Chapter 04 - Dealing With Trouble

Perhaps adding Bulbadox powder to his sister's potion hadn't been Samwise's brightest idea. Incredibly ironic for somebody with 'wise' in he name, he believed.

Yes, it was him who had sabotaged Samantha's Cure for Boils potion, but could you blame him? He was just seeking attention... Not that he's desperate for it.

Okay, so that was a lie. He felt he had to always compete for the attention, the love, especially when his parents were such busy people dealing with five kids. At least his older brother was there for him, his best friend.

That was until the Jacob incident... That drove Samwise mad. If only he could find out what had happened...

But the point was, he had ruined his sister's day. Was it worth it? Kind of, because it was pretty funny. But still, he couldn't help but feel a sense of guilt.

And so there he was, laying down on the couch in the middle of the Slytherin Common Room. The area was a long, low underground room with rough stone walls and ceiling, from which round, greenish lamps were hanging on chains. A fire was crackling under an elaborately carved mantelpiece ahead of him, and several Slytherins were silhouetted around it in carved chairs.

Sound cool? Samwise didn't agree. The common room was a dungeon-like room with greenish lamps and chairs. This dungeon extended partway under the lake, giving the light in the room a green tinge. Basically, he felt like a prisoner.

The rest of the Common Room was empty, except for a light-toned boy with ambitious brown eyes and cunning middle-parted brown hair. He seemed about the age of a fifth-year. Samwise felt like he was meant to remember him, as if he held significance, but he had never payed much attention to introductions. The boy seemed to be waiting for somebody.

Suddenly, a figure appeared in the dark, with Samwise only making out pink eyes. It approached the boy and came into the light, revealing itself to be Merula Snyde.

"Well," said the boy, "I'm glad you received my Owl."

Merula rolled her eyes, "Get to the point, Rosier, what do you want?"

"Impatient, much?" Rosier stated, "I just wanted to congratulate you on attaining ten points for Slytherin from Professor Snape."

"Oh," Merula answered proudly, "Well thanks I guess."

Rosier nodded, "Smart idea with adding that Bulbadox powder by the way. That Hufflepuff never knew what hit her!"

"What?!" thought Samwise angrily, listening in on the conversation, "That was me! I deserve the credit!"

Unfortunately, Merula did not agree. "Powder...? Oh yes, I most definitely added that! Had to teach that witch a lesson!"

At that point Samwise couldn't hold it in, as he jumped up from the couch. "Stop lying! You know you didn't add the powder, I did!"

Rosier, slightly startled, faces Samwise, "Erm... Who are you exactly?"

Merula pouts, "Remember? Sullivan? Ugh, he's probably just trying to steal the credit. He's that Hufflepuff girl's brother, you know!"

Ignoring Merula, Rosier continued, studying Samwise. "Oh, Sullivan? I think I remember you now. Brother of Jacob, am I correct?"

Samwise agrees, as Rosier continued, "My name is Felix Rosier, Slytherin Prefect. I must say, I'm impressed with your work. If you're ruining potions on the first day, you might have a chance of becoming a great deal wizard like your brother!"

"Jacob? Dark wizard?" Samwise scowled, "You must be joking."

"Yeah!" interrupted Merula, "His brother was a joke! By the way, what happened to praising me?!"