Chapter 23: More Like a Cock Fight

I jumped into the pool, the cold water enveloping me. Bea landed right beside me with her dark hair floating around her face. I smiled under the water as I swam to her, pulling close to me and kissing her. Her eyes were shut and she almost fought against me but soon fell into the kiss.

"I wasn't sure if that was you, you scared the crap out of me," Bea said once we came up for air. I chuckled at her. Liam and Mia soon came over to the pool, ready to jump in and begin the game.

"Ready to her your ass beat?" Liam smirked. I rolled my eyes and ducked under the water, allowing Bea to wrap her legs around my shoulders while I held into her legs.

"I think it's the other way around," I told him with a wink. Mia climbed onto her brother's shoulders and readied herself to push Bea off my shoulders. Mia was only a little less as bad as Liam. She could put the fear of God in a person, though she'd never follow through. I glanced up at Bea before we started.

"Don't let her scare you, she's all bark and no bite," I whispered. Bea nodded her head nervously. "Bea's never played this before, so go easy on her, okay?" I announced just as Mia splashed water in my face, me accidentally swallowing it. I gaged a little bit of the water out.

"Sorry not sorry." Mia shrugged her shoulders. I glared at the two of them and charged. Bea thankfully was ready and was able to grab Mia's shoulders as she laughed at me. Liam lost his balance for a second but caught it as soon as he'd lost it. The perks of being an athlete. "This is more like a cock fight," Mia giggled.

"Sorry, Mia!" Bea yelled over our commotion in the pool. The adults that were sitting our the pool watched us and laughed, rooting for which team they wanted to win.

"Don't be sorry, Bea!" Mia replied and I was thankful.

Bea and I were able to dodge a few tackles made by Liam and pursed by Mia, but there was one where Mia had finally grabbed a hold of Bea's wrists, holding her from falling off my shoulders forwards. I felt her legs tighten around my shoulders and I looked up to see Mia staring at Bea's wrist.

"Finish them, M!" Liam called.

"Bea -" Mia started hesitantly until my legs gave out from underneath of me. I crumbled to the bottom of the pool, Bea falling off my shoulders. Mia fell under the water in front of me, her eyes squeezed shut and cheeks puffed out with air.

"We won!" Liam hugged a still-shocked Mia and tossed her under the water. I glanced over at Bea who was standing close by, staring at Mia.

I could smell the campfire burning from where uncle Jay was probably starting one to roast hotdogs and marshmallows on later. It was a family tradition we did every time Brody and I came home.

But even the smell of the campfire couldn't tear me away from Bea. She had the lost puppy dog look in her eyes which made me want to tear something in two.

Liam made a big commotion as he climbed out of the pool, completely oblivious to the scene going on between the three of us left. Mia slowly swam over to us and stopped in front of Bea. She glanced around to make sure no one was watching them enough to see what was happening. Then she made eye contact with me. Her eyes narrowed and I knew she could see the dangerous look in my eye.

"C'mon, Bea," Mia pulled Bea gently through the water and to the side of the pool where they both lifted themselves up to sit. With their feet dangling in the water, I swam over and stood at Bea's feet, resting my arms on them.

"Asher, can we have a moment alone, please?" Mia asked politely. I simply shrugged her off with a "no".

"It's okay," Bea said quietly, patting my shoulder. "I'll be fine."