Fifteen

Everything hurt. My head, my leg, my stomach. Everything. My whole body felt on fire. And maybe the sirens that I was hearing were coming to extinguish my body. But the pain didn't go. The fire stayed. Just like the sirens kept ringing in my head. Maybe it was a dream. Maybe it was reality. The only thing I knew was that there was pain and darkness. So much darkness.
It was a starless sky. The black sky wasn't filled with stars. Only blue flashes appeared. It didn't feel save. The stars are my comfort. They shine in the dark. But without the stars I can't shine, I can't life.
I heard someone cry. It felt strange. Hearing everything, but seeing nothing. Again a flash appeared in the dark. This time yellow. The continuing blue flashes stopped. The siren was getting quiet. I was being pulled away from the siren. Another yellow flash appeared. It came by fast and there was a sound of squeaking wheels against a floor. I could feel the softness underneath me. It was comfortable, like a bed, but it moved. I moved. I heard some voices. They were loud and I didn't understand what they were saying. And again that crying sound. It was from a woman. It sounded so familiar. Like I've heard it before. But before I could place it I was pulled back into a starless sleep. The darkness took over and consumed me.
I became the darkness

Again I heard the crying sound. But this time it wasn't dark. The was no black sky, but a yellow tinted room. I blinked and adjusted to the brightness. No yellow room, but a white one. A lamp shone into my eyes. It's light bright and it made my eyes burn. I blinked again and moved a bit, trying to sit up.
Fire coursed through my body and I hissed from the pain. But I sat straight up now and was looking in the eyes of my mother. She looked at me, sad, but at the same time surprised.
"You're awake," she said and tears were streaming down her cheeks.
"Mom, why are you crying?" I asked, confused about where I am and why she was crying.
"Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry." She said and I got more and more confused.
"Why are you sorry? Why aren't I in my room?" I looked around the room I was in and saw we weren't alone. A long young man was in the room with us. He was standing on the left side of my bed, looking at me. He had a white vest on and had some glasses on the top of his head. He had a stethoscope hanging around his neck and I looked shocked at my mom. "I'm in the hospital?" I asked, shocked.
"You passed out at the party and have been knocked out now for 5 hours straight. I was scared you would land in a coma." My mom said between sobs.
"What?" I asked, but my question didn't get answered since the doctor came into play.
"Your highness, I understand that you don't understand this. But I need you to explain how you got all of these bruises, they're quite severe and are a reason for you passing out." The doctor said and I shook my head instantly.
"I can't- how did he do this?" I asked, more to myself.
"He? Who's he?" My mom asked. "You mean Grayson?" She assumed and I nodded.
"He raped me multiple times..." A sob escaped. "I got my bruises from him hitting me." I admitted and my mom broke down.
"I'll have to tell his majesty this... the parents are supposed to know." The doctor said and he made his way outside. I wanted to say no, but he was way too fast.
Not even a minute later the doctor returned, this time with my dad behind him. "My daughter... why didn't you say anything." My dad said as he came over and gave me a hug.
"He was threatening me. You weren't supposed to find out." I started to cry.
"How long is this going on?" My dad asked.
"Three weeks now." My mom gasped as I answered. "It's not that bad-"
"It actually is. You have a fracture in your leg and have multiple bruised rips. Also the cut on your face is quite severe." The doctor interrupted.
"I was trying to lighten the problem here, Doc. That's not helping." I jokingly said and he chuckled.
"Sorry, your highness. But you had to know how bad of a situation you're in." The doctor said.
"Well thanks for the enlightenment. Can I go home now?"
"We need to run a few more tests. The bruises are too bad to let you go out in this state. Also you can't walk now since you have a fracture." The doctor summed up and I laid back on the bed.
"Just know that I'm super annoyed right now." I said and my dad chuckled.
"We get that, sweetie-" my dad said, but got interrupted as the door to the room opened.
"There is someone here, he says he's her fiancé." A nurse said and I started to panic.
"Send him away, please. And if he doesn't want to go you can send me to him." My dad said and I looked shocked at him.
"Wait- so I don't have to marry him anymore?" I asked. My dad would never let go of an agreement.
"Yes. You're free from that bastard. I don't want you to marry someone who hurts you." My dad said and I started to cry.
"I think those are happy tears... should we give you some space, Darling? Do you need anything else?" My mom asked and I nodded.
"Yes.. umm can you maybe send Pete here? My bodyguard. I have a favour to ask." I gave them a small smile, hoping they would cooperate.
"Sure, sweetie. We'll go now, we have to get back to the palace. Oh and Pete is just outside this room, he was committed to guarding you. We maybe need to raise his salary." My mom winked at me as she stood up from the chair she was sitting on. She walked over to my dad and linked her arm with his. "We'll see you later, okay?" And they left.
Half a minute later Pete came in. I gave him a little smile and he shook his head. "You really got yourself in a messed up situation this time, huh?" He asked and I could only shrug.
"I need you to do me a favour..." I said and Pete raised his eyebrow.
"What is it?" He asked and I stayed silent for a few seconds.
"I need you to get Lewis... but make sure my parents aren't here when he's here... I can't let them know him. It's too soon." I explained and Pete nodded.
"I'll go get him. He's downstairs in the waiting room. He really didn't want to leave you." Pete said and wiggled his eyebrows. I laughed at his stupidity.
"Just get him." I said laughing. And Pete left to find Lewis. The doctor took the opportunity to come back and ask me how I was feeling.
He took some tests and showed me the fracture with some X-rays he took. He also showed me how my ribs were, but they weren't broken, just touched. It wasn't bad and would heal within a week or two.
"Hey, Doc, I want to ask you something." I said and the doctor turned around to face me. He nodded and I smiled.
"Am I allowed to travel by next week?" I gave him a radiant smile, trying to convince him to let me go.
"I'm not sure, your highness. It'll be a risk. But I can let you go home in two days." He said and I nodded.
"That sounds good. Well in two days I'll ask again if I'll be able to travel than." I gave him a smile and he took this as a gesture to leave.
I was alone in the room for almost 15 minutes when the doors opened again. I expected it to be one of the nurses, but my eyes met chocolate brown ones as I looked up. A smile appeared on my lips as I saw his face again. "Hey..." I greeted Lewis, not sure what to say.
"Hey. How are you?" He asked and he came closer to the bed.
"Just a fracture in my leg and bruised ribs. I'm good though. How are you?" I asked him and he shook his head.
"I'm not important now. I don't want you to focus on me." He said and he took a chair on the right of me, the same place where my mother was sitting half an hour ago.
"Why did it take so long for you to come here?" I asked. I sent Pete away 20 minutes ago and was kinda curious.
"Well..." he said as he crossed his leg over the other. "I was getting some food since I had been sitting downstairs for 5 hours long. And exactly in those 10 minutes that I was gone.. Pete came to search for me." He said and I chuckled. "You know when I heard you were awake I instantly dropped my food and ran upstairs. I didn't even take the elevator." He said and I was laughing out loud now.
"You're such a sweetie, you know..." I said and just stared at him as I leaned my head against the wall behind me. "But... I wanted to ask you something. And it is very important and it will be a lot to ask." I said and he nodded. "Well I asked Doc when I was allowed to travel again. You know... overseas. And he didn't give me an exact date.. but I really wanted to go next weekend..." Lewis looked at me confused.
"I don't understand, how is this very important?" He asked and I shushed him.
"I wasn't done yet. Well I heard there's a Grand Prix this weekend... and I was wondering if you wanted to take me with you." I smiled as Lewis's face brightened.
"You're serious? Of course I would take you. But only if the Doc says it's okay." He said drop-dead serious.
I squealed. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I said and extended my arms. Lewis took the hint and stood up. He sat down beside me on the bed and took me in his arms. He was very gentle, trying to avoid my bruises and I let myself lean into him.
"You know I was really worried when you passed out..." Lewis started and I pulled away a bit, staring up at him. "Grayson wanted to pick you up again... but I pushed him away and picked you up myself. At that moment your parents came and directed me to a small hallway at the back of the room. They immediately asked for a nurse in the palace and eventually we called the hospital to bring an ambulance and take you there. I was so scared to see you like that... I had to take my own car and get to the hospital because your parents don't know about us.. and I-"
I interrupted him by giving him a small kiss on his lips. "Thank you..." I said and he gave me a small smile.
"Don't you want to know the full story?" Lewis asked and I shook my head.
"I have to rest first. We'll talk about yesterday later." I said and Lewis nodded in agreement.
"Yes... you have some rest, it's 3 in the morning, so it's probably a good idea if I go home as well..." Lewis said as he slowly stood up from the bed, but I grabbed his hand before he could step away.
"Please stay, I can't fall asleep if I'm alone."
"Pete is here, and your parents can come if you want..." Lewis said and I shook my head.
"I don't want them." I pulled at his hand and he intertwined his finger with mine.
"Only for a few hours. I need to train in the morning." He said as he sat back down on the bed. I laid back down and he did the same. He closed his arms around me and held me close as I slowly drifted off into a peaceful sleep.