CHAPTER THREE: HOLLY, JOLLY

You wake up, early in the morning to Nancy slamming her door. 'I guess the party's over' you're thinking. You walk over to her door and knock "What do you want?" You keep knocking, "Who is it?, "its Lee. Lee Harrington." she opens her door and she looks like heck. "What is it?" She asks you, you start whispering to her mom doesn't hear "Well I just wanted to know if everyone has left Steve's house? I don't want to bother his friends", " uhm yeah they left last night, have a good day, Lee." She closes the door and you go back to the basement. You're sad to leave Mike but you have to go home. You leave out of the back door and bike to your house. 

Once you get there, you have no shame walking through the front door, since your parents aren't home. You see Steve outside his room and try to avoid him. "Hey! Where were you?", "At Mike's" you say quickly. "Ok." "How was that rager last night?" "None of your business" Steve says stepping towards you. You take a fast step back (Step forward step back and swing. Pls get that reference), and for a moment, Steve sees the fear in your eyes. "Come on man, sorry about yesterday. I was having a bad day. I would never hurt you, idiot". He pats your shoulder and pulls you close. You think he's gonna hug you but he gives you a nuggie instead. Once you make your way out, you say "oh my god" and roll your eyes and smile. You get back on your way to Mike's because you guys have another plan. Once you get there, you say hi to Mike and ask "So how'd you sleep" while grinning. He says "Better than I have for a while" He smiles back and you both blush. El is just sitting there. Lucas and Dustin arrive and you all get comfortable. Mike says "we can tell our parents we have after school AV club today. That'll give us at least a few hours for operation Mirkwood." -Mike. "You seriously think that weirdo knows where Will is?" -Lucas. "Just trust me on this, okay? -Mike. "Okay" -Lucas. "Did you get the supplies?" -You. "Yeah. Binoculars from 'Nam, Army kinfe also from 'Nam, Hammer, camouflage bandana, and wrist rocket." -Lucas. "You're gonna take down the demogorgon with a slingshot?" -Dustin. "First of all, its a wrist rocket. And second of all, the demogorgon's not real. It's made up.But if there is something out there, I'm gonna shoot it in the eye... And blind it." -Lucas. "Dustin what'd you bring?" -You. "Well, alrighty. So, we've got... Nutty bars, bazooka, Pez, smarties, Pringles, Nilla wafers, apple, Banana, and trail mix." -Dustin. "Seriously?" -Lucas "We need energy for our travels. For stamina" -Dustin. "What's your stock?" Mike say looking at you. "I've got my pocket knife, a lighter, and my undying love for Mike" (I cringed writing that, I'm sorry) you say that last bit, trying not to laugh even though all of it was true. He looks at you, blushing. "Well besides, why do we even need weapons? We have her." -Dustin "She shut one door!" -Lucas. "with her mind! Are you kidding me? That's insane! Imagine all the other cool stuff she can do" Dustin grabs a toy spaceship and walks towards El. "I bet... That she can make this fly, hey. Hey. Okay, concentrate. Okay?" Dustin drops it but it doesn't fly, he picks it up and tries again. It doesn't work. You slap your forehead with your palm and look at everyone else, who's also thinking that Dustin's an idiot. Mike walks up and grabs the spaceship "She's not a dog". His mom calls you guys "Boys! Time for school!" The other boys leave, but you wait for Mike to stop talking to El, once he does, you grab his hand and pull him upstairs. You go to his garage and grab your bike and ride to school with mike.

 You go through all of you classes peacefully although it hurts to look at Will's empty chair. In 4th period, you walk into class and see that someone spray painted on Will's seat. It reads "fruit cake". As much as it infuriates you, you already know who it was. Once you get to lunch, you and your friends go to this area on the side of a building, and look for rocks for Lucas' slingshot. Mike walks up to Dustin with a rock "How bout this one?" "Too big for the sling" -Dustin replies. "So do you think eleven was born with her powers, like the X-Men? Or do you think she acquired them, like... Like Green Lantern?" -Dustin. "She's not a Super hero, she's a weirdo." -Lucas. "Why does that matter? The X-Men were weirdos" -Mike. He was defending her again. "Well if you love her so much, why don't you marry her?" -Lucas. "What are talking about?" -Mike. "You look at her all, like 'Hi, El! El! El! El! I love you so much! Would you marry me!?' When you've literally liked someone else for years!" -Lucas. You were laughing until he said the last part. No one said anything but they all knew what he was talking about. You and Mike are both bright red. "Shut up Lucas!" -Mike. "Yeah, shut up Lucas!" You hear from the distance coming from none other than Troy. "What are you losers doing back here?" -Troy. "None of your business! And what makes you think you have the right to write on Will's chair? I saw it, Troy." -You. "I don't know what you're talking about" troy says smiling, taking a step towards you. You step closer as well and look up at him. "Stop lying, b***h" He punches you in the face and you fall down. You try and hit him back but Dustin holds your arms back. "Anyways you're probably looking for your missing friend." -Troy. "That's not funny. Its serious. He's in danger." -Dustin. "Hate to break it to you, toothless. But he's not in danger, he's dead. That's what my dad says. He said he was probably killed by some other queer" -Troy. "Well your dad's an idiot! I see where you get it from now!" -you say from afar. He steps toward you but stops and ignores you. He steps towards Mike and he pushes him onto the ground, hitting his face on a rock. You walk back up to Troy and shove him. He pulls your shirt and punches you in the mouth and it starts bleeding. You lick the blood off, and give him a bloody nose, he finally walks away. You walk up to Mike "You all right?" -You. "Yeah" -Mike. Dustin picks up a rock and shows the group "Hey. How bout this one?" You all agree with him. After talking about the rock, Mike starts to look at your mouth (BECAUSE IT'S STILL BLEEDING). Dustin grabs tissues from his backpack and Lucas gets water from his. Mike pours water on the tissue and starts wiping the blood off. Once you stop bleeding, it still hurts and leaves a mark. "Wanna kiss it and make it feel better?" You tease Mike. "I meann to make it feel better??" -Mike. "Yeah! Ofcourse" -You. "If you really want me to-" -Mike. " it'd make me better" -You. Dustin and Lucas are watching how you two are just shamelessly flirting with eachother. Dustin pulls Lucas away and they go to look for rocks somewhere else. You and Mike keep talking "If you don't stop me, I'm gonna do ittttt" -Mike. "Do itttt" -you. He leans towards you, waiting for you to stop him. Dustin runs around the corner, pushes Mike's face towards you, and runs back. Mike's lips touch your cheek, at least an inch away from your cut and your mouth. You and him turn red, he stops blushing, and thinks for a second. He gets close again and kisses your injury. You turn red and smile at him. You kiss him on the cheek, and say "Dustin and Lucas are waiting." (It's just innocent pecks, they're children)

You're still smiling at eachother until school ends. You all bike to the power wires and see El. Everything is back to the way it was. Mike is worried about El. Mike is defending El. Mike cares for El. But Mike likes you. "El, are you ok?" -Mike. El nods. She hops onto the back of his bike and you try so hard not to cry as she's holding onto him, and they're riding in front of you. You speed up, and rush in front of all your friends until you all have to walk your bikes, because of the rough ground. You're walking with Dustin and Lucas while El and Mike are up front, talking about Troy. "Why aren't you up there with him?" -Lucas. "I don't know ask him!" You say before speeding up and walking in front of all of your friends including Mike and El. Mike turns when he hears you yell, he knew exactly what You and Lucas were saying. He starts to look guilty and stops talking to El. While walking in front of them, you try so hard not to cry but it comes out looking like you're just mad as tiny tears start to form on the sides of your eyes. Mike tells El he'll be right back and walks up to you.

 You keep walking, ignoring him. He grabs you shoulder and you both stop walking you stay there for a while until the whole group passes you. "I'm really sorry I left you, its just I don't know how to explain it. I really really like you, but I don't know, El is just.. There" You look at him and he could tell he said the wrong thing, you walk faster again and walk next to Lucas and Dustin. After walking for a bit, El leads you to Will's house. She says "Here". " Yeah, this is his house?" -You. "Hiding" -El. "No, no, this is where he lives. He's missing from here, understand?" -Mike. "What are we doing here?" -Lucas. "She says he's 'Hiding'" -You. "Uhm, No!" -Lucas. "I swear if we walked all the way out here--" -Dustin. "That's exactly what we did! I told you she didn't know what the H*** she's talking about!" -Lucas. Mike turns to El "Why did you bring us here?" "Mike, don't waste your time on her" -Lucas. "What do you want to do then?" -Mike. "Call the cops like we should have done yesterday" -Lucas. "We are not calling the cops" -Mike. "Why? Is it because you want to protect your girlfriend?" -You. "Hey guys. Guys!" -Dustin. You all turn to look at police and ambulance sirens going off. "Sh**, don't tell me that's-" -You. (No, Georgie wore galoshes, IT reference) Everyone grabs their bikes and run in that direction. You ride your bikes as fast as you can, worrying about your best friend. You all hide behind a fire truck and watch. You watch as they lift your friend's dead body out of the river and put him on a raft. You can't hold it back anymore, you start crying and you sit on the floor, all hope lost. Dustin and Lucas are crying as well and they sit next to you embracing eachother. "Its not Will , it can't be." -Mike. "It's Will, its really Will" -Lucas. "Mike" -El. He slaps her hand away "Mike'? 'Mike' what? You were supposed to help us find him alive. You said he was alive! Why did you lie to us? What's wrong with you? What is wrong with you?" -Mike. "Mike" -El. "What?" Mike says before helping you up and pulling you by your hand and pulling you over to your guys' bikes. Lucas shouts at him in the distance but you weren't focused on him. You and Mike get on your bikes and ride a little away. 

Once you're out of sight you stop. He hugs you, as tight as he can. You cry in eachother's arms and get back on your bikes. You ride all the way to Mike's house and you say bye. "I'll come over tomorrow, goodnight Mike." -You. "Yeah, goodnight" He gives you one last hug and kisses you on the cheek, before waving and closing his door. You ride to your house, crying on the way, crying as you open the door, crying as you sit on the couch, and crying when you see Steve. "Hey, hey, hey. What's wrong? What happened?" -Steve. "They found Will." You say, sounding almost dead. He looks at you for a moment and realizes. He pulls you into a hug and you cry even harder. "We were gonna find him. We were supposed to find him!" -you. He comforts you and you fall asleep on the couch with dried tears on your face.