apartment, Hyoseop put down the bouquet of flowers on her dining room table.

He suddenly recalled a conversation he overheard almost two years ago.  He was in the dressing room where Sejeong was getting her make up done and he was sitting close by.  At that time, they were not close with each other yet. 

"Did you want me to cover this mole on your cheek?"  The make up artist said. "It's kind of like your signature mole, isn't it?  So I don't recommend covering it."

"Haha, yes that is my lucky mole."  Sejeong said.  "At least that is what my ex-boyfriend used to call it.  "He has the same mole, and in the same position on his face also, so maybe that's why he called it that."

Hyoseop had noticed the mole on Dae-hyun's face when they were staring at each other at the door.  Somehow he had a sense that he was more than just an old friend.

"By the way."  He said, "Why did you introduce me as your friend and not your boyfriend?"

"Our relationship is not public news yet."  Sejeong said, "You know how fast gossip can travel."

Hyoseop saw the electric guitar on the table.  As a logical and rational person, he was usually very good at controlling his emotions.  But somehow, he felt this sudden feeling of uneasiness.  He knew that the feeling was not anger, but somehow he just felt restless and agitated.

"Are you okay Oppa?"  Sejeong said as she pulled out a few tissues and began wiping the sweat off his forehead.  She knew he had a tendency to sweat whenever he was nervous or distressed.