S E V E N

The voice belonged to a girl in a short tulle red dress and such high heels that it would normally be impossible to walk in but somehow she walked gracefully without missing a single step. Her blonde curls flowed luxuriously down the length of her back and blew along with the wind but was never messed up as she made her way over, her arms draping her elbows to keep warm. Her smile is so bright that it should be on a toothpaste commercial. She's wearing a strapless dress in the middle of December. She's also eyeing the blazer--Jeremy's that is currently on me--like a hawk, like it's meant to be on her.

No doubt about it, she is gorgeous. But when she suddenly takes large strides over to Jeremy , who got off of me, and wraps her arms around his neck, her gorgeous image melts away. Jeremy seems taken aback but he doesn't move away nor does he seem to hate it. Then her eyes land on me, sneering. I raise an eyebrow as I carefully stand up to which she ignores.

"Madelyn?" Jeremy asks, pulling away.

"That's right, I took a plane here to see you before you came back!" She grins. She holds her hands out by her sides and shakes them. "Surprise!"

"What are you doing here?" He asks, puzzled. They don't even notice me standing here anymore so I just shuffle silently to keep myself warm while listening in to their conversation.

"Dylan's a great friend of mine, I met him when his mother and I did a photo shoot together," She explains. If I were to be very blunt about it--which I always am anyway--I would say that I don't like her, there's just this tightening in my chest that won't stop. She looks over to me, gasping as she finally pretends that she acknowledges me, holding her hand out. "I'm Madelyn with a y, nice to meet you."

"Jenn," I reply, not shaking her hand. I might get a scratch from those long manicured nails. Or I might just do something very violent. She doesn't call my rudeness out but nods, lowering her hand to her side but her face changes from smiley to one that could match the devil's.

"Are you a friend of Jeremy's or are you just a side ho-"

"Madelyn!" Jeremy shouts, shushing her up. She drops her perfect composure, looking down at her shoes in guilt--but it didn't seem genuine. I'm sure I can definitely call her an enemy, seeing that she almost called me a person who sleeps around.

"Sorry," She apologizes. I scoff.

"Come on, we should get inside. It's getting cold." Jeremy takes my hand which somehow made my heart pound again and pulls me towards the house again and I don't find the heart to make him let go. He doesn't even look back to see if Madelyn is following or not, which she isn't.

I want to ask him to finish what he said earlier but his mind is too occupied at the moment, looking furiously for something. I realize that it is an escape. A couple is heading towards him and he pulls me in another direction out of their way and sight. His grip on my hand keeps on getting tighter, making my hand turn red. I wince.

"Jeremy, your hand is-" He looks down, noticing my hand that is in pain.

"Sorry," He says, releasing it. I feel colder. "Where is that guy?"

"Who are you looking for?" I ask, rubbing the hand behind my back.

"My friend," Jeremy notices me looking at his hand, "he gave me a ride since my ride is in the shop for now." He searches the crowd. "Did he leave without me?"

"You can come home with me," I say. Jeremy stops, looks down at me, and then chuckles while shaking his head. I blink at him.

"Your words are easily misinterpreted," He takes my hand into his again. I suck in a quiet breath, noticing how the warmth returned immediately. "Don't ever say that to a guy-unless it's me, okay?"