Cranachans

March 4, 2017.

Twenty five - Taylor

It had been thirteen days since Taylor had last seen Emma. It had been thirteen long days since Taylor had told her she made a mistake. She had made a mistake, but not the kind she had told Emma. The mistake was breaking up with Emma, it was never a mistake to date her. Emma hadn't been answering her phone, which was understandable given what had happened between them. Taylor had even texted Amanda and asked how Emma was doing, but Amanda didn't answer her either.

So there she was, standing at Emma's door at nine in the morning, praying that none of the neighbors would open up their doors and wonder what she was doing there. When she knocked there was no answer, but she didn't really expect one. It was foolish to be standing here and hoping that Emma would just forgive her with no questions asked. It was foolish to be standing here at all. Emma had no reason to forgive her.

Someone yelled something from behind the door and it unexpectedly opened. It wasn't Emma, it was Amanda. Amanda obviously hadn't looked through the peephole because you could see her face change the instant she realized who was at the door. "What do you want?"

Taylor stepped back for a second. "I just want to see Emma. Is she home? Can I come inside? I don't want anyone to find out I'm here."

"No." Amanda stepped back further into the apartment but left the door open. Despite the gesture seeming to indicate that Taylor was welcome inside, Amanda's face made it very clear that was not the case. "Emma's here. You can't come in unless she says so."

"Please. It's really important."

Amanda raised her eyebrows. "For you to see Emma, or for you to come inside?"

"Both."

"You can stay right here. I don't give a rat's ass if you're Taylor Swift, the pope, or the reincarnation of Jesus Christ. I hate you as much as you're supposed to hate your best friend's ex, and you can stay right there unless she says otherwise."

That was blunt, but probably deserved. "I really need to talk to her. I shouldn't have said any of that. It wasn't true. It was impulsive, I should have thought of a different solution to the problem." She wanted to apologize, to tell Emma what had actually happened instead of giving her fragments of the truth, even if Emma didn't forgive her for what she had said.

"I don't care if you didn't think through what you said. You're famous, don't lie to me and say that you've never had someone tell you to think before you speak. I don't feel sorry for you because you didn't think things through." With that Amanda went to slam the door, but Taylor put her fingers in the way before it had a chance to shut.

"Shit." She murmured and rubbed at her jammed fingers. "Can you please ask her if she will talk to me? Please."

Amanda nodded and shut the door all the way this time, presumably going to ask Emma. For the next few minutes Taylor wondered if she should just leave. Maybe Amanda had changed her mind about asking Emma. Maybe Emma had said no. Those thoughts left her mind the second Emma opened the door fully and moved out of the way to give Taylor room to come inside.

Emma looked terrible. She looked beautiful, as always, but she looked like she hadn't been sleeping as much as she should, the purple under her eyes said as much. Her eyes were sunken and devoid of any emotion, and the edge of her mouth had a dark scab on it that was probably a result of her biting at the same spot repeatedly.

Emma sat down on the couch, pulled her knees up to her chest, and tossed a blanket over her body. Taylor sat down opposite her on the couch, feeling uncomfortable at the distance that should have been perfectly normal. Emma was curled as far as possible into one corner and Taylor was sitting in the other corner, leaving a cushion of space between them. They had never sat with a cushion between them, not even on the night they first met, albeit some of that might have been because they were both tipsy. They rarely ever sat on separate cushions.