Chapter 12 - Notes of Terror I

The 'Toccata and Fugue in D Minor' played by the organist, Domoto Kazuki was reverberating in the hall. The few audience of the rehearsal clapped their hands in amazement after hearing the performance.

"Wow, just like you'd expect from Domoto Kazuki. That was magnificent indeed."

Mouri Kogoro, who came with others comment in awe. Ran noticed a person on the stage and called out.

"I've seen that person on TV before."

Sonoko hummed in confusion.

"There, the man with the glasses."

Sonoko exclaimed in realization.

"Ah. That's Fuwa Takumi-san. He has been Domoto-san's sole piano tuner for the last 35 years. He's now the director of Domoto Hall."

"The one who just turned around is a German, Hans Müller-san. He's a pipe organ tuner. He seems to be at ease now, but he's had frequent disputes with Domoto-san in the past."

"And, the one interpreting next to him is Domoto-san's son, a pianist, Genya-san. He's the organizer for the upcoming performance."

Then, Sonoko pointed to the other side of the stage.

"After that, we have those two ladies over there. Both of them are Domoto-san's students. The lady on the right is from Domoto Academy's 9th class, a soprano, Chigusa Rara-san."

"The nervous looking person next to her is from the same academy, from it's 8th class, a violinist, Yamane Shion-san."

Professor Agasa, hearing that, interjected.

"Oh, she substituting for the person who was injured in the bombing incident, Kawabe Soko-san, then?"

"That's right. Kawabe-san's Stradivarius just so happened to be away for adjustments at that time of the incident, so it wasn't damaged. Shion-san is just borrowing it for the performance."

"And, the person sitting in the first row is.."

"Akiba Reiko-san, right? The soprano." Ran exclaimed excitedly.

Sonoko didn't mind Ran interrupted her and just laughed lightly.

"I figured you would know her. She is pretty famous, after all."

"And lastly, the person beside her, the man who was wearing a sunglasses. Actually, I only know that person's name was Hirano Elias."

Ran turned her eyes to Sonoko, in surprise.

"You don't know him, Sonoko? I thought you knew everyone who'll come to the rehearsal."

Sonoko shrugged off.

"It can't be helped. Reiko-san told us that she will bring a guest. Also, Hirano-san didn't take off his glasses since he came, so I don't know how he looks like."

Ran nodded in realization and make some remarks.

"I wonder if he also a musician."

"Alright, Shion, get ready." Domoto Kazuki reminded Yamane Shion to be prepared for the rehearsal. "We will start from the first piece, Ave Maria."

Just by only hearing the first part of the song played by Yamane Shion, Akiba Reiko sighed.

"Judging from that, it seems you aren't ready to rehearse it with me yet, are you?"

"My apologies." Yamane Shion said lightly.

Domoto Kazuki started playing the organ and followed by the violin by Yamane Shion. The song was perfectly played, in the ears of an ordinary listener. But for Elias, who had already trained his perfect pitch since child, the song had flaws everywhere.