Chapter 03 - Welcome to Hogwarts

Simply imagining her brother as a dark wizard terrified Samantha. And so when she heard the Sorting Hat announce Samwise to be a Slytherin, she was in disbelief. Especially since it took less than ten seconds for it to be decided...

"Winger, Talbott! RAVENCLAW!" grumbled the Sorting Hat, finishing off the list of First Years. Dumbledore returned to the podium, explained the House Competition, then announced that it was dinner time.

"Woah!" cried a Hufflepuff, "I just thought of food and it appeared!"

The others began chatting excitedly and digging in - magical food that appears when you think of it!

But Samantha didn't care. All she was thinking about was her brother. "This can't be real..." she muttered, digging her nails into the seat paired at the Hufflepuff table.

Unfortunately, the girl next to her overheard. She had blonde braided hair and a concerned expression. Penny Haywood, Samantha recalled.

"What was that?" Penny asked, a slight look of judgement in her face.

Should she tell her? I mean, it was small choice, although a risky one. On one hand, she could gain a friend and an ally. On the other, she could be seen as weird, outcast, and never be talked to ever again in her life. So yeah, a small choice.

"So? What is it? Friends? Studies? Homesickness?" Penny asked, clearly not meaning to be harmful. "It's alright if you're not comfortable in telling me, I just want to see if you're alright."

...

"Well, it's about my brother," answered Samantha, uncomfortably.

Penny laughed, "Wow, how very specific. No, but seriously, I've heard that you're a quadruplet, is that true?"

"Yeah, except all of my brothers are in every house but Hufflepuff." Samantha explained.

Penny comforted, "Oh, it'll be alright. After all, you're a Hufflepuff!"

...

"You okay?"

"Yeah," Samantha stated, "It's just... I can't... Have you ever heard of Jacob Sullivan?"

Penny nods, "Yeah, basically everyone has. What about him?"

"Well... He's my brother. And he was a Slytherin. And then he left." responded Samantha pensively.

"Oh..." Penny realises, "I never made the connection. I'm guessing you're worried about your brother following the same path?"

Samantha agrees, "Why wouldn't I be? After all, Slytherin is basically the evil house. All the dark wizards come from there, and there's never been a good Slytherin."

"Are you sure about that? I mean, most dark wizards may be Slytherin, but not every Slytherin is a dark wizard," Penny assured.

Samantha replies, "Well, agree to disagree I guess. If you ever find a friendly Slytherin then you've got to tell me. Though I doubt you'll find one."

"Okay, then," chuckled Penny, "Challenge accepted. You know, I really do like challenges."

"Really?" asked Samantha, sitting up in intrigue. She seated herself closer to Penny.

"Yeah," Penny answered, noticing Samantha warning up to her, "You know, my favourite subject is Potions, and judging by the Professor, it's most definitely going to be a challenge!"

The two laugh, and continue talking, developing a sweet friendship.

"Alright then! That concludes our opening ceremony!" exclaimed Dumbledore, "Please line up and get ready to go to your Common Rooms, led by the Head of your House!"