Chapter 11

When Percy and Ron were finally discharged, they saw that the giant hourglasses that recorded the Housepoints the next day was a hundred and fifty points fewer than yesterday. How could they suddenlyhave a hundred and fifty points fewer than yesterday? And then the storystarted to spread, apparently, Harry, Hermione and Neville (Apparently he was trying to warn them) were caught and lost fifty points each.
From being one of the most popular and admired people at the school,Harry was suddenly the most hated. Even Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs turnedon him because everyone had been longing to see Slytherin lose the HouseCup. Everywhere Harry went, people, pointed and didn't trouble to lowertheir voices as they insulted him. Slytherins, on the other hand, clapped as hewalked past them, whistling and cheering, "Thanks Potter, we owe you one!"
Only Ron and Percy stood by them.
"They'll all forget this in a few weeks. Fred and George have lost loads ofpoints in all the time they've been here, and people still like them."
"They've never lost a hundred and fifty points in one go, though, havethey?" said Harry miserably.
"Well — no," Ron admitted.
Hermione and Neville were suffering, too. They didn't have as bad a timeas Harry, because they weren't as well-known, but nobody would speak tothem, either. Hermione had stopped drawing attention to herself in class,keeping her head down and working in silence and from what he heard from the girls had been crying in the bathroom.
The day before Harry, Hermione, Neville and Malfoy were meant to serve their detention. Harry dropped the bombshell
"Snape's done it, then!" said Ron. "If Quirrell's told him how to break hisAnti-Dark Force spell —"
"There's still Fluffy, though," said Hermione.
"Maybe Snape's found out how to get past him without asking Hagrid," said Ron, looking up at the thousands of books surrounding them. "I betthere's a book somewhere in here telling you how to get past a giant three-headed dog. So what do we do, Harry?"
"Go to Dumbledore. That's what we should have done ages ago. If we tryanything ourselves we'll be thrown out for sure."
"But we've got no proof!" said Harry. "Quirrell's too scared to back us up.Snape's only got to say he doesn't know how the troll got in at Halloweenand that he was nowhere near the third floor — who do you think they'llbelieve him or us? It's not exactly a secret we hate him, Dumbledore'll thinkwe made it up to get him sacked. Filch wouldn't help us if his life dependedon it, he's too friendly with Snape, and the more students get thrown out, thebetter, he'll think. And don't forget, we're not supposed to know about theStone or Fluffy. That'll take a lot of explaining."
Hermione looked convinced, but Ron didn't."If we just do a bit of poking around —"
"For once I agree with this," Percy said standing up. "No more poking around. We already lost a hundred and fifty points and I'm planning on not losing another hundred." He slammed his book and walked to the common room.
Percy was roughly shaken by Hermione. How she got in, he didn't want to know because he went wide-eyed as Hermione told him what had happened in the forest. They went downstairs to see Harry pacing up and down with Ron staring at him.
"Snape wants the Stone for Voldemort . . . and Voldemort's waiting in the forest . . . and all this time we thought Snape just wanted to get rich. . . ."
"Stop saying the name!" said Ron in a terrified whisper.
But Harry wasn't listening."Firenze saved me, but he shouldn't have done so. . . . Bane was furious . . . he was talking about interfering with what the planets say is going to happen. . . . They must show that Voldemort's coming back. . . . Bane thinks Firenze should have let Voldemort kill me. . . . I suppose that's writtenin the stars as well."
"Will you stop saying the name!" Ron hissed.
"So all I've got to wait for now is Snape to steal the Stone," Harry went on feverishly, "then Voldemort will be able to come and finish me off. . . . Well, I suppose Bane'll be happy.
"Harry, everyone says Dumbledore's the only one You-Know-Who wasever afraid of. With Dumbledore around, You-Know-Who won't touch you. Anyway, who says the centaurs are right? It sounds like fortune-telling to me, and Professor McGonagall says that's a very imprecise branch of magic."
Harry thought for a while then went to bed. The rest soon followed.
Even though they were all worried about Voldemort and Snape getting their hands on the stone. They kept studying for their exams.
It was sweltering hot, especially in the large classroom where they did their written papers. They had been given special, new quills for the exams, whichhad been bewitched with an Anti-Cheating spell.
They had practical exams as well. Professor Flitwick called them one byone into his class to see if they could make a pineapple tap-dance across adesk. Professor McGonagall watched them turn a mouse into a snuffbox —points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was but taken away if it hadwhiskers. Snape made them all nervous, breathing down their necks whilethey tried to remember how to make a Forgetfulness potion
Their very last exam was History of Magic. One hour of answeringquestions about batty old wizards who'd invented self-stirring cauldrons andthey'd be free, free for a whole wonderful week until their exam results cameout. When the ghost of Professor Binns told them to put down their quills androll up their parchment, Percy couldn't help cheering with the rest.
"That was far easier than I thought it would be," said Hermione as theyjoined the crowds flocking out onto the sunny grounds. "I needn't havelearned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfricthe Eager."
"At least no more studying," Ron sighed happily, stretching out on the grass. "We got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet."
Harry was rubbing his forehead." I wish I knew what this means!" he burst out angrily. "My scar keeps hurting — it's happened before, but never as often like this."
"Go to Madam Pomfrey," Hermione suggested.
"I'm not ill," said Harry. "I think it's a warning . . . it means dangers coming. . . ."
Percy's eyes widened. "Harry? How did Hagrid get the egg?"
Their eyes widened. Percy's skin turned paler. They sprinted across the grounds toward the forest didn't answer. Hagrid was sitting in an armchair outside his house; his trousers and sleeves were rolled up, and he was shelling peas into a large bowl.
"Hullo," he said, smiling. "Finished yer exams? Got time fer a drink?"
"Yes, please," said Ron, but Harry cut him off.
"No, we're in a hurry. Hagrid, I've got to ask you something. You know that night you won Norbert? What did the stranger you were playing cards with look like?"
"Dunno," said Hagrid casually, "he wouldn't take his cloak off."
"You said you traded something with him. What did you trade him." Percy asked nervously.
"I told him, Fluffy's a piece o' cake if yeh know how to calm him down, just play him a bit o' music an' he'll go straight off ter sleep —"
Hagrid suddenly looked horrified." I shouldn't told yeh that!" he blurted out. "Forget I said it! Hey —where're yeh goin'?
The four ran to the entrance hall.
"We've got to go to Dumbledore," said Harry. "Hagrid told that strange how to get past Fluffy, and it was either Snape or Voldemort under that cloak. It must've been easy, once he'd got Hagrid drunk. I just hope Dumbledorebelieves us. Let's go."
They looked around as if hoping to see a sign pointing them in the right direction. "What are you four doing inside?"
It was Professor McGonagall, carrying a large pile of books.
"We want to see Professor Dumbledore," said Hermione, rather bravely.
"See Professor Dumbledore?" Professor McGonagall repeated. "Why?"
"It's sort of secret," Harry said but Professor McGonagall's nostrils flared.
"Professor Dumbledore left ten minutes ago," she said coldly. "He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and flew off for London at once."
"He's gone?" said Harry frantically. "Now?"
"Professor Dumbledore is a very great wizard, Potter, he has many demands on his time —"
"But this is important."
"Something you have to say is more important than the Ministry of Magic, Potter?"
"Gee I don't know," Percy said sarcastically. "Maybe the Sorcerer's Stone. "
She wasn't expecting that because the books she was carrying tumbled out of her arms, but she didn't pick them up.
"How do you know — ?" she spluttered.
"Professor, I think — I know — that Sn — that someone's going to try and steal the Stone. I've got to talk to Professor Dumbledore."
She eyed him with a mixture of shock and suspicion.
"Professor Dumbledore will be back tomorrow," she said finally. "I don know how you three found out about the Stone, but rest assured, no one can steal it, it's too well protected."
"But..."
"Mister Jackson, I can assure you nobody can get past it." She bent down and gathered up the fallen books. "I suggest you all go back outside and enjoy the sunshine."
But they didn't.
"It's tonight," said Harry, once he was sure Professor McGonagall was out of earshot. "Snape's going through the trapdoor tonight. He's found out everything he needs, and now he's got Dumbledore out of the way. He sent that note, I bet the Ministry of Magic will get a real shock when Dumbledoreturns up."
"But what can we —" Hermione gasped.
"Good afternoon," Snape who came out of nowhere said smoothly.
They stared at him."You shouldn't be inside on a day like this," he said, with an odd, twisted smile.
"We were —" Harry began,
"You want to be more careful," said Snape. "Hanging around like this, people will think you're up to something. And Gryffindor really can't afford to lose any more points, can it?"
Harry and Hermione flushed. They turned to go outside, but Snape called them back.
"Be warned, Potter — any more nighttime wanderings and I will personally make sure you are expelled. Good day to you."
He strode off in the direction of the staffroom.
Out on the stone steps, Harry turned to the others.
"Right, here's what we've got to do," he whispered urgently. "One of us has got to keep an eye on Snape — wait outside the staffroom and follow him if he leaves it. Hermione, you'd better do that."
"Why me?"
"It's obvious," said Ron. "You can pretend to be waiting for ProfessorFlitwick, you know." He put on a high voice, "'Oh Professor Flitwick, I'm so worried, I think I got question fourteen b wrong. Percy can come with you."
"Oh, shut up," said Hermione, but she and Percy agreed to go and watch out fortunate.
"And we'd better stay outside the third-floor corridor," Harry told Ron.
"Come on."But that part of the plan didn't work. No sooner had they reached the door, Professor McGonagallturned up again and this time, she lost her temper.
"I suppose you think you're harder to get past than a pack of enchantments!" she stormed. "Enough of this nonsense! If I hear you've come anywhere near here again, I'll take another fifty points from Gryffindor! Yes, Weasley, from my own House!"
Harry and Ron went back to the common room. Harry had just said, "Atleast Hermione and Percy's on Snape's tail," when the portrait of the Fat Lady swung open they came in.
"I'm sorry, Harry!" she wailed. Harry looked confused.
"Snape came out and asked us what we were doing, so Hermione said that we're waiting for Flitwick, and Snape went to get him.
"Well, that's it then, isn't it?" Harry said. The other three stared at him. He was pale and his eyes were glittering.
"I'm going out of here tonight and I'm going to try and get to the Stonefirst."
"You're mad!" said Ron.
"You can't!" said Hermione. "After what McGonagall and Snape havesaid? You'll be expelled!"
"SO WHAT?" Harry shouted. "Don't you understand? If Snape gets hold of the Stone, Voldemort's coming back! Haven't you heard what it was like when he was trying to take over? There won't be any Hogwarts to get expelled from! He'll flatten it, or turn it into a school for the Dark Arts! Losing points doesn't matter anymore, can't you see? D'you think he'll leave you and your families alone if Gryffindor wins the House Cup? If I get caught before I can get to the Stone, well, I'll have to go back to the Dursleys and wait for Voldemort to find me there, it's only dying a bit later than I would have because I'm never going over to the Dark Side! I'm going through that trapdoor tonight and nothing you two say is going to stop me! Voldemort killed my parents, remember?"
He glared at them.
"You're right, Harry," said Hermione in a small voice.
"I'll use the Invisibility Cloak," said Harry. "It's just lucky I got it back."
"But will it cover all four of us?" said Ron.
"All — all four of us?"
"Oh, come off it, you don't think we'd let you go alone?" Percy said mockingly raising an eyebrow.
"Of course not," said Hermione briskly.
"How do you think you'd get to the Stone without us? I'd better go and look through my books, there might be something useful. . . ."
"But if we get caught, you two will be expelled, too."
"Not if I can help it," said Hermione grimly. "Flitwick told me in secret that I got a hundred and twelve per cent on his exam. They're not throwing me out after that."
After dinner the four of them sat nervously apart in the common room. Nobody bothered them; none of the Gryffindors had anything to say to Harry any more. Hermione was skimming through all her notes, hoping to come across one of the enchantments they were about to try to break. Harry and Ron didn't talk much. Both of them were thinking about what they were about to do and Percy was practising some useful spells.
Slowly, the room emptied as people drifted off to bed.
"Better get the Cloak," Ron muttered.
Harry ran upstairs to their dark dormitory. He pulled out theCloak and then his eyes fell on the flute Hagrid had given him for Christmas.He pocketed it to use on Fluffy
"What are you doing?" said a voice from the corner of the room. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor the toad,
"Nothing, Neville, nothing," said Harry, hurriedly putting the Cloak behind his back. Neville stared at their guilty faces.
"You're going out again," he said.
"No, no, no," said Hermione. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?"
"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."
"We're already on the bottom Neville," Percy growled. "There's no point in losing anymore."
But Neville was clearly steeling himself to do something desperate.
"I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll — I'll fight you!"
"Neville," Ron exploded, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot—"
"Don't you call me an idiot!" said Neville. "I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!"
"Yes, but not to us," said Ron in exasperation. "Neville, you don't know what you're doing."
He took a step forward and Neville dropped Trevor the toad, who leapt out of sight.
"Go on then, try and hit me!" said Neville, raising his fists. "I'm ready!"
Percy strode forward ready to knock him out but Hermione raised her wand.
"Petrificus Totalus!" she cried, pointing it at Neville.
Neville's arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his face, stiff as aboard. Hermione ran to turn him over. Neville's jaws were jammed together so he couldn't speak. Only his eyes were moving, looking at them in horror.
"What've you done to him?" Harry whispered.
"It's the full Body-Bind," said Hermione miserably. "Oh, Neville, I'm so sorry."
"We had to, Neville, no time to explain," said Harry.
"You'll understand later, Neville," said Ron as they stepped over him and pulled on the Invisibility Cloak.
At the foot of the first set of stairs, they spotted Mrs Norris skulking near the top.
"Oh, let's kick her, just this once," Ron whispered in Harry's ear, but Harry shook his head.
Percy decided. He ran out and immediately transformed into Filch, the cat looked at it's supposedly master with glee. Percy as Flinch grinned and kicked her. Then he turned back invisible.
"I'm been meaning to do that," Percy said. He saw Ron looking jealously at him.
Peeves were bobbing halfway up, loosening the carpet so that people would trip.
"Who's there?" he said suddenly as they climbed toward him. He narrowed his wicked black eyes. "Know you're there, even if I can't see you. Are you ghoulie or ghostie or wee student beastie?"
Percy then again shifted, but this time into the bloody baron
"Hello, Peeves," he said in the Baron's voice.
Peeves almost fell out of the air in shock. He caught himself in time and hovered about a foot off the stairs.
"So sorry, your bloodiness, Mr Baron, sir," he said greasily. "My mistake, my mistake — I didn't see you — of course, I didn't, you can be invisible —forgive old Peevsie his little joke, sir."
Percy decided to rub his pale white chin and glared at Peeves who whimpered.
"I have business here, Peeves," Percy growled. "Stay away from this place tonight."
"I will, sir, I most certainly will," said Peeves, rising in the air again. "Hope your business goes well, Baron, I'll not bother you. "And he scooted off.
"Brilliant Percy," Hermione said and kissed his cheek. Something that made his white pale skin go as red as Ron's hair.
A few seconds later, they were there, outside the third-floor corridor —and the door was already ajar.
"Well, there you are," Harry said quietly, "Snape's already got past Fluffy."
Seeing the open door somehow seemed to impress upon all three of them what was facing them. Underneath the Cloak, Harry turned to the other three.
"If you want to go back, I won't blame you," he said. "You can take the Cloak, I won't need it now."
"Don't be stupid," said Ron.
"We're coming," said Hermione
"Whether you like it or not," said Percy.
Harry pushed the door open. As the door creaked, low, rumbling growls met their ears. All three of the dog's noses sniffed madly in their direction, even though it couldn't see them.
"What's that at its feet?" Hermione whispered.
"Looks like a harp," said Ron. "Snape must have left it there."
"It must wake up the moment you stop playing," said Harry.
"Well, here goes . . ."He put Hagrid's flute to his lips and blew. It wasn't really a tune, but from the first note, the beast's eyes began to droop. Harry hardly drew breath. Slowly, the dog's growls ceased — it tottered on its paws and fell to its knees, then it slumped to the ground, fast asleep.
"Keep playing," Ron warned Harry as they slipped out of the Cloak and crept toward the trapdoor. They could feel the dog's hot, smelly breath as they approached the giant heads.
"I think we'll be able to pull the door open," said Ron, peering over the dog's back.
"Want to go first, Hermione?"
"No, I don't!"
"All right, I'll go," Percy said and stepped carefully over the dog's legs. He bent and pulled the ring of the trapdoor, which swung up and open.
"What can you see?" Hermione said anxiously.
"Nothing — just black — there's no way of climbing down, we'll just have to drop."
Harry, who was still playing the flute, waved at Ron to get his attention and pointed at himself.
"You want to go first? Are you sure?" said Ron. "I don't know how deep this thing goes. Give the flute to Hermione so she can keep him asleep."
Harry handed the flute over. In the few seconds' silence, the dog growled and twitched, but the moment Hermione began to play, it fell back into its deep sleep.
Harry climbed over it and looked down through the trapdoor. There was no sign of the bottom. He lowered himself through the hole until he was hanging on by his fingertips.
Then he looked up at Ron and said, "If anything happens to me, don't follow. Go straight to the owlery and send Hedwig to Dumbledore, right?"
"Right," said Ron. "See you in a minute, I hope. . . ."
And Harry let go. Ron followed right away. Then Percy. They landed, sprawled next to Harry. "What's this stuff?" were his first words.
"Dunno, some sort of plant thing. I suppose it's here to break the fall. Come on, Hermione!"
The distant music stopped. There was a loud bark from the dog, but Hermione had already jumped. She landed on Harry's other side.
"We must be miles under the school," she said.
"Lucky this plant thing's here, really," said Ron.
"Lucky!" shrieked Hermione. "Look at you three!"
She leapt up and struggled toward a damp wall. She had to struggle because the moment she had landed, the plant had started to twist snake-like tendrils around her ankles. As for Harry Percy and Ron, their legs had already been bound tightly in long creepers without their noticing.
Percy realizing what it is stopped moving. But Ron and Harry didn't and tried to pry off.
"Stop moving," Percy ordered. "It's the devil's snare. We need to fire!" Percy tried to get his wand out, but they were to tight.
"Yes — of course — but there's no wood!" Hermione cried, wringing her hands.
"HAVE YOU GONE MAD?" Ron bellowed. "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?"
"Oh, right!" said Hermione, and she whipped out her wand, waved it, muttered something, and sent a jet of bluebell flames.
In a matter of seconds, the three boys felt it loosening its grip as it cringed away from the light and warmth. Wriggling and flailing, it unravelled itself from their bodies, and they were able to pull free.
"Lucky you pay attention in Herbology, Percy," said Harry as he joined him by the wall, wiping sweat off his face. "and lucky Harry doesn't lose his head in a crisis—there's no wood,' honestly."
Can you hear something?" Ron whispered.
Harry listened. A soft rustling and clinking seemed to be coming from up ahead.
"Do you think it's a ghost?"
"I don't know . . . sounds like wings to me."
"There's light ahead — I can see something moving."
They reached the end of the passageway and saw before them a brilliantly lit chamber, its ceiling arching high above them. On the opposite side of the chamber was a heavy wooden door.
"Do you think they'll attack us if we cross the room?" said Ron.
"Probably," said Harry. "They don't look very vicious, but I suppose if they all swooped down at once . . . well, there's no other choice . . . I'll run."
The other two soon followed him. They tugged and heaved at the door, but it wouldn't budge, not even when Hermione tried her Alohomora Charm.
"Now what?" said Ron. "These birds . . . they can't be here just for decoration," said Hermione.
They watched the birds soaring overhead, glittering — glittering?
"They're not birds!" Harry said suddenly. "They're keys! Winged keys —look carefully. So that must mean . . ."
We've got to catch the key to the door!" Percy said
"But there are hundreds of them!" Ron examined the lock on the door.
"We're looking for a big, old-fashioned one — probably silver, like the handle."
They each seized a broomstick and kicked off into the air, soaring into the midst of the cloud of keys. They grabbed and snatched, but the bewitched keys darted and dived so quickly it was almost impossible to catch one.
After a minute's weaving about through the whirl of rainbow feathers, Harry noticed a large silver key that had a bent wing, as if it had already been caught and stuffed roughly into the keyhole.
"That one!" he called to the others. "That big one — there — no, there —with bright blue wings — the feathers are all crumpled on one side."
Ron went speeding in the direction that Harry was pointing, crashed into the ceiling, and nearly fell off his broom.
"We've got to close in on it!" Harry called, not taking his eyes off the key with the damaged wing.
"Ron, you come at it from above — Hermione, stay below and stop it from going down, Percy stay to my opponent and I'll try and catch it. Right, NOW!"
Ron dived, Hermione rocketed upward, Percy stayed close to Harry. The key dodged them three, and Harry streaked after it; it sped toward the wall, Harry leaned forward and almost broke his nose if Percy wasn't there in time. He dove straight down and caught him.
"Thanks."
"Any time."
They landed quickly, and Harry ran to the door, the key struggling in his hand. He rammed it into the lock and turned — it worked. The moment the lock had clicked open, the key took flight again, looking very battered.
"Ready?" Harry asked the other three, his hand on the door handle.
They nodded. He pulled the door open. The next chamber was so dark they couldn't see anything at all. But as they stepped into it, the light suddenly flooded the room to reveal an astonishing sight. They were standing on the edge of a huge chessboard, behind the black chessmen, which were all taller than they were and carved from what looked like a black stone. Facing them, way across the chamber, were the white pieces.
"Now what?" Percy said.
"It's obvious, isn't it?" said Ron. "We've got to play our way across the room."
Behind the white pieces, they could see another door.
"How?" said Hermione nervously.
"I think," said Ron, "we're going to have to be chessmen."
"Do we — er — have to join you to get across?" The black knight nodded.
Ron turned to the other two. "This needs thinking about. . . ." he said. "I suppose we've got to take the place of three of the black pieces. . . ."
Harry, Percy and Hermione stayed quiet, watching Ron think. Finally, he said,
"Now, don't be offended or anything, but neither of you is that good at chess —"
"We're not offended," said Harry quickly.
"Just tell us what to do."
"Well, Harry, you take the place of that bishop, and Hermione, you go here instead of that castle. Percy will be the queen"
"What about you?"
"I'm going to be a knight," said Ron.
The chessmen seemed to have been listening, because at these words a knight, a bishop, a castle and the queen turned their backs on the white pieces and walked off the board, leaving three empty squares that Harry, Ron, and Hermione took.
"White always plays first in chess," said Ron, peering across the board. "Yes . . . look . . ."
A white pawn had moved forward two squares
"Harry — move diagonally four squares to the right. "Their first real shock came when their other knight was taken. The white queen smashed him to the floor and dragged him off the board.
"Had to let that happen," said Ron, looking shaken. "Leaves you free to take that bishop, Hermione, go on."
Every time one of their men was lost, the white pieces showed no mercy. Soon there was a huddle of limp black players slumped along the wall. Ron noticed in time that Harry and Hermione were in danger.
He himself darted around the board, taking almost as many white pieces as they had lost black ones.
"We're nearly there," he muttered suddenly. "Let me think — let me think . . ."The white queen turned her blank face toward him.
"Yes . . ." said Ron softly, "it's the only way . . . I've got to be taken."
"NO!" Percy Harry and Hermione shouted.
"That's chess!" snapped Ron. "You've got to make some sacrifices! I'll make my move and she'll take me — that leaves you free to checkmate the king, Harry!"
"But —"
"Do you want to stop Snape or not?"
"Ron —"
"Look, if you don't hurry up, he'll already have the Stone!"
"Damn you, Ron," Percy muttered.
There was no alternative.
"Ready?" Ron called, his face pale but determined. "Here I go — now, don't hang around once you've won."
He stepped forward, and the white queen pounced. She struck Ron hard across the head with her stone arm, and he crashed to the floor — Hermione screamed but stayed on her square — the white queen dragged Ron to one side. He looked as if he'd been knocked out.
Shaking, Harry moved three spaces to the left. The white king took off his crown and threw it at Harry's feet. They had won. The chessmen parted and bowed, leaving the door ahead clear. With one last desperate look back at Ron. Percy immediately went to Ron
"What if he's — ?"
"He'll breathing," Percy said. "Just knocked out."
The other's felt relieved.
"What do you reckon's next?"
"We've had Sprout's, that was the Devil's Snare; Flitwick must've put charms on the keys; McGonagall transfigured the chessmen to make them alive; that leaves Quirrell's spell, and Snape's . . ."
They had reached another door. "All right?" Harry whispered. "Go on." Harry pushed it open.
A disgusting smell filled their nostrils, making both of them pull up over their noses. Eyes watering, they saw, flat on the floor in front of them, a troll even larger than the one they had tackled, out cold with a bloody lump on its head.
"I'm glad we didn't have to fight that one," Harry whispered as they stepped carefully over one of its massive legs. "Come on, I can't breathe."
But their luck ran out because the troll opened its eye. It probably smells two half-bloods. (Get the joke?)
"Go" Percy whispered to them.
"What?" Harry said.
"Percy you'll..."
"JUST GO!" Percy shouted. "Hey ugly, over here," he screamed as Harry and Hermione ran to the final chamber. Percy took out his wand just as it was about to swing its gigantic hand. Percy dodged and sent a disarming charm straight into the troll's face. The troll merely lost it's club and grabbed Percy's leg hanging him upside down. He tried to wretch but it had a solid grip.
"Expelliarmus!" he shouted and this time, it let go of him. But the bad news was he dropped him headfirst onto the rock floor. The last thing he saw before he lost consciousness was the troll's ugly face.
Something gold was glinting just above him. He tried to catch it, but his arms were too heavy and his head was throbbing. He rubbed his head to find a bandage wrapped around it.
He blinked. The smiling face of Albus Dumbledore swam into view above him.
"Hello, Perseus."
Percy stared at him. Then he remembered: "Sir! The Stone! It was Snape! He's got the Stone! Sir, quick —"
"Calm yourself, dear boy, you are a little behind the times," said Dumbledore. "Snape does not have the Stone. It was Quirell"
"But"
"Perseus, please relax, or Madam Pomfrey will have me thrown out."
Percy nodded and looked around him. He realized he must be in the hospital wing. He was lying in a bed with white linen sheets, and next to him was a table piled high with what looked like half the candy shop. There was a similar but bigger pile next to Harry who was sleeping.
"How long have I been in here?"
"A day," Dumbledore said absentmindedly. "Your friends especially Miss Granger will be relieved."
"But sir, the Stone —"
"I see you are not to be distracted. Very well, the Stone. Professor Quirrell was the one who was after the stone. He did not manage to take it from Harry I arrived in time to prevent that."
"What about the stone?" Percy asked.
"The Stone? it has been destroyed."
"Destroyed?" said Percy blankly. "But your friend — Nicolas Flamel —"
"Well, Nicolas and I have had a little chat, and agreed it's all for the best."
"But won't he and Mrs Flamel die?"
"They have enough Elixir stored to set their affairs in order and then, yes, they will die."
"To one as young as you, I'm sure it seems incredible, but to Nicolas and Perenelle, it really is like going to bed after a very, very long day. After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. You know, the Stone was really not such a wonderful thing. As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all —the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them."
"Sir?" said Percy. "I've been thinking why did Quirell try to steal the stone?"
Dumbledore's expression was grim. Just one word is enough. "Voldemort."
"He's back isn't he?"
"Yes Percy, he's still out there somewhere. Not dead but not alive. After he shared a body with Quirell, Quirell died. while Harry may only have delayed his return to power, it will merely take someone else who is prepared to fight what seems a losing battle next time and if he is delayed again, and again, why, he may never return to power."
Dumbledore smiled again.
"Ah. Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. I was most unfortunate in my youth to come across a vomit flavored one, and since then I have lost my liking for them. But I think I could be safe with a nice toffee..." He takes a pink bean and eats it. "Mm... soap."
Ron and Hermione tried to visit both boys. When he first met, Hermione ran to him and crushed him in a hug sobbing and telling him never to do it again. Ron merely stared at them.
After two days later, Harry woke up and told Percy of his encounter with Quirrell and Voldemort. Then he was discharged. When he went to the common room, everyone was applauding at him and patting his back. He was quite shocked at this and had to transform into a different student just to escape. Perks of being a metamorphagus.
Percy was waiting for Harry to come now. It was the end of the year feast and Madam Pomfrey reluctantly let him go. Not before Hagrid came.
"It's — all — my — ruddy — fault!" he sobbed, his face in his hands. "I told the evil git how ter get past Fluffy! I told him! It was the only thing he didn't know, an' I told him! Yeh could've died! All fer a dragon egg! I'll never drink again! I should be chucked out an' made ter live as a Muggle!"
"Hagrid!" said Harry, shocked to see Hagrid shaking with grief and remorse, great tears leaking down into his beard.
"Hagrid," Percy reasoned. "he'd have found out somehow, this is Voldemort we're talking about, he'd have found out even if you hadn't told him."
"Yeh could've died!" sobbed Hagrid. "An' don' say the name!"
"VOLDEMORT!" Harry and Percy bellowed. Hagrid was so shocked, he stopped crying. "I've met him and I'm calling him by his name. Please cheer up, Hagrid, we saved the Stone, it's gone, he can't use it. Have a ChocolateFrog, I've got loads. . . ."
Hagrid wiped his nose on the back of his hand and said,
"That reminds me. I've got yeh a present."
"It's not a stoat sandwich, is it?" said Harry anxiously, and at last Hagridgave a weak chuckle.
"Nah. Dumbledore gave me the day off yesterday ter fix it. 'Course, he shoulda sacked me instead — anyway, got yeh this . . ."It seemed to be a handsome, leather-covered book. Harry opened it curiously. It was full of wizard photographs. Smiling and waving at him from every page were his mother and father.
"Sent owls off ter all yer parents' old school friends, askin' fer photos . . .knew yeh didn't' have any . . . d'yeh like it?"
"They're beautiful," Percy whispered
Harry didn't speak, but Hagrid understood.
the Great Hall was already full. It was decked out in the Slytherin colours of green and silver to celebrate Slytherin's winning the house cup for the seventh year in a row. A huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covered the wall behind the High Table. When they walked in there was a sudden hush, and then everybody started talking loudly at once.
"Another year has gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully, your heads are all a little fuller than they were . . . you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts. . . .
"Now, as I understand it, the House Cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two."
A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table.
"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," said Dumbledore. "However, recent events must be taken into account."The room went very still. The Slytherins' smiles faded a little.
"Ahem," said Dumbledore. "I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes . . ."First — to Mr Ronald Weasley . . ."
Ron went purple in the face.
". . . for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor House fifty points."
Gryffindor cheers nearly raised the bewitched ceiling; the stars overhead seemed to quiver. Percy could be heard telling the other prefects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set!"
At last, there was silence again.
"Second — to Mr Perseus Jackson . . . for singlehandedly defeating a mountain troll, I award you Fifty points."
Percy's mouth was wide open as everyone cheered.
"third to Miss Hermione Granger . . . for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor House thirty points."
Hermione buried her face in her arms and burst into tears. Griffyndore was now more than a hundred points up.
"Fourth to Mr Harry Potter . . ." said Dumbledore. The room went deadly quiet. ". . . for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house thirty points."
Those who could add up while yelling themselves hoarse knew that Gryffindor now had four hundred and seventy-two points— the same as Slytherin. They had tied for the House Cup — if onlyDumbledore had given Harry just one more point.
Dumbledore raised his hand. The room gradually fell silent.
"There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I, therefore, award ten points to Mr Neville Longbottom."
So loud was the noise that erupted from the Gryffindor table. Harry, Ron, Percy and Hermione stood up to yell and cheer as Neville, white with shock, disappeared under a pile of people hugging him. Malfoy, who couldn't have looked more stunned and horrified if he'd just had the Body-Bind Curse put on him.
"Which means," Dumbledore called over the storm of applause, for even Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were celebrating the downfall of Slytherin,
"We need a little change of decoration."He clapped his hands. In an instant, the green hangings became scarlet and the silver became gold; the huge Slytherin serpent vanished and a towering Gryffindor lion took its place. Snape was shaking Professor McGonagall'shand, with a horrible, forced smile
It was the best evening of Percy's life, it was something he would never, ever forget tonight.
Percy had almost forgotten that the exam results were still to come, but come they did. He had gote more than he expected though. He was shocked to not find a P in History of Magic.
Hermione, of course, had the best grades of the first years. Even Neville scraped through, his good Herbology mark making up for his abysmal options one.
And suddenly, their wardrobes were empty, their trunks were packed, Neville's toad was found lurking in a corner of the toilets; notes were handed out to all students, warning them not to use magic over the holidays. Hagrid was there to take them down to the fleet of boats that sailed across the lake; they were boarding the Hogwarts Express; talking and laughing as the countryside became greener and tidier; eating Bertie Bott's Every FlavorBeans as they sped past Muggle towns; pulling off their wizard robes and putting on jackets and coats; pulling into platform nine and three-quarters king's Cross station.
It took quite a while for them all to get off the platform. A wizened oldguard was up by the ticket barrier, letting them go through the gate in twosand threes so they didn't attract attention by all bursting out of a solid wall atonce and alarming the Muggles.
"You must come and stay this summer," said Ron, "All of you — I'llsend you an owl."
"Thanks," said Harry, "I'll need something to look forward to."
People jostled them as they moved forward toward the gateway back to theMuggle world. Some of them called:
"Bye, Harry!"
"See you, Potter!"
"Still famous," said Ron, grinning at him.
"Not where I'm going, I promise you," said Harry.He, Percy, Ron, and Hermione passed through the gateway together.
"There he is, Mum, there he is, look!"It was Ginny Weasley, Ron's younger sister, but she wasn't pointing atRon."Harry Potter!" she squealed. "Look, Mum! I can see —"
"Be quiet, Ginny, and it's rude to point."
Then he saw a beautiful young women wearing lime green robes. His mum Sally Jackson.
Mrs. Weasley smiled down at them.
"Busy year?" she said.
"Very," said Harry. "Thanks for the fudge and the sweater, Mrs. Weasley."
"Oh, it was nothing, dear."
"And thanks for the cookies Mrs. Jackson." said Harry. "Thats very kind of you."
"Oh its fine dear." Sally said waving it off. "And please call me Sally."
"Ready, are you?"
They turned around and Percy saw the fattest man he had ever seen. He had a purple face, thick, dark hair, a bushy black moustache, with hardly any neck and mean little eyes. Behind him stood a thin lady and a boy that resembled his father lookingterrified at the very sight of Harry.
"You must be Harry's family!" said Mrs. Weasley. Sally offered a kind smile to the boy who whimpered behind his mother's shoulders. Apparetly, Percy's purple hair somewhat offended her.
"In a manner of speaking," said Uncle Vernon. "Hurry up, boy, we haven'tgot all day."
He walked away.Harry hung back for a last word with Percy, Ron and Hermione.
"See you over the summer, then." said Percy.
"Hope you have — er — a good holiday," said Hermione, lookinguncertainly after Uncle Vernon, shocked that anyone could be so unpleasant.
"Oh, I will," said Harry, and they were surprised at the grin that wasspreading over his face. "They don't know we're not allowed to use magic athome. I'm going to have a lot of fun with Dudley this summer. . . ."
"My man." said Percy highfiving Harry.