PART THREE

The local inn - or more like a pub - was busy at this time of the day. Usually, Y/N would avoid such crowds, but given the circumstances, it was perfect.
Everyone was either too busy or drunk to care who was there. And those too busy had to deal with those that were drunk. It was a whole cacophony of laughs, shouts, and slurred singing. Y/N was just thankful the Scout uniform deterred anyone from approaching.
"Hey." Of course, it wouldn't deter other Scouts.
Y/N had to give a double-take to his fellow Scout. It was an older woman, someone who had a few years on him with short, blonde hair and brown roots. To say she looked familiar was an understatement.
"There aren't any other seats." She hummed. "You mind?"
"No." Sometimes Y/N cursed himself. He wanted to say no but avoided her reaction. She seemed like someone who would throw quite a fuss.
"Nanaba." She introduced herself.
Nanaba. The coward. Y/N recalled the member of Mike's squad from Lina's letter. To say whether Lina's words were true or not wasn't something Y/N could tell at first glance.
"Not much of a talker, hm?" She asked. "That's fine."
At least you understand.
"You ever come here?" She asked in a hushed tone.
"No."
"Hmm." Nanaba watched as a head of brown hair navigated the pub; practically speeding toward them. "It's the uniform. Don't let them get to you."
Don't let them get to me?
Y/N wasn't sure what she meant. Usually, the Wings of Freedom were enough of a reminder to pick your battles carefully, but that seemingly changed in Trost.
"Hello!" A young woman had to raise her voice through all the chaos. "Tell me, what'll you fancy?"
It was rare to hear a southern accent within the walls. Or it used to be. Y/N could understand why someone like her now worked here.
"An ale and today's stew." Nanaba said. Her words may have been laced with disinterest, but Y/N knew it to be power and authority.
"The meat pie and a mug of ale." Y/N rushed out. The young woman's eyes, although bright and an entrancing brown, only served to make him uncomfortable.
"Sure. Sit tight." Her energy hadn't missed a beat as she sauntered away.
"A meat pie." Nanaba sounded surprised. "You must get better pay than the rest of us."
"I get by." Y/N's reply was quiet as he dusted off the wooden table of unseen dirt.
"Two ales!" The waitress returned with their drinks.
The wooden rim and body sported small, dark marks of spilled ale. Not that Y/N minded. He certainly wasn't going to complain about the rushed service.
"Anything else come to mind?" She asked. She stood a little too close to Y/N, making him stifle a reaction.
"No, we're fine." Nanaba spoke a little too firmly, chasing away the young woman with a nervous grin.
"You alright?" Nanaba couldn't help but ask. Y/N only gave her a small glance in reply.
"It's the uniform, like I said." She sighed into her mug before sipping the fragrant alcohol. "Anything to get free housing and a stable life, I guess."
Y/N engrossed himself with his drink and stared out a nearby window, leaving just him and the faint moonlight touching the cobbled roads.
"Nanaba." Another voice joined the fold. This time Y/N didn't need to look to know it was Mike.
"Am I disturbing you two?" He asked out of politeness.
"No." Nanaba waved to the open chair. "We just ordered."
"Mm." Mike grunted and took a seat. "The others said they'll be here shortly."
"We've got the room."
Y/N wasn't sure how to feel about Mike and his squad. Lina's words were still fresh in his mind, painting them in a sour light. But the group was anything but bad company.
Gelgar, Henning, Thomas, and Lynne. Mike managed to keep them in place even when they were two mugs deep in their seats. And Gelgar, fueled by ale, tried sparking up small talk while begging for a slice of pie.
"Come on. It's a whole pie! L-lemme have a slice." The Scout leaned into Y/N's shoulder, undeterred by the arm keeping him at bay or the unpleasant glare pointed his way.
"Gelgar." Mike said his name a few decibels above his normal voice.
"Fine." Gelgar nearly sobered up from his leader's voice alone.
Lynne was a nice enough person to pull him away. And while he didn't show it in any way, Y/N appreciated it.
Henning and Thomas were quiet individuals. Their voices were never above a calm tone, a tone that reflected their relaxed demeanors and subtle expressions. They were like Lynne, never bothering to talk or prod at Y/N. Again, he appreciated it.
  I guess some people do get hints.
The small, circular table began to pile with empty mugs, plates, and dirtied utensils. For the number of times the poor waitress had to run back and forth, Y/N only managed to cross eyes with her once.
"You see the way she's looking at you?" Gelgar whispered.
"Gelgar." Lynne clicked her tongue and yanked him away, nearly tossing him off his seat altogether.
"You've had a little too much." Thomas sighed. "Time to call it a night."
Y/N figured it was about time he did as well. He felt a mild heat on his cheeks from the ale and the pie made the thought of his bed alluring.
"Heading back?" Mike asked when he stood.
"Yeah." Y/N only spared him a glance before he was out the door.
  It wasn't the quiet and reserved dinner as he had hoped, but it was still hot food and a refreshing drink, so in an obscure way it was a victory.