Chapter 5 - Web of Desire

The morning sunlight filtered through the curtains and landed on Hana's face, waking her up. She opened her eyes slowly and stretched her arms and legs. Her muscles ached pleasantly, reminding her of the previous night she had spent with Roman. She rolled over to the pillow Roman laid on and breathed in his lingering scent, wishing he was still there next to her.

The sound of little feet running down the hallway burst Hana's bubble, reminding her of her responsibilities as caretaker of the orphanage. Hana quickly got dressed in a light blue floral sundress and gathered up the bedsheets, wrinkled and soiled from her and Roman's activities. She hurried to the laundry closet, stuffing the sheets inside to hide them from the kids.

Hana made her way to the kitchen and started cooking breakfast - bowls of oatmeal with brown sugar and chopped nuts, and cups of juice. The sleepy-eyed children soon shuffled in and took their places at the table. As Hana cooked and served the children, her mind wandered back to Roman, the feel of his body close to hers and his lips on her skin.

Hana forced herself to focus on the day's chores. She played games with the younger kids to help them practice letters and numbers, assisted the older children with homework assignments, and cooked up some grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch. Throughout it all, thoughts of Roman kept creeping back, the way he had touched and kissed every part of her the night before.

Hana knew she had to see Roman again. She couldn't stop thinking about their passionate nights together over the past couple days and longed to be back in his arms.

After lunch, Hana cleaned up the dishes while the children played. She went to find Blister, who was relaxing in the common room.

"Hey Blister, I need to step out for a couple hours this afternoon. Could you keep an eye on the kids while I'm gone?" Hana asked.

"No problem!" Blister replied. "You go do what you need to, I'll watch over the little rascals here."

"Thanks so much," Hana said. She didn't offer any details about where she was going.

Hana made her way through the streets of Satellite toward the looming crater that held the remains of the old reactor. She felt her pulse quicken as she approached the stairs leading underground. She hoped Roman would be there waiting for her.

The stairway seemed to go on forever but finally Hana reached the bottom. The air was dank and musty, lit only by a few flickering candles along the stone walls. She walked slowly down the long corridor, listening for any sounds.

As she reached the end, she saw a faint warm glow spilling from the open doorway. Steeling herself, she walked through. The room was simple, with stone walls and floor. In the center sat Roman at the long wooden table, a candelabra illuminating his face.

When he saw Hana, Roman immediately stood up, his face breaking into a smile. "You came," he said warmly as he swiftly crossed the room. He embraced her tightly, one hand gently cradling the back of her head.

Hana hugged him back, feeling his strong body against hers. Roman pulled back just far enough to bring his lips to hers in a hungry kiss. Hana melted into his kiss as the flickering candlelight dancing around their silhouettes.

After a while, their lips finally parted. Hana looked up into Roman's eyes. "I had to see you again," she whispered.

Roman caressed Hana's cheek, his fingers trailing gently along her skin. "I'm glad you're here," he murmured.

Roman slid his hands up along her bare arms and down her back, caressing her through the thin fabric of her sleeveless sundress. Hana sighed softly at his touch, her body craving more. She reached up and ran her fingers through his silver hair as his hands continued to explore the curves of her body. Roman closed his eyes, savoring the feeling of her warm touch.