PART SIX

Erwin scanned the white surface of a paper. His eyes darted about, going from little sketches to small passages beside them. Y/N's reports were always interesting little adventures to partake in.
"He likes to draw?" Levi asked. He had a page of his own to look over. For what reason was his own.
"I ask for these." Hange added. A smile was on her face as she looked over a drawing of a field of grass and flowers. The scene was serene but had a little heading warning them of buried Titans.
"I know your sense of judgment," Levi handed the page back to Hange. "So what's going on? I know four-eyes here didn't try and bring a puppy home. Why bring in Y/N?"
"I think he's more of a cat." Hange said.
"He spent time in the Engineer Corps. Unfortunately, his time was cut short when he dropped out. From there, he was sent to the fields." Erwin explained with a sharp glint in his eyes. He set aside a page of Y/N's report and continued, handling each page with care. "His XO labeled him as a loner. A black sheep, if you will."
"I can see why." Levi took a sip of his tea. He savored the taste and aroma before continuing. "Never seen anyone like him."
"Precisely..." The Commander hummed. "The majority of his experiments were labeled as failures, deemed too dangerous or costly to produce. To his instructors he was reckless, but to a trained eye..."
"Hmph." Levi's gaze wandered to the nearby window. He wondered why he doubted Erwin's decision in the first place. "He used it as a testing ground."
"One of those failed experiments is here," Erwin showed them the page he read. On the white parchment was a crudely drawn blueprint with no specific measurements. Levi recognized every ingredient, the food can, the black powder, and the nails. Everything. "It would seem he perfected his craft."
"Which begs the question," Hange took the paper for herself and looked it over. "Why didn't he turn this over to the Engineers? Why hide it? A weapon like this would—"
"Which brings us to his track record." Erwin raised a hand to stop Hange's incoming rant. "He's shown a certain distaste for the inner authorities."
"Don't we all." Levi grumbled.
"He told me earlier that he was a hunter." Hange almost murmured. "Always, in fact."
"That brings us to the present. He made quite a reputation for himself delivering packages. Most were letters and packages within the walls. However, after Wall Maria fell he moved on to more risky opportunities. He began venturing beyond the walls, and sometimes into Shiganshina itself. His prices are steep, yes, but if you're willing to pay then he's willing to move or retrieve just about anything."
"Explains why you paid an arm and a leg for some Titan." Levi scoffed.
"That was merely a test." Erwin gathered the report and stacked it neatly, readying it for safekeeping. "A test of strength and will. And he pulled through, wouldn't you say?"
"Sure. The only problem now is keeping him here." Levi looked out the window to see him laid out on the picnic table bench. His hood was up, keeping the sun out of his eyes as he slept. "I'm sure brass will be excited to hear your request for a bigger budget. Again."
"They can't deny the results." Hange added. "With his help, our expeditions could take an entirely different approach. He's proven he's able to not only traverse the land but lure any Titans away, clearing a path. Just think of the possibilities!"
"That's great and all but you seemed to have forgotten that you hired a mailman. You can't exactly order him around." Levi had an unusually ornery frown on his face. At least one that seemed stranger than usual.
"So defensive." Hange hissed and held her chin. Upon her lips was a grin, an unsettling sight when the light from the window hit her glasses at just the right angle. "What's the matter, Levi? It's almost like you know more than us."
"He's in it for himself." The Captain replied. "I've seen people like him more times than I cared to count. He'll realize his worth and sooner or later that price'll go up. Once he makes enough he'll be gone."
"The others thought the same of you, Levi. Who or what he fights for now doesn't matter. When he truly realizes what he fights for is the real question." Erwin's words were as sharp as his wits. He spoke with authority but it was enough to silence the Captain. Levi withdrew from the conversation entirely and helped himself to his lukewarm tea.