CHAPTER FOUR

*Please note that this chapter has a character's dream/memory that may
be sensitive for some readers.*

FOUR
DAWN

I can hear him coming down the hall to my room. When the sound of my door knob jiggles, I clutch my blanket against my chest tighter. I breathe deep and hold it, letting it burn my lungs until I can’t help to exhale.

Cursing reaches my ears just before a loud thud has my door shaking. Sitting up, I crawl back so I’m braced with my back to the headboard and my feet tucked under my body. I watch in horror as my door begins to buckle under his weight.

“Dawn, what did I tell you?” Billy growls, his breathing labored and words slurred. “No door will keep me from you.”

“G-go away.”

“No,” The door flies open to reveal him. His clothes are rumpled, his button up shirt undone and hanging loose around his torso. He doesn’t have shoes on and his belt is undone too. Wild, drunken eyes take in my room before they land on me. “I don’t have to go anywhere, not when there’s a little treat right here.”

“I don’t want you in here.”

“This is my house!” He roars as he charges me.

I try to jump out of his way but he latches onto me, fingers digging deep into my arm. I’m no match for him and soon enough he’s got me pinned beneath him. His breath rolls over my face, smelling like whiskey, and I swallow back vomit. I open my mouth to scream but he slaps me across my face.

“Shut up!” He hisses. “I can’t have your momma coming in here, not before I’ve had my fun.”

“No-” He slams his hand over my mouth to muffle my voice.

Tears track down my face as I struggle but I can’t break free. I claw at his arms and kick at his legs but his fist hits me this time. I’m dazed long enough for him to worm his hand down the front of my pajama pants. As soon as he touches between my legs I start to struggle again, biting his hand over my face. He jerks back and I scream at the top of my lungs.

Just as he raises his hand, I hear a loud crashing sound.

I jolt awake as a body slams against my bedroom door. Just as it flies open, I scramble off my bed and tuck myself between it and the wall. Four bodies charge into my room, one making a straight line for me. As he reaches down to grab me, I start to fight.

“Fuck, Kara, it’s me! It’s Kent!” He yells, his voice registering and helping me remember where I am.

I’m in Sand City. My name is Kara and these are my roommates. They won’t hurt me.

“Of course we won’t hurt you.” Grant growls as Kent scoops me up and sits on my bed.

Shaking and panting, I sink into the warmth of his body and let him hold me. Grant sits beside him and starts to stroke my hair back from my face. When Atti crawls in my arms, planting herself on my chest and nuzzling her head against my chin, I start to cry.

“Is she, is she crying?” Tyler demands from the doorway.

The incredulousness in his voice only has me crying harder. Kent's arms tighten around me and, needing the comfort, I get as close to him as possible. Pulling my knees up, I turn my upper body into him and tuck my face in the crook between his neck and shoulder. I curl my arms around Atti’s softly vibrating body and I feel her rough tongue licking my arm.

“Fuck, Kara, stop crying.” Grant says as he sits beside his brother. Warm hands wrap around my feet, forcing my legs to uncurl so he can pull them on his lap. I tense but he just keeps rubbing and I slowly relax. “Better?” He whispers.