Prologue

It was a late summer night. The moon was shining through a window, letting the light inside a small room. It was very peaceful and quiet, a nightlamp was shining, lighting up the room.

"Dang it!"  someone let out a quiet whisper, breaking the silence.
It was coming from the bed. It sounded annoyed, like someone was struggling with something. A teenage girl was trying to fall asleep, changing positions every short moment.

She sat down, looking very tired. A little bit of sweat was dropping from her face. It was very warm in the room. As she stood up, she went up to the window. She grabbed the window handle and turned it ninety degrees to the left. When she let go, cold air filled the room.

The girl smiled, delightfully lying back on her bed. She looked at the calendar. Tomorrow was marked with a thick red marker, spelling out the letters:
S-C-H-O-O-L
T-R-I-P
With a relieved smile on her face, she closed her eyes. She started thinking about the trip and her friends, and how much fun she will have tomorrow! She couldn't wait to see them again!

'I need to fall asleep eventually!!' She thought. But she couldn't.

She could hear the clock ticking, very slowly, almost calming. Her dad hanged it on the wall ages ago. She was used to the ticking, she paid no attention to it before.

She started counting the ticking. There is nothing to do, so why not?
1, 2, 3...
The time was going by very slowly.
15, 16, 17...
The ticks that came from the old clock echoed in her ears.
30, 31, 32...
Was it just her, or did the ticking speed up?
78, 79, 80...
Yeah, it definitely ticks faster now.
96, 97, 98, 99...
And then it stopped. Did the battery run out? She felt weird, uncomfortable. She realized, there was no bed underneath her anymore. She stopped feeling anything. Panic started. What was happening? 

Then suddenly a sharp wave of pain ran through her body. She felt something underneath her again. But it wasn't her bed.