𝟎𝟕| 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧: 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐰𝐨. 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐨𝐟𝐟?

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 as the sides slowly fell over. Urokodaki walked up to them as their mouths stayed agape. Y/n turned to the man first, "Urokodaki..."

   "To be honest, I had no intention of sending you to the Final Selection. Because I didn't want to see any more children die. I was sure you wouldn't be able to slice this boulder, but..." the pan placed his hands on their heads, smoothing down their hair, "well done, Tanjiro, Y/n. Truly remarkable. I'm very proud." Y/n and Tanjiro teared up, Urokodaki pulled them into a hug, "make sure you come back alive from Final Selection. Your sister and I will be waiting for you here."

   Urokodaki led them back to his estate, telling them to wash up before dinner. When they were done, they watched the boiling vegetables and grilled fish. Their mouths watered. "There's so much food. What's the deal?" Tanjiro asked.

   "You've finished your training, so we're celebrating. Time to eat! Don't be shy," the man explained.

   "Thank you!" Y/n smiled, leaning over to take her bowl, "I'm starving..." She began to eat and her eyes glistened, "this is so delicious!"

   Tanjiro nodded in agreement, "it's so good..."

   They both finished their first bowls quickly, "would you like some more! Don't be shy, this is a big night for you two."

   "Yes please!" The night was partially quiet, Y/n and Tanjiro were chatting and laughing with Urokodaki. It was nice, feeling like a little family.

   After they filled their bellies with the delicious food, Tanjiro and Y/n laid on the floor. "That was so good," Tanjiro sighed.

   "Mhm! I'm so full... I don't even remember how many bowls I had."

   Tanjiro laughed before he started to play with his hair, "hm..."

   "What is it?"

   "My hair, it's starting to get too long."

   She shook her head, "I don't think so, you look really good with long hair!" She stopped, realizing what she said before fixing her statement, "but, it's not practical for fighting... so maybe it would be best to keep it short."

   He blushed at Y/n's words but coughed it away, "Urokodaki? Would you happen to have a pair of shears?" The man nodded and got up, retrieving some hair cutting supplies. "Thank you," he said, putting on the bib and placing down the blanket. He was about to reach over to cut his own hair but realized it probably wouldn't turn out too good if he did it himself, "Y/n?"

   "Hm?"

   "Could you... help me?" He laughed sheepishly.

   Y/n nodded, "of course, Tanjiro." She took the shears from his hand and started cutting away. She was gentle and cut his hair like she remembered watching his mother do it.

   It was quiet, the only noises heard was the snipping of the shears and the folding of clothes. Urokodaki was at the opposite end of the room when he suddenly said, "Hey, you two..."

   "Yes?" They answered, and Y/n stopped cutting.

   "What did you think of the hotpot?"

   "It was great! We haven't feasted like that in a while. Growing kids with appetites like yours will get bigger and stronger the bigger your meals are. The same applies to demons. Remember that. The more humans a demon has eaten, the more powerful he'll be."

   "So if they eat a lot, the tougher they'll be to beat?" Tanjiro asked.

   "That's right. They get stronger, physical traits change, and some learn to use strange spells. You'll be able to tell how many poor souls they've claimed once your sense of smell starts to develop," he opened a cabinet, revealing two fox masks. Urokodaki handed them over.