CHAPTER FIVE: THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

In the basement, El is laying down, Mike is pacing around, you, Dustin, and Lucas are sitting down. "What was Will saying? Like home... Like home... But dark?" -Mike. "And empty" -Lucas. "Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" -Dustin. "Yeah I think so" -You. "I don't know. The stupid radio kept going in and out" -Lucas. "It's like riddles in the dark" -Dustin. "Like home.. Like his house?.." -Mike says, still pacing and repeating his words. "Or maybe like Hawkins." -Lucas. "Upside down" -El. "Huh?" -You. "Upside down." -Mike repeats. "What?" -You. "Upside down." Mike says again, walking over to the flipped DnD board. "When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember? Upside down. Dark. Empty" -Mike. "Do you understand what he's talking about?" -Lucas. "No." -Dustin. You look at Mike "I mean, if you think about it. When El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?" -You. Mike nods at you, glad you understand. "yeah, and he wasn't there." -Lucas. "But what if he was there. What if we just couldn't see him?" -you. "What if he was on the other side?" He flips the board onto the playing side, "what if this is Hawkins" he flips it back upside down. "And this is where Will is. The upside down" -Mike. "Like the vale of shadows" -Dustin. "Precisely" -You. "Huh?" -Lucas. Dustin pulls put this pamphlet filled with stuff about DnD. He flips to a page that says the Vale of shadows. "The vale of shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world. It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters. It is right next to you, and you don't even see it." -Dustin reads aloud. "That's scary as sh**. Is anyone else scared as sh**?" -You. "An alternate dimension" -Mike. "But how.. How do we get there?" -Lucas. "you cast shadow walk" -Dustin. "In real life, dummy" -Lucas. "We can't shadow walk, but... Maybe she can." -Dustin. You all turn around and look at El. "do you know how to get there? To the upside down?" -Mike says to her. She slightly shakes her head no. "Oh my god" -Lucas says in annoyance. 

You guys sit down for a bit. Dustin leaves first, then Lucas. "I'm gonna go home, cya Mike" -You. "Okay, let me know when you get home, bye" -Mike. You smile at him and walk out of his basement door. As you start to walk to your bike, Mike runs out of his basement and up to you. "Oh, hey Mike did I forget something?" You ask as he's looking straight at you. He looks around the empty neighborhood and grabs your hands. He kisses you for about five seconds. "Stay safe" he turns back around and walks back through his basement door. He leaves you there, stunned and blushing. You start smiling like an idiot while you bike home. 

Once you walk in, you assumed your parents weren't home since they weren't for over a week. But you were wrong. You walk through the front door, smiling but it drops once you see your dad in the living room and your mom in the kitchen. It's not like you hate them, well yes you do hate them. You walk in, already knowing something is gonna happen. "Where were you at?" Your dad immediately says. "I was just at my friends house" -you. "What friend?" -Your dad. "Gee, I don't know, the one I've been friends with since 1st grade?" -you. "Don't talk back to me, kid" -Your dad. "yeah whatever" you say as you try to walk over to your room. He grabs you by the shirt and pulls you closer. "I'm not playing with you, boy." -Your dad. Steve walks into the living room and goes straight to you. He pulls your dad's hand off of you and you walk to your room. After about five minutes of them yelling, Steve walks into your room. "Hey, how was your friend's?". You look down and smile "great." "Why? What happened?" -Steve. "Well Harringtons attract Wheelers. Mike kissed me." -You. "Lets go, little dude. You've liked him for so long it was getting embarrassing" -Steve "shut up" -You say smiling. "Well, goodnight. I'll help you get ready for the funeral tomorrow. Sleep well, loser" -Steve. "Okay. Goodnight, weirdo" -You. He closes your door and you lay on your bed. Your eyelids start to get heavy and you drift off to sleep. 

When you wake up, you collect yourself and take a shower. You change into your brother's old suit and he fixes a tie around your neck. You're about to bike to Mike's house, because you need a ride there. "Where are you going?" -Your dad says, stepping into the living room. "To a funeral" -You. "Who died?" -Your dad. "Will, one of my best friends since first grade" -You. "Okay" -Your dad leaves the living room and you get to Mike's house. Mike's parents drive you to the funeral and a guy is giving a speech. Dustin nudges you and Lucas and looks at Jennifer Hayes who was crying. "Just wait till we tell Will that Jennifer Hayes was crying at his funeral." -Dustin. Mike's mom shushes him. After the funeral bit, Mike's mom drives you home.