Chapter 6 - Destiny's Crossroads

Hana and Roman were deeply engrossed in conversation when one of the flames on the large candelabra extinguished with a hiss. Roman's expression darkened.

"One of our Dark Signers has failed us," he said grimly. "Devack has been extinguished."

Roman took the candelabra and rose from his seat. "Where one falls, another shall rise," he declared as he strode purposefully into the shadows of an adjoining room.

Hana watched him disappear, unease creeping into her heart. She wondered what Roman was planning. After several tense minutes, he returned with another man in tow. This man had long, dark hair spilling over his broad shoulders and mocha-colored skin. Hana recognized him as Greiger, the turbo duelist who dueled Yusei at the Fortune Cup.

"Seek out Yusei Fudo," Roman commanded the man. "Challenge him as a Dark Signer and defeat him."

Greiger nodded silently, his eyes burning with vengeful purpose. Without another word, he turned and left the candlelit room.

Hana felt a chill go down her spine as she watched the ominous exchange. Roman reclaimed his seat at the table next to her, his expression unreadable in the flickering light.

An uneasy silence fell between Hana and Roman. Finally, Hana spoke up timidly. "What was Greiger doing here?" she asked.

Roman's expression was distant. "I observed him during the Fortune Cup," he explained. "He was consumed by a desire for vengeance against Rex Goodwin for the destruction of his village. I knew he would make a powerful Dark Signer."

Hana absorbed this grimly. She remembered witnessing Greiger's duel against Yusei and his rage when he lost.

"So I had him brought here and turned into a Dark Signer," Roman continued. "Now he will get the revenge he craves by defeating Yusei."

Hana felt a chill at Roman's words. She hoped desperately that Yusei would be able to overcome this new threat. Greiger's fury had been terrifying to watch. But she did not dare voice her concerns to Roman.

Instead, she simply nodded and changed the subject, steering their talk to lighter matters.

An hour later, they watched as another candle flame suddenly went out.

"Kalin's flame has been extinguished," Roman said grimly. He suddenly clenched his fist and grimaced in pain, his other hand grasping at the spider mark on his right arm. Purple bruise-like marks were creeping up from the mark, marring his skin.

  "What's happening? Is it your mark?" Hana asked worriedly, placing her hand gently on his shoulder

Roman took a labored breath. "The darkness in me is growing," he said through gritted teeth. "Before it's too late, I must face Yusei and fulfill my destiny."

Hana's eyes widened with fear at his words. "There must be another way." she pleaded, her voice cracking. "I can't lose you..." She squeezed his shoulder, desperate to comfort him.