Ice Skating

December 13, 2016.

Eleven - Emma

It was starting to get dark outside and Emma was standing by the front door waiting for Taylor. Taylor walked to her, bundled up in a puffy coat, hat, and a red scarf. "You might want to bring a pair of gloves."

Taylor pulled a pair of gloves out of her pocket and held them up for Emma to see. "You don't look like you're dressed nearly warm enough, Em. Are you seriously not going to tell me where we're going?"

Emma shook her head and grabbed a light jacket from the closet behind the door. "No. I told you it's a surprise." The many layers on Taylor were meant to keep her warm, but also help her hide in plain sight on their way to the ice skating rink that Emma had rented out for the night. It would be cold, but not nearly cold enough to warrant having enough coats on that you look like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

There shouldn't be many people out and about tonight.

"Freddy, you ready mate?" Emma called down the hall to Frederick, their escort for the night.

Frederick came out from the kitchen where he was trying to give them privacy while still making sure Taylor was safe. "I am, Miss Renners. I thought we talked about you calling me Freddy?"

"I thought we agreed that I would stop calling you Freddy when you stopped calling me Miss Renners."

"After you, Miss Emma." He ushered her out the door towards the car that was waiting for them in the driveway.

"Freddy, stop calling me miss."

"After you, Renners." He made the same motion out the door but, when Emma still didn't move, he stared at her. She narrowed her eyes and stared back in a battle of wills, ultimately winning. "After you, Emma."

Emma smiled and walked out the door. Taylor was walking so close behind her that she could feel the edges of the scarf touch her neck. Emma knew Taylor had to be scared. It was the first time she had done anything like this since going underground. If anyone saw her, especially the media, it would be a shit show. Emma reached behind her to grab Taylors hand and squeezed it three times in an attempt to comfort her.

Just as Emma had thought, there was no one outside when they reached the car. Emma opened the door for Taylor and slid into the backseat after her. Emma could feel Taylor relax as soon as the door was shut and they were protected by the cover of extremely tinted windows.

"I swear there will be no one there. I made sure of it. A family friend owns the place and I trust her with my life. I didn't tell her who you were, I just said I was surprising my friend and wanted to rent out the place tonight." Emma said these words to comfort both Taylor and herself. As much as she had planned for tonight and made sure there would be no one around, Emma was still scared of all the what ifs. She would never forgive herself if she dragged Taylor back into the public spotlight, and she wasn't sure Taylor would forgive her either.

"I trust you. It'll be okay, I know that. Can I get a hint as to where we're going?" Taylor looked pleadingly at Emma, but she wasn't about to give it up that easily.

"We can play hot and cold if you'd like." The car ride wasn't very long, not long enough for more than a few guesses. Emma didn't think Taylor was going to have the time to figure it out before they got there.

"You know I'm turning twenty seven right? Not ten?" Taylor rolled her eyes at Emma but started guessing anyway. "A restaurant."

"Cold."

"A movie."

"Cold."

"Somewhere warm."

"Cold."