Chapter 22: Sexy in Baseball Pants

I fell back onto my bed after trudging mindlessly up the steps. I had spent the whole day at Bea's house doing nothing but watching TV, playing board games, listening to music, and of course, kissing. My day had been well spent.

And then Brody walked into my room with questions coming out of every hole in his face. I never even had a chance to close my eyes after laying down.

"How did it go?" He asked, leaning against my door frame with his arms crossed. I leaned back on my arms and shrugged my shoulders.

"It went as well as therapy could go," I answered. Besides all the depressing stories, it seemed to help Bea. It helped me realize how she felt about some things as well.

"Wanna talk about it?" He asked hesitantly. Our relationship had never been based on telling each other our secrets and feelings. It was always based on pep talks.

I shook my head. "I think I've had enough of talking about my feelings for one day." He nodded his head and opened his mouth to say something when his phone rang. He pulled out from his back pocket and took a seat beside me on the bed.

"It's dad," he said. I perked up a bit, wondering what reason he could have been calling for. Brody answered it, putting it on speaker phone for me to hear.

"Hello?" Brody asked.

"Hey, Brody. I'm glad you answered. Your brother never does," Dad grumbled. In my defense, he didn't call often. When he did, it was usually to scold us for something we did that our Aunt found out.

I chuckled, happy to hear my dad's voice. "Sorry, dad. I think my phone's off."

"Oh good," Dad cheered. "Both of you are there." Although my dad didn't call often, I loved it when he called. He always had some kind of new joke that even though it was lame, we laughed.

"What's up?" Brody asked after a short moment. I began to strip off my jacket and search for some shorts to put on.

"Well, I have some news," Dad said with a sigh. It was hard to tell if it had been a good sigh or a bad sigh. I dropped the pair of basketball shorts I had in my hands and sat back down on the bed. "It's about your mom. Honestly, I think it's a good thing. At least I really hope so, because she deserves it. She deserves her life back, boys." I could tell dad was getting emotional. It made me feel bad that we couldn't be there with him at the time.

"What is it, Dad?" Brody asked since I was unable to concentrate. I was feeling sleep deprived because of the day I had. Listening to depressing things and talking about your feelings drains a person.

"Your mom wants to see you boys. All she's ever talked about is the two of you and how she loves you. She really wants to see you. I know that she's said it before, but she's demanding it now." I took a deep breath after hearing my dad tell me all of that. It was mind blowing simply because I was under the illusion that my mother was gone beyond repair. She had a disease - one that took her away. She was physically with us for a few years after being diagnosed with it, but mentally she was never there.

Moving away from home and away from us seemed to be the best solution according to my dad and the doctors.

"What did the doctor say?" I finally found my voice through my shock.

"He said that it could be a break-through - it could really help her. I think it'd be a great thing to get your guys down here. Are you up for it?" After Dad said that, I began thinking about the last time I visited my mother in the home she lived in.

"That's great," Brody smiled. "When can we come up?" I stiffened while I waited for an answer. It came sooner than I could have thought.

"How about next weekend?" Dad informed us. "Bring your friends, make a vacation of it." I knew that the timing would work out since we had a show on Saturday of this weekend. We didn't have one for the next one.