Prologue

The rule for living in peace with my family was very clear: I had to keep the blindfold on my eyes, but I did not know for how long. It took less time than I expected; to tell the truth, I never thought that could happen because I was only four years old, and that was the first and last day I used the blindfold, at least in my home.

I remember that morning when everything happened as if it were yesterday. My mother was brushing my brown hair with force, and the pain made me tear up. It was obvious from the force and speed she used to comb my hair that she was in a hurry. As my eyes were blindfolded, I could not see the color of my eyes in the mirror in front of me. I also remember not being able to see my mother's expression. I knew that where I was sitting had a mirror in front of me because it was the dressing table, and my mother always sat me there to comb my hair. I did not have much to do; at the time, I had no idea what was happening.

She finished my hair, and I felt her moving quickly. I heard her open the curtains; anyone could tell she was waiting for something. It's too bad I was too young to understand much more than that.

"It's time," said my mother, closing the curtain.

I heard footsteps approaching me. I had an urge to want to move away, as it seemed to be about to collide with me, but that did not happen; instead, a hand, which looked like my mother's, took my wrist and pulled me hard. I heard more footsteps behind me; I imagined they were from my father and brothers.

My body trembled alone with fear; the tears flowed again without ceasing; my mother seemed more severe than usual; and it was so dark. The darkness scared me so much. Not being able to see terrified me. Today, I wonder if that was really the scariest thing. I think my fear today would be seeing the expression of my whole family. What was my mother's expression that day? What was the expression of my father or my brothers that day?

I felt a wind on my skin as I passed by something. I had the impression that I was outside because the light seemed greater, but I was not sure until they pulled my hands up. I felt something that felt like cold metal on my wrists, and then they let go of my hands that, now, did not separate anymore. Tears flowed; most of them were stuck in the fabric that was over my eyes, but there were already so many tears stuck that some came to escape. There were those that fell during the hair pull to be properly arranged, and then there were the ones that began to fall when fear dominated my body.

Suddenly someone picked me up and put me somewhere to sit, and the breeze stopped. It was when I heard the voice of my older brother asking my parents:

"Where are they taking her? What are they doing with her? Why is she the only one going? Mom, Dad? When will she be back?"

But the questions were never answered, at least not while I was around. It was only a little later that I heard a laugh. I had no doubt who that laugh was from; it was from my middle brother, who was a few years older than me.

"You got what you deserved!" he said, still laughing.

I did not know what was happening, much less where I was going. I already knew that I was sitting in a car and that my family was not going with me, but I had no idea what they were waiting to leave. Suddenly I hear the sound of someone running; it seems to come from afar, as if it were crossing the street.

"What's going on? Where are they taking her?" asked the voice of the boy who lived across the street, my friend.

"Go home, kid!" my father shouted. His voice sounded harsh.

Again, I hear someone running, coming as if from the other side of the street.

"I apologize," said the voice of a woman; if I remember correctly, it was my friend's mother.

It was when the footsteps returned from where they came from that I heard the car doors slam and, not long after, the sound of departure, and we left. We went away. I was shaking with fear; tears flowed more and more, and for some reason, I knew that the chances of me seeing my family again were practically nil if I could call them that, 'family'.

Hey guys! Thanks so much for reading this far! I hope you enjoyed this start! Next Friday we will have chapter 1, I'm waiting for you all there! Don't forget to comment and vote so I know if you like it!

See you next Friday!
Have a good weekend!