Lunch Gossip

will pov

Finally. The bell rung. Algebra is torture. But I guess it wasn't too bad with Shelby sitting next to me.

Actually. Scratch that. It was horrible now that I think of it. She kept catching me stare at her, but instead of questioning it, she just gave me a cute smile.

Like...how am I not supposed to like her? She's so sweet. And our conversation proved that too when she supported me wanting to become a musician! 

"Bye William! I'll see you tomorrow." Shelby waves and leaves the classroom. I watch her walk away, which I know is really really weird, but thankfully George stopped me by hitting my back.

"You better tell me what happened at lunch." He snickered. We walk out the classroom together and head towards the cafeteria.

I groan when I see Jake and the group, consisting of Max, Jaiden, and Mateo, already sitting at the table. I'm glad that they don't really try to talk to George and I during lunch, but it makes it hard to talk about Shelby when they're there.

I plop my things down on the floor and walk with George to the lunch line. "Okay, tell me what happened."

"We just talked. But it was really nice. We asked each other questions like when our birthday was, if we had siblings or pets, and what we want to be when we grow older. She was just really nice about everything. But it was so embarrassing when she saw me staring at her. Which now means I can't do that anymore with her sitting next to me." I gush out. George laughs at me as we take our trays of food from the lunch lady's, not forgetting to say thank you.

"Savannah and I just watched the two of you for most of the time we got. Dude, your cheeks were so red the whole time."

"Wait. Woah. Hold up. Savannah knows??" I repeat.

"Okay...I didn't really tell her. She just found out. You make it kind of obvious. But don't worry, she won't tell. She's fully on team- you see, we were actually debating on what your ship name could be. Cause there's Sill, Welby, and Wilby. But none of them sound good."

"Oh god. Those are all really bad. Okay now shut up." We sit back down at the table.

"Man Will, in Algebra, Ashley kept complaining how you got sat with that nerd girl and not her. She said she'd complain to Mr. Sullivan about that." Jake immediately says. I sigh in disgust.

Luckily, after that annoying comment, Jake and the rest of the guys started their own conversation, which meant George and I could have our own.

"What could possible be your ship name? Out of those, the best is, like, Welby or something." George says. I laugh at him.

"There doesn't need to be a ship name. Look. Honestly, maybe just being friends with her is the best for right now." I tell him. He frowns. "We'll see. But just for now, this is okay. She knows who I am. I've talked to her, without running away, and she also seemed happy to see me tomorrow."

"Sav and I are still team 'whatever your ship name will be'." George evily smirks. Why did I become friends with him again?

"Will!!" I hear my name being shouted by a feminine voice, immediately knowing who it was. I sigh and turn around to see Ashley strutting up to me with the clickity sound of her high heels.

She was basically a real life Sharpay from High School Musical, which is ironic because the person who was casted as her was also named Ashley.

"Will! Hi! So. I talked to Mr. Sullivan and complained about sitting with Aaron, and he let me choose someone I want to sit with. Obviously, I chose you. So he just wants your confirmation so we can switch!" She bats her eyelashes as she talked.

I raise my eyebrows in shock at how entitled she thinks she is. First off, she's not even that pretty. But everyone seems to love her. Second, she has such an ugly personality. And lastly, SHE WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE. Like, fuck off Ashley.

I notice in the corner of my eye, Shelby looking over at us. I know she heard what Ashley said because she speaks so fucking loud. I watch Scott, who I am pretty sure is her best friend, pat her on the shoulder as they turn their heads away.

"Look Ashley. I'm sorry, but I think I'd like to stay where I'm sitting." I try to say in the most polite way so she doesn't start throwing a tantrum like the baby she is.

"Are you serious? You want to sit with the nerd?!" Ashley scoffed. Like, bitch? What is your problem? Get it through your thick skull. I DON'T LIKE YOU. Obviously, I don't say this out loud.

"Ooh! I see. You're playing hard to get. 2 can play at that game William." She smiles and struts away, thankfully.

I swear, everything she does and says has to be about her. She thinks I'm playing hard to get where in reality I just am no where near interested in her!

"Will, I thought you just hated Ashley, but you were actually just acting like that on purpose? Damn. No wonder every girl falls for you." Jake laughs. I only want one girl to fall for me...

I roll my eyes for what felt like the hundredth time today, and turn back to George. "What is Ashley's problem?" I whisper. "She's fucking crazy!"

"I was looking at Shelby and she seemed upset when Ashley talked about wanting to sit next to you. That means something!!"

"Or she hates Ashley and didn't appreciate her neglecting her existence." I counter.

"Will. You say you like Shelby but every time an opportunity or a possible hint that she likes you back pops up, you turn it down and come up with the stupidest excuse! Just go talk to her!!" George complains. 

He's kind of right though. But I do all that because I don't want to get heartbroken. Not like Shelby would ever do that intentionally, but it's bound to happen if I were to tell her how I feel.

"I need just a little more time!" I say.

"Time for what?"

"I don't know! To- to get to know her. I started liking her before I even knew what she sounded like. Before today, I barely knew her! Actually, I still barely know her. I just need to find out who she actually is before I tell her."

"Okay. But I'm just letting you know, Shelby is an independent and mature girl, but she has a difficult time expressing her emotions. So you can't wait for her to tell you how she feels first. You have to be the one to make the move." 

I sigh at George's words. Because he's right. Absolutely spot on. "Sorry that you always have to hear me talk about Shelby."

"Oh please. This is like television. Instead of Love is Blind, your show would be called William is Blind." He joked.

I gently shove him with my shoulder. "Whatever. So what's going on with you and Savannah?"