Chapter 8

Kai's Point of View

I couldn't see. I began hyperventilating, my heart pounding in my chest. W-why can't I see?  I thought, panicking. I heard Hinata's voice next to me, "Kai Nee-San! Don't panic, you just have bandages around your eyes." Her voice was lined with worry as she calmed me. I felt myself calm down, though I was still a bit panicked.

"W-what happened, Hinata-Nee?" My voice was hoarse and I cringed at how weak I felt and sounded. I moved my hands to my face, feeling the bandages around my eyes and also some around my forehead. I put my hand out blindly so that she could hold it, giving me comfort. Getting the message, she held my hand gently. I could imagine the worried look in her pale eyes that matched mine.  

"You overused your Byakugan and you still need to recover from your seal being activated." A new voice said in the doorway. I smiled slightly as I recognized the voice.

"Mom." I said, a happy tone in my voice. My parents were both ninjas, but my mother took less missions than my father. My father was currently on a long mission, and we weren't sure when it would end, but we hoped it would soon. My parents were never really around that much, but my cousins have helped me when I needed them.

"I thought I told you to always rest at least a day before going out, let alone using your Byakugan." My mother's stern voice echoing throughout the room. I knew I was on a bed, but I didn't know where I was. Opening my mouth to speak, my mother cut me off. "You're at home in the Hyuga Compound."

I wasn't all that surprised that my mother knew what I was going to say. We had always had a deep connection and it was evident by the way we acted around each other and by the words we exchanged. "When can I get up? Or at least take the bandages off..." I said, trailing off as I thought of not being able to see. For a Hyuga with our eyes and how important they are, not being able to see was terrible, and often made us feel useless. I heard my mother sigh and I instantly knew it would be a long conversation.

"Hinata, I hate to do this, but can you leave so that I can talk to Kai?" My mother said. I guess Hinata-Nee had nodded and left, because soon enough the warmth from her holding my hand faded, but was soon replaced by my mother's warmth. I felt my mother's hand caressing my cheek and I leaned into her touch, feeling small again. "You're fine to walk around the house, and I guess you can go outside, but always make sure someone is with you. As for the bandages... You'll have to wait about a week before we can take them off. You really damaged your Byakugan when you used it even though the seal had been activated recently. Promise to never do that again okay?"

It was only now that I heard the sadness in her voice. I knew it hurt her to have her only child be in pain. I smiled regardless, "Okay. Maybe I can train my other senses while I'm recovering." I said, silently hoping that she would let me train. I didn't want to lose a week that I could spend training on just resting in bed, though I knew my mother was too protective to let me train.

I heard her laugh slightly, obviously trying to hide the pain she felt, "We'll see." I tried smiling at her, though I couldn't see if I really was smiling at her. "Anyway, some boys came to visit you while you were in bed. Who were they huh Kai?" My mother asked suggestively.

I could feel my face heat up as I struggled to explain, "M-mom! They're m-mine and Hinata-Nee's teammates!" I heard her laugh at my flustered face and I knew everything would be fine.

Author's Note

Hope this was a good chapter. It took me a while to work on it, even though it's not that long. I'll try and update the next chapter soon.