Chapter 16

Kai arrived at the Hyuga compound smiling. After telling Kiba her feelings, she felt a weight lifted off her chest. She could push back the nervousness she had about Neji participating in the Chunin Exams and just relax, but as she neared her house, her smile gradually fell. Her mother refused to even see her. The only thing that she did was tell Kai to go away, that Kai reminded her too much of her deceased husband.

Kai opened the door hesitantly, her smile replaced by a frown. Part of Kai was tired of it. She was so tired of her mother using her father's death as an excuse to ignore her. Kai had lost her father, but she did her best to get over it, unlike her mother who would spend nights looking at photos of their family and weep. Walking inside, Kai saw her mother sitting in the kitchen, staring ahead of her blankly. She approached her hesitantly her eyes gleaming with worry. "Mom? Are you okay?" She made sure no to get too close to her in case it would upset her.

Kai's mother closed her eyes, "I'm fine. Please go away Kai." Her mother looked stressed, but Kai pushed forward. She wanted her mother to happy again, and the only thing she could think of at the moment was to keep talking to her, to try and get her to return to her old self.

"Please listen to me. Please don't push me away," Kai pleaded to her mother. She moved forward slowly, "I just want us to talk again."

Her mother sighed, "Go away Kai." She spoke more firmly, trying to get her point across. "I'm still grieving, so please just...leave me alone." Kai couldn't help the anger that was building up in her. Her mother was using the same excuse she always did, that she was grieving and that Kai brought up bad memories.

Kai moved closer, not trying to keep her distance anymore. She began raising her voice, expressing her frustration. "No! You always say that! You keep saying that you're not over dad's death but you never will be if you keep living in the past! Please, Mom, just-"

"No Kai! Go away now!" Her mother had raised her voice as well as she clenched her fists.

"I'm your daughter! You can't just push me away and tell me that I'm bringing up bad memories." Kai calmed herself down, her voice lowering as she tried once again to reason with her mother. "I just want you to be happy." She placed her hand on her mother's shoulder, attempting to comfort her, but it was the final straw for her mother.

Her mother whirled around, outraged with tears streaming down her face as she did something that surprised herself and her daughter. Blinded by sorrow and anger, she slapped Kai with the back of her hand, yelling at her. "I said to go away!" Kai stared at her mother with wide eyes as she began to cry silently. Realizing what she had done Kai's mother lowered her hand, shaking, "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

Kai lowered her head, letting her hair hide her face as she cried, "It's okay. I shouldn't have pressured you." Kai took a deep breath as she tried to keep calm, "I'll just...stay with Hinata or Neji or something. I apologize for being such a burden to you mother." Kai walked away, her head lowered as her mother sunk to the ground, shaking as she cried.

"I'm such a horrible mother..."

..............

Once out of her house, Kai let the tears flow freely. Her mother had never hit her before, so Kai didn't know what to do. It wasn't that late, but she didn't want to disturb Hinata or any other main branch members. She wasn't as close to Neji as she was to Hinata, but she had no other choice. Kai knew where Neji lived since they were closer when they were younger, she just hoped that he wouldn't turn her away. By the time she reached Neji's home, her tears had dried, but she was still shocked by what her mother did. Hesitantly, Kai knocked on the door, part of her not expecting him to answer.

Neji opened his door, surprised to see his younger cousin standing outside, but his surprise didn't show. "What are you doing here?" Neji asked, his voice slightly monotone.

Kai shifted nervously, "Can I...stay here? Just for tonight?" She looked at him hopefully. If he said no she'd have to ask Hinata, but since Hinata lived with the main branch, Kai didn't want to disturb them. Neji looked at his younger cousin, not sure what to say.

He let out a small sigh, "I suppose you can, but this is only a one time thing." Neji's voice was stern as usual, but Kai didn't mind. She walked into his home, looking around curiously. "Why aren't you staying at your own home?" Neji asked her, his voice a bit harsh.

Kai shifted nervously. For a split second, she considered going back to her mother and staying with her, but Kai was nervous. Her mother's emotions were all over the place, and Kai didn't know how to react to it. "My mother and I... She hit me." Kai spoke softly, waiting nervously for Neji's reaction. Neji didn't know what to say.

"You can sleep here." Neji said, motioning towards a couch. His voice was slightly less harsh than before. Despite her cousins slight harsh attitude, Kai smiled at Neji. Kai knew Neji had issues with the main branch, and while Kai had gotten over it, Neji hadn't. She wished that Neji and Hinata would get along, but Kai knew it would take time. But Kai would wait an eternity for that day to come if she had to, she just wanted her cousins to be happy.  

Author's Note:

I had a lot of writer's block, but I hope this chapter is good. I tried not to make Neji too nice, so I hope it turned out okay. Thanks for reading.