Chapter 31

September 2020

He did it. They did it. I guess we did it? I don't know how to explain the pride I feel in the fact that H1gher Music artists made the deadline and that they were able to release the albums on time.

The last few months have been short of stress filled. But eustress not distress, ya know? It's been plenty of late nights and even earlier mornings... but it's been so much fun. I got to see a side of Jay I've never seen or understood before. I get it now. I understand him so much better now that I think back to the days where I could only think badly of him because of his job... that was unfair to him and it makes feel bad.

But we said we won't dwell on the past. We're paving the way to a brighter and better future, that's our plan.

While they worked on the project, I tried my best to help out in any way possible. Store runs, grabbing needed equipment, and my favorite, cooking for the artists.

One day everything changed...

It was some random Thursday in August and Jay had no choice but to go to the office.

"Hey Jags, I'll be home later okay," Jay told some as he packed his work bag.

"Home later? What's going on?" I asked.

"We're cutting some tracks today and I got a ton of paperwork to go over. Today's gonna be a pain in the ass but I gotta go in."

"I mean if you have to," I pouted. I walked around the island and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "You have a good day and keep on your mask."

He smiled at me. "Of course. Gotta stay healthy for you." I laughed and slapped his shoulder.

"Gotta stay healthy for us. We have a long future ahead of us, right?"

"Right Jags." He kissed me on the lips and backed up. "I'll be home late as hell, so eat dinner without me. But if you cook, please save me a plate, you know how I love it when you cook. Bye Jags." With that he ran out the door, leaving me with what I thought was the greatest plan in the world. I was going to cook him something he was going to enjoy and bring it to him later. Even if I just leave it on his desk.

So I got to work. I went out the apartment for the first time in who knows how long to the grocery store to find some ingredients we ain't have in the house.

I came home with so many bags but I was so excited to get started. I can't remember when exactly the last time I made soul food but Jay brought it up every day for a week when I had made it.

I probably spent about half the day in my kitchen because it was dark when I finished cooking everything.

I made him the Gracie Special, baked porkchops with candied yams, mac and cheese, spinach (because I couldn't find collard greens), corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, and homemade cornbread.

I made his plate and wrapped it up before making my own, also wrapping it up in case we could eat together.

I called a driver and was quickly taken to Jay's work place.

I wanted to surprise Jay, so I didn't call ahead which turned out to be a mistake since I don't technically have the pass to get up stairs.

"Listen I know I'm wearing a mask today Yeonjun-sshi but you've seen me a bunch of times. Please just let me up," I pleaded in Korean.

"I'm sorry, but unless you have an appointment or a pass, I can't let you up. Rules are rules Grace-sshi," she replied. I mocked her in my head, rules are rules my ass. My boyfriend makes the rules!!!

"Ugh, Yeonjun-sshi please, I really realllyyyy reallllllly need to get upstairs because I-"

"Is there a problem?" A voice said. I turned around and celebrated in my head when I saw who the voice belonged to.