Chapter One

I haven't felt so exited before! As soon as I woke up, I jumped out of bed in joy. I ripped the calendar page, and threw it in the trash. The day has finally come! The school trip!

I disconnected my phone from the charger, and turned it on. I quickly texted something in the friend group chat, faster than ever.

"Woke up, be there in thirty minutes!"

I threw my phone into the bag, and ran downstairs. My mom was already there, cooking breakast. I was surprised to the smell of eggs and sausages, since my mom can't cook.

"Good morning sweetie!" My mom waved at me, still watching the eggs. She looked a bit worried, but it was probably because of her work. She works really hard as a shopkeeper in a small shop selling soap and candles.

"Good morning!" I answered, comming up to her to give her a warm hug. She hugged me back.

I came up to the table, put my bag on the floor next to my chair. I quickly grabbed some bread and put it in the toaster for my dad, since he always forgets and has no time. I looked around. There he was, sitting in the chair, reading a newspaper. He looked pretty nervous, hiding behind it. I tried reading the news, but the letters were too small and far away.

"Don't forget your inhalor!" My mom mentioned, looking pretty serious, since It was really important.

"I would never." I showed her my medication, and put it in my pocket. 

My mom put my eggs on the plate. She poured some orange juice into my favourite cup. I helped her putting everything on the table. Plates, cups, forks and knifes. We called my brother downstairs, although he never answers.

"Could you please..." my mom didn't finish, when I knew what she wanted.

"Get Alan up? Sure." I walked up the stairs again. I knocked on the door, not expecting an answer, and opened it. Like always, my
brother was sitting in front of his gaming pc, and played horror games. He didn't notice me entering the room. I sneaked behind him.

"Boo!" I yelled, taking of his headset. He jumped, not understanding what happened for a moment. After a few seconds we both giggled. "Mom made breakfast. You sure don't want to get late for school again!"

"Finee..." Alan stood up, he was very bored and lazy. He turned off his PC with one click of a button, and headed downstairs.

My mom was already eating. My brother sat down to the table, next to me.

I thanked mom and started eating. It wasn't perfect, since my mom doesn't know herself in cooking, but it was alright.

"Alan, were you playing your video games again?" mom asked irrotated. My brother looked at me, seeking for an excuse.

"He was... Working on a school project." I answered quickly, angry at him, for not standing up for himself.

I finished the meal as quickly, as I could, trying not to choke. With eggs still in my mouth, I stood up and put the dishes into the sink. I grabbed the bag, said goodbye, hugged Alan and left the house.

It wasn't very hot, but not cold enought to wear a sweater. I started walking to school. It was pretty close, but I still needed to walk a bit. I could hear the birds chirping, It was a very peaceful morning. I was wondering, if my friends have left the house already. I checked the phone. Weird. No-one answered. Usually they answer very quickly. Maybe they had no time?

I could finally see the school. It wasn't as loud as it usually is. I was searching for my friends in the crowd, but I couldn't see very well. I got closer, when suddenly I heard someone call my name.

"Hey, Hope! Over here!"

I turned around and saw my friend - Hilda  - waving at me. She is such a nice friend! But someone was missing.

"Where is Violett? She usually comes first." I asked. I was a bit worried for her. Maybe she caught a cold?

"That's the problem. She doesn't answer my calls or texts. Is she sick?" Hilda answered. She looked behind me, only to see Lucas going by.

I knew she had a huge crush on him, but he never seemed to notice her. I always wanted to tell her to just give up on him, but something was always stopping me. I knew it would break her heart, since she is so emotional. So I ignored Lucas and looked at her with a straight face. She looked at me not understanding me. She should focus more.

"Should we report it to the teacher? I mean the situation about Violet." I tried getting her attention, it seemed to work.

"It's not a big deal. People get sick sometimes! And I'm sure mrs. Levine will notice." My friend said.

The bus came, and our classmates started entering it. Me and Hilda followed them. It was our turn to enter the bus, as the teacher marked our presence on the list.

"Are you alright?" she asked with compassion in her voice, chewing her gum loudly, like usual.

I looked at Hilda, She looked at me. What was she talking about? The bus driver yelled at us for being so slow, so we entered the bus quickly. We sat on the left side of the bus, I was closer to the window.

I had a stange feeling, like everyone was looking at us. Something was not right. Mrs. Levine came up to us, and sat at the third seat next to us. I was getting more and more worried, as she started to speak.

"I saw the news. Are you sure you are alright?" she sounded more serious, than usually. I mean, she is always so funny and joyful! "You can tell me, I might help!"

I took the words first.

"I... We don't really understand what you're talking about...?" I said, trying to calm down.

"Haven't you seen the news?"

Both of us shook our heads for a no.

"I... It's better if I show you this." she handed us a newspaper.

"MORE PEOPLE ARE MISSING." - It said, with thick and big letters. I wasn't suprized, since people have been going missing in this town for over a month already. I realized it's the same newspaper, that my dad was reading.

But then I saw the missing people list. There was a specific name, that I recognized.

"Violett Summers".