Chapter 5

The women in emerald green robes lead everyone through the two large doors and into the Great Hall, where there are four long tables with thousands of students, as well as floating candles. The roof appears to be the sky
He heard Hermione whisper, " It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History."
Professor McGonagall silently placeda four-legged stool in front of the first years. On top of the stool, she put apointed wizard's hat. This hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty.
For a few seconds, there was complete silence.Then the hat twitched. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth — andthe hat began to sing:
"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"
Everyone began applauding as the hat finished its song. It bowed toeach of the four tables and then became quite still again
Professor McGonagall now stepped forward holding a long roll ofparchment."When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to besorted," she said. "Abbott, Hannah!"
A pink-faced girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of line, put on the hat,which fell right down over her eyes, and sat down. A moment's pause —"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat.
The table on the right cheered and clapped as Hannah went to sit down at the Hufflepuff table. Harry saw the ghost of the Fat Friar waving merrily at her.
"Bones, Susan!"
"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat again, and Susan scuttled off to sit next to Hannah.
"Boot, Terry!"
"RAVENCLAW!"
The table second from the left clapped this time; several Ravenclaws stood up to shake hands with Terry as he joined them.
"Brocklehurst, Mandy" went to Ravenclaw too, but "Brown, Lavender" became the first new Gryffindor, and the table on the far left exploded with cheers.
The rest became a blur. He saw Malfoy's bodyguards Vincent Crabbe and Gregor Goyle sort into Slytherin and Hermione Granger sorted to Gryffindor.
"Jackson, Perseus!"
Giving himself a grin, he muttered to Harry. "I'm so gonna go to Gryffindor."
He made his way and sat on the stool. bUt the hat barely touched his head when it screamed, "GRYFFINDOR!"
Still grinning, he swaggered and winked at a couple of first-years who giggled and sat next to Hermione looking pleased with himself.
There weren't many people left now. He saw Neville Longbottom being sorted into Gryffindor and Malfoy unsurprisingly be sorted to Slytherin.
"Potter, Harry!"
Harry shakingly walked up to the stool and sat down.
It was probably one of the longest sortings ever. By five minutes, everyone was starting to get restless, Dumbledore was leaning forward and at the seventh minute, the rip above the brim opened and yelled " GRYFFINDOR."
Everyone shouted as if they won the Quidditch world cup. People stood up as Harry walked shakily toward the Gryffindor table Both Percy's shook his handvigorously, while the Weasley twins yelled, "We got Potter! We got Potter!"
And now there were only four people left to be sorted. Dean Thomas and Ron Weasley were sorted to Griffyndor, Lisa Turpin became a Ravenclaw and Blaise Zabinia became a Slytherin
Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet. He was beaming at the students,his arms opened wide as if nothing could have pleased him more than to seethem all there.
"Welcome!" he said. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before webegin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are:Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
"Thank you!"
"Is he — a bit mad?" he asked Percy uncertainly.
"Mad?" said Percy airily. "He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But heis a bit mad, yeah. Oh chicken wings." and he grabbed the nearest wing.
After everyone had eaten to their content,
Professor Dumbledore got to hisfeet again. The hall fell silent.
"Ahem — just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. Ihave a few start-of-term notices to give you.
"First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to allpupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that aswell."
Dumbledore's twinkling eyes flashed in the direction of the Weasley twins.
"I have also been asked by Mr Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all thatno magic should be used between classes in the corridors.
"Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyoneinterested in playing for their House teams should contact Madam Hooch.
"And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death."
"And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" criedDumbledore. Harry noticed that the other teachers' smiles had become ratherfixed.
After the song, the Prefects lead the Gryffindor first years followed Percy through the chattering crowds,out of the Great Hall, and up the marble staircase yawning and dragging their feet.
At the very end of the corridor hung a portrait of a fat lady in apink silk dress.
"Password?" she said.
Caput Draconis.
The Fat Lady smiles and nods in confirmation. The painting opens up to reveal a doorway. They all scrambled through it and found themselves in the Gryffindor common room, a cosy, roundroom full of squashy armchairs.
"Follow me, everyone. Keep up, quickly, come on."
"Welcome to the Gryffindor Common Room. Boy's dormitories, upstairs and down to your left. Girls, the same on your right. You'll find that your belongings have already been brought up."
Percy directed the girls through one door to their dormitory and the boysthrough another. At the top of a spiral staircase, they found their beds at last: five four-posters hung withdeep red, velvet curtains. Their trunks had already been brought up. Too tiredto talk much, they pulled on their pyjamas and fell into bed.