Chapter 9

Christmas was coming. Hogwarts was covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins bewitched several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban. The owls that managed to battle their way through the stormy sky to deliver mail had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again.
So one weekend, before they left to their families, Hermione and Percy made a last-minute visit to Harry and Ron, who were playing wizards chess.
"Knight to E5," Harry orders
The Knight moves to its destination.
Ron said with a smug face "Queen to E5."
Hermione looked shocked "That's totally barbaric!
" That's wizard's chess." Looks over to Hermione and Percy. "I see you two packed.
"See you haven't."
"Change of plans, my parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother Charlie. He's studying dragons there."
"Good, you can help Harry, then. He's going to go and look in the library for information on Nicholas Flamel."
"We've looked a hundred times," Ron complained.
Percy grins and Leans over on the table closer to Ron and Harry "Not in the restricted section. Merry Christmas."
Percy and Hermione leave Ron and Harry.
Ron Looks at Harry "I think we've had a bad influence on her."
"Nah, that's definitely Percy."

"Will you ask your parents." Percy asked Hermione as they searched for an empty compartment. "Flamel could be known in muggle society."
"I'll try, but they're dentists and Flamel doesn't sound like one." Hermione replied.
"What are dentists?" Percy asked curiously.
"Never mind." said Hermione quickly. "But Percy you really should take muggle studies in your third year."
Time skip until the end of holidays
Sally was just saying goodbye to Percy when she noticed Hermione and her parents.
"Percy is that Hermione?" Sally asked pointing to his right. "And are those her parents?"
Percy turned around and saw Hermione with her parents looking rather nervous.
"Hermione!" Percy shouted grabbing her attention.
She turned around. "Percy! How's the holidays and is that your mum?"
"Yeah." Percy said as his mum came. "Mum this is Hermione Granger."
"Hermione." Sally said with a smile. "My son talked a lot about you."
Percy flushed. "And these are her parents who are... muggles."
Immediately, Sally turned her focus to Hermione's parents. "Muggles you say, well hello." and they went on a conversation where Percy's mum asked so many questions and was even fascinated by credit cards, electricity and fellytones (Its telephones Mrs Jackson)
But Percy as saved when the Hogwarts express started to leave and both of them immediately boarded the Hogwarts express.
"Your mum's nice." said Hermione when they found a compartment.
"Yeah she's the best." Percy said grinning.
"Umm Percy." Hermione asked feeling uncomfortable. "What happened to your dad?"
Immediaetly Pery's demenaor shifted and he looked like as if someone kicked his pet Gryphon Atlan.
"Honestly, I don't know." Percy said smiling although this now was strained. "Mum told me that he was not dead but 'lost at sea' I know that she loved him a lot. But I doubt whether he loved her back." Percy said bitterly.
"Oh. . . " said Hermione flushing. "Percy, I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"
"Its fine." Percy said. "Now did you find anything on Nicholas Flamel?"
Hermione shook her head. "He's not mentioned in muggles nor in Hogwarts a history what 'bout you?."
Percy shook his head. "Asked mum and she hasn't got a clue."
Then the trolley lady came and asked. "Anything off the trolley dears?"
"bertie botts every flavour beans please."
He bought one and popped the blue one in his mouth. "Hmm... blueberry, not bad."
When they came back, Percy and Hermone found out that Harry was sneaking out of bed, roaming the school three nights in a row. Hermione was torn between horror ("If Filch had caught you!"),and disappointment that he hadn't at least found out who Nicolas Flamel was.
Once termhad started, they were back to skimming through books for ten minutesduring their breaks. Harry had even less time than the other three, becauseQuidditch practice had started again.
Then after quidditch practice, Harry told them something. Snape's referring the match.
"Don't play," said Hermione at once.
"Say you're ill," said Ron.
"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.
"Really break your leg," said Ron.
"Or." said Percy now laughing at his two friends. "Harry should play fair, so he can't give you fouls."
Ron and Hermione flushed. "Yeah that would work."
At that moment Neville toppled into the common room. How he hadmanaged to climb through the portrait hole was anyone's guess, because hislegs had been stuck together with what they recognized at once as the LegLocker Curse. He must have had to bunny hop all the way up to GryffindorTower.
Everyone fell over laughing except Hermione, who leapt up and performedthe countercurse
"What happened?" Hermione asked him, leading him over to sit withHarry and Ron.
"Malfoy," said Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'dbeen looking for someone to practice that on."
"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione urged Neville. "Report him!"
Neville shook his head.
"I don't want more trouble," he mumbled.
"You've got to stand up to him, Neville!" said Ron.
"Yeah, he's used to walkingall over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make iteasier."
"There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor,Malfoy's already done that," Neville choked out.
Harry felt in the pocket of his robes and pulled out a Chocolate Frog, he gave it to Neville, who looked as though he might cry.
"You're worth twelve of Malfoy," Harry said. "The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn't it? And where's Malfoy? In stinking Slytherin."
Neville's lips twitched in a weak smile as he unwrapped the frog.
"Thanks, Harry . . . I think I'll go to bed. . . . D'you want the card, you collect them, don't you?"
As Neville walked away, Harry looked at the Famous Wizard card.
"Dumbledore again," he said, "He was the first one I ever —"
He gasped. He stared at the back of the card. Then he looked up at Ron, Percy and Hermione.
"I've found him!" he whispered. "I've found Flamel! I told you I'd read the name somewhere before, I read it on the train coming here — listen tothis: 'Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the Dark wizardGrindelwald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood,and his work on alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel'!"
Hermione jumped to her feet
"Stay there!" she said, and she sprinted up the stairs to the girls'dormitories. The boys barely had time to exchange mystified looksbefore she was dashing back, an enormous old book in her arm.
"I never thought to look in here!" she whispered excitedly. "I had you looking in the wrong section! How could I be so stupid? I checked this out a few weeks ago for a bit of light reading."
"This is light?" Percy asked incredulously.
Hermione ignored him
"Of course! Here it is! "Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone!"
"The what?" said Harry, Percy and Ron.
"Oh, honestly, don't you three read? Look — read that, there."She pushed the book toward them, it took Percy some time but he managed to get it:
The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Sorcerer's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The Stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal. There have been many reports of the Sorcerer's Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera lover. Mr. Flamel,who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight).
"So the dog must beguarding Flamel's Sorcerer's Stone?" Percy suggested
"Exactly!" Hermione exclaimed. "I bet he asked Dumbledore to keep itsafe for him, because they're friends and he knew someone was after it, that'swhy he wanted the Stone moved out of Gringotts!"
"A stone that makes gold and stops you from ever dying!" said Harry. "Nowonder Snape's after it! Anyone would want it."
"And no wonder we couldn't find Flamel in that Study of RecentDevelopments in Wizardry," said Ron. "He's not exactly recent if he's sixhundred and sixty-five, is he?"
"Not even close." said Percy.
The next morning in Defense Against the Dark Arts, while copying downdifferent ways of treating werewolf bites, and Harry told them something.
"I'm going to play," he told Percy and Ron and Hermione. "If I don't, all theSlytherins will think I'm just too scared to face Snape. I'll show them . . . it'llreally wipe the smiles off their faces if we win."
"Just as long as we're not wiping you off the field," said Hermione
The day of the match was arriving closer. Percy could see that Harry was relieved when Dumbledore would also be watching the match. Ron, Percy and Hermione have been teaching some good curses that even though Snape is qualified wizard, they might make a good fight.
The three took seats next to Neville. Percy borrowed a pair of binoculars from Hagrid so they could see what's going one.
"I've never seen Snape look so mean," he told Hermione. "Look — they'reoff. Ouch!"
Someone had poked Percy in the back of the head. It was Malfoy."Oh, sorry, Jackson, didn't see you there."
Malfoy grinned broadly at Crabbe and Goyle.
"Wonder how long Potter's going to stay on his broom this time? Anyone want a bet? What about you, Weasley?"
Ron didn't answer; Snape had just awarded Hufflepuff a penalty because George Weasley had hit a Bludger at him. Hermione and Percy were squinting fixedly at Harry, who was circling the gamelike a hawk, looking for the Snitch.
"You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?" said Malfoy loudly a few minutes later, as Snape awarded Hufflepuff another penalty for no reason at all. "It's people they feel sorry for. See, there's Potter, who's got no parents, then there's the Weasleys, who've got no money — you should be on the team, Longbottom, you've got no brains. How about you Jackson, didn't your father ditch your mum?"
Hermione knew Malfoy hit a sensitive spot but Percy didn't do anything although she noticed that the grip on his binoculars tightened a fraction
Neville, however, went bright red but turned in his seat to face Malfoy.
"I'm worth twelve of you, Malfoy," he stammered.
Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle howled with laughter, but Ron, still not daringto take his eyes from the game, said, "You tell him, Neville."
"Longbottom, if brains were gold you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that'ssaying something."
Ron's nerves were already stretched to the breaking point with anxietyabout Harry.
"I'm warning you, Malfoy — one more word —"
"Ron!" said Hermione suddenly, "Harry — !"
"What? Where?"
"Found him," said Percy pointing to Harry, who had suddenly gone into a spectacular dive, which drew gasps andcheers from the crowd. Hermione stood up, her crossed fingers in her mouth,as Harry streaked toward the ground like a bullet.
"You're in luck, Weasley, Potter's obviously spotted some money on theground!" said Malfoy.
Ron snapped. Before Malfoy knew what was happening, Ron was on topof him, wrestling him to the ground. Neville hesitated, then clambered overthe back of his seat to help.
Percy was torn between helping Ron and Neville or watch cheering for Harry. He chose to cheer.
"Come on Harry!" Percy yelled.
Up in the air, Snape turned on his broomstick just in time to see somethingscarlet shoot past him, missing him by inches — the next second, Harry hadpulled out of the dive, his arm raised in triumph, the Snitch clasped in hishand.
"That's a record!" Percy yelled. "He broke the record!"
"Ron! Ron! Where are you? The game's over! Harry's won! We've won!Gryffindor is in the lead!" shrieked Hermione, dancing up and down on herseat and hugging Percy
"Harry, where have you been?" Hermione squeaked.
"We won! You won! We won!" shouted Ron, thumping Harry on the back."And I gave Malfoy a black eye, and Neville tried to take on Crabbe andGoyle single-handed! He's still out cold but Madam Pomfrey says he'll be allright — talk about showing Slytherin! Everyone's waiting for you in thecommon room, we're having a party, Fred and George stole some cakes andstuff from the kitchens."
"Never mind that now," said Harry breathlessly. "Let's find an emptyroom, you wait 'til you hear this. . . ."
Making sure Peeves wasn't behind them, they shut the door behind them,then Harry told them what he'd seen and heard
"So we were right, it is the Sorcerer's Stone, and Snape's trying to forceQuirrell to help him get it. He asked if he knew how to get past Fluffy — andhe said something about Quirrell's 'hocus-pocus'— I reckon there are otherthings guarding the stone apart from Fluffy, loads of enchantments, probably,and Quirrell would have done some anti-Dark Arts spell that Snape needs tobreakthrough —"
"So you mean the Stone's only safe as long as Quirrell stands up toSnape?" said Hermione in alarm.
"It'll be gone by next Tuesday," said Ron