✧ ˚ 36 · thirty-six .

┌─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐

Ava's senses were met with the rhythmic beeping of a hospital monitor as she gradually regained consciousness. Her eyes fluttered open, and she felt a momentary disorientation before she tried to sit up, her body protesting with a surge of discomfort.

"Woah, Ava! Easy, it's alright. You're in a hospital," Peter's voice came from beside her, a mix of concern and relief evident in his tone. He hurried over to her side, extending a hand to offer support as she tried to rise.

"Hospital?" Ava's voice held a hint of confusion, her attempts to sit up causing the monitor to quicken its beeping, mirroring her growing unease.

With a gentle smile, Peter reassured her, "Hey, it's me, Peter." His presence seemed to anchor her, and she turned her head to meet his gaze, finding comfort in the familiar face.

"Is my dad okay?" Ava's concern for her father emerged, her brow furrowing as she grappled with the fog of her awakening. She shifted her position with Peter's help, determined to find out more about her surroundings.

Peter's expression softened with understanding as he continued to support Ava. "Your dad's fine. He's been here too, keeping an eye on you," he reassured her.

Ava let out a small sigh of relief, her tense shoulders relaxing slightly. "Good," she mumbled, her eyes shifting around the hospital room as she took in her surroundings. The beeping of the monitor began to slow as her anxiety gradually ebbed away.

"You gave everyone quite a scare," Peter said with a gentle chuckle, though his eyes reflected his genuine concern.

Ava managed a weak smile, her energy still depleted. "Guess I can't always rely on my force fields," she replied, her attempt at humour laced with a hint of self-deprecation.

Peter squeezed her hand gently, his thumb brushing over her knuckles. "You did great out there. And you're safe now," he assured her, his voice soothing.

Ava nodded, a mixture of gratitude and exhaustion tugging at her. "I can't believe this is how you met my family." She muttered, leaning her head back against the pillows.

Peter chuckled softly, his presence bringing a comforting warmth to the hospital room. "Well, it's certainly one way to make an impression," he replied with a hint of amusement. "But hey, at least we can say our relationship is battle-tested now."

Ava managed a tired smile, the corners of her lips lifting slightly. "Yeah, that's one way to look at it," she agreed, feeling a sense of closeness despite the chaotic circumstances. She shifted slightly, wincing as a pang of discomfort reminded her of her injuries.

Peter's concern was evident in his gaze as he leaned a little closer. "Are you in pain? Do you need anything?"

Ava shook her head gently, appreciating his attentiveness. "I'm okay, just sore," she admitted. "I'm more worried about you. You took quite a hit from Uncle Rhodey."

Peter shrugged nonchalantly. "Barely a graze."

Peter's grin was infectious, and Ava couldn't help but chuckle softly despite her discomfort. "You and your Spider-boy luck," she remarked, her affection for him evident in her gaze.

"Hey, it's not luck, it's skill," Peter replied with a playful wink.

Ava's eyes softened as she looked at him, feeling a warmth spread through her chest. "You're something else, you know that?" she said softly.

His gaze softened, a tenderness in his eyes that spoke of his affection for her. His thumb traced a delicate path over the back of her hand, his touch reassuring. "I could say the same about you," he murmured, drawing a little closer.