Chapter 02 - The Sorting Hat

Bravery, courage, and chivalry, three traits that Samson felt that he did a terrible job at representing. So then why did he become a Gryffindor?

Rewinding time, to the ride aboard the Hogwarts Express, Samson sat in a carriage, squashed against the doorway. "Do I have to sit next to both Samantha and Samwise?" pleaded Samson, staring across the carriage at Samuel and Rowan, "I'm squished! And against the door of all places!"

Samwise shot a glare, "Well sorry that I like the window seat so much!" Samantha groans, "You guys complain too much - it's way worse being seated between the two of you!" Samuel begins to explain, "Guys, just stop. Rowan needs a place to sit." Rowan speaks up, "Actually, I'm fine with moving if there's not enough spaces. This carriage is for four people after all..."

"Wait-" Samson interrupts, "Stay here, it's all good." Samantha and Samwise side-eye him, although Samuel and Rowan give him looks of appreciation. "Oh, if you insist. Thank you!" cries Rowan. Samson smile, "See, it's good to hear some manners once in a while. You don't get them often with siblings like mine." Samuel sits up, "Oh shush!" Rowan giggles, and Samson can't help but grin.

Although Samuel was older than Samson by a good three minutes, Samson looked at Samuel as a younger brother. No offence to him, but he was smaller, less athletic, and not as social, and Samson felt a need to look out for him. He just hoped that it didn't seem like he was looking down on Samuel, acting condescending and judgy.

The five of them discussed life at Hogwarts and their excitement throughout the ride, a ride that passed by much too quickly. Samson watched out the window by his brother, admiring the gorgeous Scottish scenery. He watched in amazement of the changing landscape, as if hypnotised by its beauty.

Eventually, the express came to a halt, leaving the on-board first years at a collection of boats. Across the water it was - the Castle of Hogwarts itself. Samson believe his eyes - it was majestic, it was grand, it was... Magic.

"What are these boats for?" questioned Samantha, "Are we not taking the carriages like the other students?" Rowan clears his throat and answers, "No, I'm afraid us first-year have to row across the water to the Castle. Although, I find it to have the opportunity to be exciting!" Samwise rolls his eyes, "Ugh, I don't feel like it." Samson elbows his chest, "Cheer up!"

Samwise stares at Samson, vexed. "He's just too lazy to do any of the rowin," joked Samuel. Samwise snapped back, "Hey, stop! It's only funny when it's not in my expense!" Everyone laughs, as they board their mode of transport.

The little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy which hid a wide opening in the cliff face. They were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking them right underneath the castle, until they reached a kind of under-ground harbour, where they all clambered out onto the rocks.

When they all entered the Castle corridor, time seemed to slow down for Samson. It was simply amazing... Too wonderful to put into words. And so, of course, his moment of admiration had to be interrupted. "Ugh," moaned Samwise, "Where do we go now? We're lost!"

But before anybody else could panic, a taller girl approached the group. "You're lost, I hear?" She had brown, slicked back hair and eyes of the same time, complimenting her dark skin. Samson looked at her robes: scarlet and gold with a Lion's crest - there was no doubt that she wasn't a Gryffindor.

"Oh, sorry," apologised the girl, addressing the looks of confusion, "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Angelica Cole, a fifth-year Gryffindor and the recently appointed Prefect."

Samson scratched his head. "Prefect? What's that? Isn't it like Head Boy and Head Girl? Class President? School Captain?" Angelica laughs, correcting him. "We Prefects are students who had been given extra authority and responsibilities by the Head of House and Headmaster," she explains, "They are certainly more valuable than a Class Leader, and I'm not quite sure what a School Captain is. However, Head Boy and Head Girl do exist here at Hogwarts, greater than the role of any Prefect. Understand?"