Chapter 6

The classes, as Percy expected were much more fun than he thought they would be. They had to study the night skies through their telescopes everyWednesday at midnight and learn the names of different stars and themovements of the planets. Three times a week they went out to thegreenhouses behind the castle to study Herbology, with a dumpy little witchcalled Professor Sprout, where they learned how to take care of all the strangeplants and fungi, and found out what they were used for.
The most boring class History of Magic was basically a naptime for them, now he knows why his mum got a 'D' in History of Magic.
Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, was a tiny little wizard who had tostand on a pile of books to see over his desk. And he doesn't give homework but tells them to practice spells.
Although McGonagall, head of Gryffindor wasn't a teacher to cross and like Dumbledore full of surprises
Harry and Ron are running in the corridors because they are late for Transfiguration class. In the class, a tabby cat is sitting on a desk. Harry and Ron rush in; Hermione rolls her eyes in annoyance while Percy sniggered knowing what was going to happen.
"Whew, we made it. Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?"
The cat jumps off the desk and to their amazement transforms into Professor McGonagall.
"That was bloody brilliant," said Ron
"Thank you for that assessment, Mr Weasley. Perhaps if I were to transfigure Mr Potter and yourself into a pocket watch, that way one of you might be on time."
" We got lost," said Harry
"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats."
They took their seats. After everyone wrote the notes, they were each given a match and started trying to turn it into a needle. By the end of the lesson, only Hermione Granger and Percy Jackson had made any difference to their matches; Professor McGonagall showed the class how it had gone all silver and pointy and gave both students a rare smile
The class everyone had really been looking forward to was Defense Against the Dark Arts, but Quirrell's lessons turned out to be a bit of a joke. His classroom smelled strongly of garlic ("a vampire isn't going to pop out of nowhere!" Percy exclaimed) His turban, he told them, had been given to him by an African prince as a thank-you for getting rid of a troublesome zombie, ("Yeah right!")
"What have we got today?" Harry asked Ron as he poured sugar on his porridge.
"Double Potions with the Slytherins," said Ron. "Snape's Head of Slytherin House. They say he always favours them — we'll be able to see if it's true."
"Wish McGonagall favoured us," said Percy joining in. "Look how much homework we got."
Just then, the mail arrived. Percy's family owl. An eagle owl by the name of Mercury came down and handed him a letter and a small package. Percy scribbled that he had gotten used to the classes and saying thanks to the blue candy.
"Thanks, Mercury," said Percy handing the owl a biscuit and flew off
Later on, it was potions, inside Snape's potions classroom, everyone was chattering, sitting near their cauldrons. The door slams open and Snape comes rushing in.
"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few..." he looks at the Slytherins "who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper... in death."
Snape turns towards Harry, writing what Snape said in his lecture down. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention."
Percy nudges Harry, finally making him look up to the Professor. Snape then walks to where he can speak to Harry more properly.
"Mr Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"
"I don't know, sir," said Harry.
Snape's lips curled into a sneer.
"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?
"Oh, that's child play." Percy thought raising his hand. But Snape ignored both of theirs
"Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"
Hermione stretched her hand as high into the air as it would go without her leaving her seat, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, who were shaking with laughter.
"I don't know, sir."
"Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter?"
Snape was still ignoring Hermione's quivering hand.
"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"
At this, Hermione stood up, her hand stretching toward the dungeon ceiling.
"Clearly, Hermione knows. Since it's a pity not to ask her."
A few people laughed, and Hermione looked surprised. Snape, however, was not pleased.
"Silence!" he turns to Harry, looking a bit insulted; Harry seemingly gulps. Snape then walks over to his desk. To Hermione, who has still got her hand up. "And put your hand down, you silly girl. For your information, Potter... asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful, it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying this down?
Everyone started to write down what Snape said. Snape returns to his desk and dips his quill into some ink.
"And Gryffindors, note that a point will be taken from your house... for your classmate's cheek."
Things didn't improve for the Gryffindors as the Potions lesson continued.Snape put them all into pairs and set them to mixing up a simple potion to cure boils. He swept around in his long black cloak, watching them weigh dried nettles and crush snake fangs, criticizing almost everyone except Malfoy, whom he seemed to like and strangely enough Percy. Probably because he and his mum were friends. She told him stories about how she, Snape and someone called Lily Evans would have fun together.
Then clouds of acid green smoke and a loud hissing filled the dungeon. Neville had somehow managed to melt Seamus's cauldron into a twisted blob, and their potion was seeping across the stone floor, burning holes in people's shoes. Within seconds, the whole class was standing on their stools while Neville, who had been drenched in the potion when the cauldron collapsed, moaned in pain as angry red boils sprang up all over his arms and legs.
"Idiot boy!" snarled Snape, clearing the spilt potion away with one wave of his wand. "I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?"
Neville whimpered as boils started to pop up all over his nose.
"Take him up to the hospital wing," Snape spat at Seamus. Then he rounded on Harry and Ron, who had been working next to Neville.
"You — Potter — why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thoughhe'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another pointyou've lost for Gryffindor."
Hermione who was working with Percy opened her mouth but Percy nudged her.
"Don't," he muttered. "Snape can turn nasty sometimes."
"You met him," Hermione whispered.
"A couple of times," he replied. "He and my mum were friends."
They left the class with a furious Gryffindor.
"Cheer up," said Percy, "Snape's always taking points off me."
In the great hall, around midday. The students are all doing their homework. Seamus is trying a spell on a cup which resulted in the cup exploding and Seamus is left charred.
Then mail comes, Percy got another letter from his mum and a batch of dozen blue chocolate chip cookies, he ate his fourth one when Seamus exclaimed.
"Hey, look! Neville's got a Remembrall!"
"I've read about those. When the smoke turns red, it means you've forgotten something." Hermione said, just then the smoke turns red.
"The only problem is, I can't remember what I've forgotten."
"Want one," said Percy to Harry passing a cookie.
"No thanks. Hey, Perce, somebody broke into Gringotts, listen Believed to be the work of dark witches or wizards unknown, Gringotts goblins, while acknowledging the breach, insist that nothing was taken. The vault in question, number 713, had in fact been emptied earlier that same day. That's odd. That's the vault Hagrid and I went to.