Chapter 11 - Died in the Line of Duty

Elias stared quietly at his left leg that need to wear cast almost for 7 weeks, contemplating his life. When he went to the hospital, the doctor's diagnosis showed that his Achilles tendon had ruptured from the accident when he fall from his black Ducati.

He had a small surgery to make sure that it will not torn again but it seems that he needs to take a leave for almost half a year. Right now, he was in a ward as he had finished the surgery.

Elias decided to mail his boss about his injuries, also to tell him that he will stay in Japan. He had already apply for Japan Permanent Residency and was eligible to receive it.

Well, the reason was of course to help FBI in Japan--but it seems that they did not have the permission from this country government. However, personally he thought of fighting side by side with Akai, even though he was very powerful. Sometimes, even Elias himself cannot catch up with Akai's thought.

Just like now.

[Agent Akai Shuichi has been confirmed died in the line of duty.]

The mail that he received was too sudden that he cannot processed it well.

What do you mean by that? Dead? Akai Shuichi is..?

Elias stared at his phone intently, feeling that he was most likely read it wrongly. But when he read the mail again and again, he knew that the news was real. The feeling of dread was engulfing the person making him blanked.

Elias subconsciously bring his hand to the chest. Something was squeezing his heart making him a little breathless.

"What the hell..."

A trembling voice came out from his mouth, seems to suppressing something.

"Aren't you very powerful? Then, why...?"

In the patient ward, it feels gloomy even though the curtain had been pulled. Only the voice echoed in that room, left unanswered.

..........................................

The spring season has already arrived. This means that almost 3 years has passed since Akiba Reiko's fiancé, Soma Hikaru, passed away.

In a few days, it will be the anniversary of his death. As usual, Akiba Reiko will go to the place where she and Hikaru went to date, which is the riverbank near Nishitama City.

The faint sound of a violin caught her attention. The song full of sadness and longing make Akiba Reiko wonders if the one who play it was grieving for something.

She saw the familiar person who was playing the violin and slowly walks to him, careful not to interrupt the song. Not long after, the young man stopped playing.

"What do you think about my new piece?" The young man asked.

"It's not bad. What was its name?" Akiba Reiko asked.

The young man looks thoughtful a moment before replying.

"I will call this piece, 'Silence Dream'."

A song which describes a dreamer who was silent in his own dream, represent his unexpressed feelings, full of uneasiness and expectancy while waiting for something unsure.

The young man lowered his eyes in self-deception.

What am I doing?

"It must be there were some stories in that song, isn't it, Elias-kun?"

Akiba Reiko replied while gazing towards the river. She implied something in her reply indistinctly.

Unfortunately, the young man, Elias left the question unanswered. He acted like he did not understand the implying question.