Freedom

Marinette

Marinette opened her eyes as she got up, wiping a few tears from her eyes. Tiki floated up, looking at her master in worry before giving her a small hug on her cheek.

She smiled slightly as she picked Tiki up in her hands.

"I'm fine, Tiki. It was just a bad dream."

Tiki looked over at the photos hung on the wall. Looking at the photo of two siblings in front of the Louvre.

"Did you dream about your brother?" The pink kwami asked as she floated up to the photo.

"I did. It's his birthday, after all. He would be sixteen today."

"I'm sorry, Marinette. I wish I could tell you it gets better. Even in my long life, losing those you love gets hard. Most of us kwami's started focusing on what we are good at to help with the losses."

"You're right. Those who say it gets easier with time don't know how it feels to lose those you love."

Marinette climbed out of her bed as she started getting ready for school. As she didn't want to be late again. Since becoming Ladybug and the guardian, it's been a little difficult managing her time.

"Tiki, why don't you ever tell me of your past? Why don't the other Kwami's either?"

Tiki was silent for a moment as she sat on top of the Miracle box.

"Our past isn't a kind one, Marinette. We did something we weren't proud of. It had to be done, though. It was for the sake of the universe." Tiki was silent as if she was trying to convince herself for a moment before continuing. "We all made a rule for ourselves to not ever speak of our past. If people knew the truth, untold devastation would follow."

"You don't need to tell me. However, know I'm always here for you, Tiki."

"As I am for you, Marinette."

Marinette slung her purse over her shoulder, opening it so Tiki could fly in. Going downstairs, she saw her mother in the kitchen silently drinking tea. As she looked at the photos on the walls of their house.

"Mom, are you okay?" Marinette asked, putting her hand on her shoulder.

"Sorry, Marinette, I didn't hear you come down. Are you hungry, I can make you something?"

Frowning as she noticed her mother didn't answer her question. She shook her head.

"You don't need to make me anything. I'm not hungry. I need to go now, though, I'll be late otherwise." Hugging her mom, she made her way down to the bakey to see her father.

Sabine watched her daughter go before turning her gaze back to the photos on the walls.

Reaching the bakey, she snatched a few macaroons for Tiki as she dropped them in her purse.

"Marinette, why don't you take a box for your friends? I'm sure they will love them. I did make those fresh this morning."

Placing a hand on Marinette's shoulder, Tom handed her a box of macaroons with a grin. Marinette smiled, taking the box of snacks from her father. He always knew how to cheer her up.

"Thanks, dad. I'm sure they will love them."

"You know me, I'm always willing to go above and beyond for you."

Seeing the cloak on the wall, she noticed she was going to be late if she didn't hurry.

"Shoot! I'm going to be late."

Rushing out the door, Tom chuckled at his daughter's antics. Before a frown grew on his face. As he looked out the window.

"Where are you, my boy?"