Chapter 9

Kai's Point of View

A few days had passed since I had woken up in bed and panicked. By now the bandages around my forehead had been removed, as the seal took much less time to heal then my Byakugan, but because it made the seal visible, I kept the bandages on. I was allowed to go outside, but never exit the Hyuga Compound and go into the streets. My team had come to visit a few times, but Hinata-Nee came everyday, talking to me and telling me what they did in training. Over time I found myself missing things that I took for granted when I had sight. I longed for simple things such as being able to see a sunset or being able to see people's faces.

Neji-Nii even came and visited me once, keeping me company while Hinata was at training and my mother was out.

It was a quiet day, nothing interesting had happened and I didn't know what was to happen later on. I didn't know that both good things and bad things would happen, but I wish I could've prepared myself, for soon my heart would shatter.

I was having a pleasant conversation with Hinata-Nee, about something funny that happened in our childhood. My giggles still rang throughout the room when the door burst open. I heard footsteps and frowned as I was unable to tell who it was. "Kai!" The voice I immediately recognized as my mother spoke, "I have great new!" I could practically hear the smile in her voice, and that made me smile. I loved it when my mother was happy- she was probably the most important person to me. I opened my mouth to speak, but my mother interrupted me, a thing she did often. "We can take off the bandages!" I smiled widely and felt Hinata squeeze my hand lightly.

"Really?! Take them off now! Please!" I pleaded, anxious and excited to see everything again. I heard my mother laugh lightly and Hinata let go of my hand, letting it drop onto my lap. I felt my mother's warm hand slowly unwrap the bandages, eventually taking them off completely. Everything was bright, making spots dance across my field of vision. I blinked rapidly, adjusting to the sudden light. I saw Hinata smiling down at me as well as my mother's beautiful dark hair that pooled around her shoulders. I laughed giddily, happiness radiating from me.

"Now, Kai," My mother said, her voice stern. I was glad I could now see the stern look in her pale eyes that matched mine, though my mother could get a bit intense sometimes. "Try not to use your Byakugan too much. You can still use it, but only for training, nothing else. I know you like to use it when you go to the book store." I smiled sheepishly as my mother revealed my secret. I couldn't help it; what was the point in buying books when I could just use my Byakugan to read them in stores.

*~~~~~~*Time Skip*~~~~~~*

It was getting late, and Hinata-Nee was with me, watching the sunset. I heard a knock at my door, but my mother got it, so Hinata and I had a calm conversation as we observed the setting sun. Everything was peaceful, and I felt like my life was going just fine. I should've known that happiness can only last so long before it disappears.

"I'm not sure why Neji-Nee hasn't forgiven the main branch. It's not like he was the only one who lost something. Hiashi-Sama lost his brother and you lost your uncle. Besides, it's not even like all the branch family members hate the main branch. You're from the main branch and I'm from the side branch, but we sti-" We both froze as we heard my mother's loud sobs echo out onto the porch where we sat. Looking at each other, Hinata and I ran to my mother, to see her sitting on the floor, crying her eyes out with sobs racking her body. I knelt down beside her as Hinata-Nee ran to get some water for her. Her tears seemed endless as she kept on crying. "M-mom? Wh-what happened?" I asked, keeping my voice quiet and soft, worry obvious in my voice. As I spoke, more tears streamed down her face, landing on the floor softly.

I was about to speak again when my mother's scream cut me off. "Your father is dead!" Her scream pierced my heart. I felt as if everything was happening in slow motion. My mother continued to sit on the floor, sobbing loudly. I heard Hinata drop the glass of water she was holding, obviously having heard the news. My eyes were wide as tears built up in them, overflowing. My heart dropped to my stomach. I wasn't like my mother, my tears were silent yet flowed freely.

Running to my room and closing the door behind me,  I collapsed on my bed, my tears soaking the sheets. Managing to stand up, I walked over to my mirror, sitting on the floor in front of it. I slowed my tears, hiccups still occasionally making appearances as I tried to pathetically wipe my eyes, only to have more tears fall. I unwrapped the bandages on my forehead, letting my seal show freely. I heard Hinata open the door to try and comfort me, but I ignored her. I traced my seal, remembering my father's pale eyes that mirrored my own and his kind smile. "He lived in a cage." I managed to speak, my voice horse and shaky. I looked into my reflection, meeting my own pale eyes that were puffy and bloodshot. I managed to smile weakly, feeling more sobs about to escape me, "But wh-when he died, he died f-free!"

Hinata wrapped her arms around my sobbing figure, whispering soothing words into my ear, "He was free. One of our cousins is with your mother." I nodded, glad to know that my mother was safe, though in the same heartbroken state I was. Our live, though a bit unstable, was always pleasant. And I realized, our once pleasant life would only go downhill from here.