Chapter 06 - A Curious Corridor

Samson genuinely felt that he could have done more to defend his friend.

Sure, he told Merula to stop, but compared to what Samwise did, it was nothing. Who knew that his brother was so brave and noble? He was more of a Gryffindor than Samson felt he'd ever be.

And it felt as though Snape could read his thoughts. "I don't care if you think you did enough good or otherwise, Sullivan," he snapped, "I just want the situation."

"Take it easy on the boy," pleaded Flitwick, "After all, he was just a bystander."

Just a bystander. Exactly. As if being interrogated in the Potions classroom by two Heads of Houses wasn't bad enough.

"It doesn't matter what he did." Snape argued, "I must fully understand the situation before ruling a verdict. Now if you excuse me I'm going back to my questioning."

Snape turned back to face Samson, an ugly frown on his face. "Talk."

"Well, I was in the courtyard with my friend Ben when suddenly Merula approached us and started tormenting him." Samson explained.

"He's telling the truth," Flitwick added.

"Quiet, Filius. Continue."

Samson went on, "Then my brothers Samuel and Samwise - you would know them, they're in your houses-"

"Get to the point."

"Right," Samson realised, "So they came with their friend Rowan and Samwise told Merula to quit it. She refused, and so they duelled."

"Ahh, I understand," revealed Snape, "So your brother challenged Snyde to a fight."

Flitwick spoke up, "I don't think that's what he meant-"

Snape glared at the half-dwarf. "Samwise and his group. Detention. They encouraged his behaviour."

"But what about Snyde?!" Samson asked.

"Snyde is irrelevant."

"Very well then." Flitwick gave in, "I suppose it's only right. I just can't believe they would turn on our word like that..."

"I can." Snape scowled, "They can't trusted. Personally I think they should all be expelled but I know that Dumbledore's too soft for that." The Potions professor looked up at Samson. "Now you. Go."

Samson nodded and scurried off quickly. What had he just done? Did he just get his brothers in trouble? So much for the 'noble' Samson, Sorting Hat. What would he do now? He didn't want to leave them alone in detention...

Samson rushed past the Herbology classroom... Wait - Herbology! He had gotten an idea.

He burst in, to see Professor Sprout potting plants. "Oh, why hello there. What do you need, dear?"

Samson strut straight up to Sprout and announced, "One detention please."

Sprout stared in silence before bursting into laughter. "Oh, darling, you're cracking me up! I can't just give you a detention like that! You've got to do somethi-"

CRASH!

Samson really had just pushed a pot onto the ground, cracking it. Then he truly regretted it.

"Fine, then." Sprout barked, "Detention!"

Sometimes Samson felt that he acted way too many times before he thought. He was too impulsive, too reckless... And now there he was, in detention.

He was sitting at a desk within a small, confined room. There were about seven children, counting himself. Then, their caretaker for the hour arrived - Argus Filch, Hogwart's caretaker.